Re: Solidoodle Officially Closed

buyer could pack it all in a container and move it where ever and start selling/shipping printers and parts faster than Solidoodle did the last 2 years if Buyer already has a shop with techs doing similar work.

wonder if they settled things with China so ya wouldnt be tied up with the Press stuff. just a trip or 2 to NY and jump into business expansion.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Nice find!

n2ri wrote:

this would make the perfect merge for the E3D guys instead of their plastic framed printers.

As someone who has owned 3 Solidoodle printers and one BigBox:

The BigBox design (even in acrylic or wood) is considerably better than the Solidoode design. E3D selling printers with Solidoodle frames would be a step backwards.

the reviews on youtube claim they crack very easy even b4 unpacking. that seems like an easy way for it to shift or become loose which would not be good for fine detail printing. yeah the 4 corner bed makes more stable but still depends on a solid frame to keep all moving parts aligned.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

The cracking is from shipping damage, not during use.

30 (edited by Solidpro 2016-04-05 23:08:37)

I was looking into it a little, My concern is the Geetech Me Creator: mini. This is a fraction of the price (Made In China) and almost exact duplicate. Hard to compete with when it comes to sales. I back USA companies but it looks like the SD2 Pro has already been copied sad

http://soliforum.com/i/?Nz7dMjU.jpg

31 (edited by jagowilson 2016-04-06 00:38:07)

Electronically, I'm sure the Me Creator is an absolute nightmare.

Mechanically it certainly seems superior to a stock Solidoodle. Better coupling on Z, bearings on all axes, etc. However those are likely fairly poor tolerance LM8UUs on similarly poor tolerance shafts, so I'd anticipate replacing them. The wiring is a little funky and seems like it could get caught in the belts, but we'll chalk that up in the electronics category. The HotEnd is likely a clone of some sort as well and needs replacing to reduce clogging/fire hazard. Similarly for the bed, I'm sure the included bed is not only no good, but also a potential hazard.

If I bought one of those I'd tear it down and rebuild it to give the electronics a thorough pass-through and replace the parts mentioned.

32 (edited by Solidpro 2016-04-06 01:26:59)

Please don't get me wrong. I would not buy one, simply saying to the average new guy he would probably buy this since its cheaper not knowing the issues or problems it may have.599 to 349 or so.  people are looking to save $$$$ so buying a company that has been bloched with clones is tough. I was involved with a company that went through the exact issue, quality US made parts but customers bought the China stuff to save a buck.  Sucks..

I know its standard legalese, but is anyone else getting agiggle out of "and free and clear of any liens, claims, or encumbrances."    What, wiht the press arround the press, I'd say there's your encumbrance right there, specially if a large percentge of the 700+ printers in vrios sttes are non funcitonal mk 1 presses

SD3, Mk6 head, Lawsy Carrages. Direct drive. enclosure. Rep Host/cura. Rocking on Ubuntu.

34 (edited by mdrVB6 2016-04-06 16:35:01)

Gimme those printer frames!!! Man, I wish I could submit a bid for just those, I don't need all the other stuff.  I would setup a mini factory in my garage, order high quality replacement parts, and flip them for a profit on ebay.  Maybe I can follow the auction and see who the successful bidder is, then make them an offer.

http://static.auctionservices.com/images/71558852/DSC03417_large.JPG

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Did you look through the additional photos link?  There are a ton of empty frames.  It also says available in bulk or individually, so you probably could make an offer for just the frames.

mdrVB6 wrote:

Gimme those printer frames!!! Man, I wish I could submit a bid for just those, I don't need all the other stuff.  I would setup a mini factory in my garage, order high quality replacement parts, and flip them for a profit on ebay.  Maybe I can follow the auction and see who the successful bidder is, then make them an offer.

http://static.auctionservices.com/images/71558852/DSC03417_large.JPG

I too would love one of those old SD3 printers to mod on

I messaged them and made an offer on the 30 or so printers shown there.  They got back to me on the initial inquiry pretty quickly, then I put in the offer, so I imagine they will take some time to consider it.  If they accept it then I will have a lot of printers to list in the buy/ sell section here!

IanJohnson wrote:

Did you look through the additional photos link?  There are a ton of empty frames.  It also says available in bulk or individually, so you probably could make an offer for just the frames.

IMO, they really need the Z axis to even be worth messing with.  If I also have to rebuild the Z axis, I might as well buy some open beam and make my own frames too.

mdrVB6 wrote:

I messaged them and made an offer on the 30 or so printers shown there.  They got back to me on the initial inquiry pretty quickly, then I put in the offer, so I imagine they will take some time to consider it.  If they accept it then I will have a lot of printers to list in the buy/ sell section here!

in the extra pics they show over 100 frames and another over 100 printers in various assm most are SD@ and SD# with some SD4 and even work bench models.

I am interested in an SD3 printer mostly complete at least so I can add mods like an duel extruder, Rumba board, etc want to make a more advanced workbench apprentice model printer of it.

it would be cool to have a rack of say 8-12 same model printers as a factory even if just SD2s for mass small parts making. on one of those roll around wire racks like in walkin coolers to use in garage or someplace. saw that on youtube years ago using MB cupcakes in London a guy selling widgets on ebay back when a $1,000 printer was very rare to find. he paid much more for some of his.

that little 3 way combo sheet metal tool they picture is only $300 at Harbor Freight and not much for manufacturing those frames. way better Brakes etc can be had for a bit more. looks like Sam and crew had no mechanically inclined or tradesmen on staff for most of the manufacturing shop equipment. like Tinsmith, steel fitter, welder, layout man, fabricator etc

n2ri wrote:

that little 3 way combo sheet metal tool they picture is only $300 at Harbor Freight and not much for manufacturing those frames. way better Brakes etc can be had for a bit more. looks like Sam and crew had no mechanically inclined or tradesmen on staff for most of the manufacturing shop equipment. like Tinsmith, steel fitter, welder, layout man, fabricator etc

And yet, the frame was the best part of the printer!  Its just about the only part that I was completely satisfied with and never gave me any issues.

If anyone here scores the raw parts from the Presses from the auction, Please let me know.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

What's it worth?
Lots of parts and pieces. Do you get the racks too?
Could likely create an inventory from the 71 photos.
Surprised there taking bids on sets of parts - saw motors, and presses, plus all those SD3 frames and so much more.
Too many desk chairs.
Might fit into a moving truck. Lots of boxing.

Anyone interested in an LLC to buy?

Just random thoughts I was struck with.

spurtee wrote:

What's it worth?
Lots of parts and pieces. Do you get the racks too?
Could likely create an inventory from the 71 photos.
Surprised there taking bids on sets of parts - saw motors, and presses, plus all those SD3 frames and so much more.
Too many desk chairs.
Might fit into a moving truck. Lots of boxing.

Anyone interested in an LLC to buy?

Just random thoughts I was struck with.

they dont make a moving rental truck big enough other than like Mayfower movers simi trucks. lots more than it looks like plus a few other sites and states warehoused printers it says. thats why I said a container like a 40-50 footer for NY and surrounding sites plus a 20 footer from CA

then a med - large warehouse to put it all

n2ri wrote:

[

they dont make a moving rental truck big enough other than like Mayfower movers simi trucks. lots more than it looks like plus a few other sites and states warehoused printers it says. thats why I said a container like a 40-50 footer for NY and surrounding sites plus a 20 footer from CA

Penske rents trucks with 52' trailers, but you need a CDL in order to rent. The 26' trucks have air brakes, but do not require said CDL.
Penske prices vary depending on the month and date and even the day of the week. A 26' from the southeast to Brooklyn and back would cost $1,600 for mid-May. One way rentals are far more expensive.
I only know this because I know someone who rents them wink

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

47 (edited by n2ri 2016-04-07 23:58:25)

anything with Air Brakes requir class A CDL also if GVW is over 12k lbs class C and over 30K lbs class B. other things apply also. like special vehicles require CDL addon permits/tests for air brakes, Tanker, HazMat, passenger bus over 15 passengers must also pass a driven test with said Bus same for semi Trailers. I have Class C with Tnk, lost my HazMat due to not taking written test every year since not working which is another requirement. need Employment proof of vehicle being driven for most tests for CDL and a Current Physical as of a couple years back. some vehicles require a Chauffeurs license like if driving for hire also e.g. if you drive a rental for a company paying you. Insurance and background checks nation wide. you wont be covered legally or insurance wise otherwise. so whom ever told you a truck with Air Brakes dont need CDL is misinformed.

Tires and fuel are a major expence with large trucks and duel wheels are also covered in CDL tests. be sure and check if flats are covered by rental company with road assist. that cost (not counting any damage done during blow out) starts at $600 per Tire. and a pair of 100gal fuel tanks may be over your CC limit first refueling lol
thats why its easier to hire a shipper even if you pack and load. and buy shipping insurance

I would just like to say that I am very saddened by the news of Solidoodle's closing, I have used my SD 3 for almost 3 years . Thanks to and because of this machine and this forum I have learned so much about 3 D printing , electronics , CAD and mechanics. I  thank everyone on this forum for all the help and assistance them gave so freely and completely. As I write this note my SD 3 is sitting beside me printing parts for my youngest daughter's wedding reception. Last August it made stuff for my oldest daughters wedding . I pray that this forum will continue to lead and help others as much as it has helped me . To Solidoodle I say Thank you for getting me into 3 D printing. and long live the Soliforum

Post's attachments

P9050022.jpg
P9050022.jpg 70.3 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

PA130027.jpg
PA130027.jpg 67.39 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3, RAMPS 1.4, Lawsy's carriages modified by me, 2 SSRs, E3D V6, 2 Power supplies, Independent monitoring of both power supplies (amps and volts) also extruder and bed temps, Blue Tooth connectivity, bearings in all axis & rotational points, Y axis direct drive.  Remotely controlled power box on / off . Gecko Tec build plate . Renamed FrankenDoodle

n2ri wrote:

anything with Air Brakes requir class A CDL ... so whom ever told you a truck with Air Brakes dont need CDL is misinformed.

I'm afraid you may be mistaken.

But, what if my straight truck or passenger vehicle is under 26,001 pounds, but has air brakes. do I need a CDL?

No, you don’t need a CDL unless you’re going to haul hazardous materials or 16+ passengers,
including the driver.

Source:

http://www.cdltest.net/cdl-faq.html

A pair of 100 gallon fuel tanks would cost ~$500 to refill. I would imagine anyone putting in an offer on this would have a credit card limit considerably higher than $500.