Topic: Solidoodle Officially Closed

http://www.solidoodle.com/blog.html

They finally threw in the towel.  Amazingly, any customers who are still owed printers or refunds can get a Mod-T for free.

Re: Solidoodle Officially Closed

While not surprising, still sad to see. Glad they came out and explained. Quite cool of New Matter, too.

This bit:

I’ve now exhausted nearly all of my personal savings in an attempt to achieve the best possible outcome for everyone involved.

stood out to me. I wonder if he sought help of anyone outside Solidoodle in terms of business advice along the way.

What a shame. We knew this has been coming for a long while, but what's even worse is they didn't exactly leave on a high note.

I hope all employees can find a way to quickly land on their feet, and I'm glad the final customers are getting something out of an unfortunate experience.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

it is sad, but not completely unexpected. sad

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Sad Indeed. 

The Soliddodle will always hold a special place in my heart as it was my first 3D printer and it was through it, that I got here and became part of the larger community.

R.I.P. Solidoodle
http://femoticons.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/smiley-sad.png

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Solidoodle was my first foray into 3D printing.  Although the experience was far from perfect, I learned a lot from it.  I'm sad to see them go as well.

For archival purposes

Solidoodle Announces Suspension of Operations

March 28, 2016 by Sam

Solidoodle Community,

Today, with sadness, I am announcing that Solidoodle is suspending operations.

A few years ago Solidoodle was one of the leading manufacturers of consumer 3D printers, with 70 employees and over ten thousand units shipped. Regrettably, we stumbled on the launch of our 5th generation product, the Solidoodle Press, which fell short of our high standards for providing an outstanding consumer experience. This led to a downward spiral of declining sales and layoffs that further hindered our ability to deliver a great consumer experience.

From 2011 through 2014 we assembled our first four product generations at our own factory in Brooklyn. Soon demand began to grow so large that we felt it would be difficult to scale effectively in Brooklyn, so we sought to partner with an outside assembly factory. We had been largely successful purchasing components in China, so manufacturing our entire product there seemed like the next logical step.

However, this proved to be much more difficult than expected. Despite spending months in China building the partnership, training workers, and inspecting finished units, the factory shipped units which did not live up to our standards. This setback was exacerbated by the 2014 West Coast Port labor dispute and slowdown, which kept hundreds of printers ordered for the Holiday Season from arriving until March. Had they arrived on schedule, we would have had much more time for testing and inspection, and would have realized crucial cash flow much sooner.

We were able to raise some turnaround funding in July 2015, but, despite the support of our investors and the heroic efforts of our team, we were unable to revive sales and return to profitability. As a result, at the end of 2015 Solidoodle ran out of cash, stopped taking new orders, and laid off it’s employees. I’ve now exhausted nearly all of my personal savings in an attempt to achieve the best possible outcome for everyone involved.

While we have been able to fulfill our outstanding orders (with very few exceptions), there remain a few dozen customers still owed a refund for a returned or undelivered product that we cannot honor. While the company has no cash remaining to issue refunds, we have been working behind the scenes to try to make up for some of your loss.

New Matter, makers of the award-winning MOD-t 3D printer, have graciously offered to ship a FREE MOD-t to all Solidoodle customers who are due a refund. I am very grateful to Steve Schell and the New Matter team for their generosity and dedication to the industry. They were under no obligation to step up and are receiving no financial compensation to help us. Those customers with Solidoodle refunds due can contact New Matter at [email protected] by May 1, 2016 to follow up on the free MOD-t offer, or go to www.newmatter.com and sign up for their email newsletter to learn more.

For assistance and support issues, I enourage our customers to visit the soliforum.com site, which has become a great community over the years and has proven to be a valuable resource.

While the Solidoodle chapter is unfortunately coming to an end, it’s important to remember that together we achieved many successes. Since 2011 we showed the world that 3D printers could be made both affordable and accessible to put the means of production into the hands of average citizens. We shipped over ten thousand 3D printers to customers in 60 countries. Customers have used those 3D printers to unleash their creativity, teach children about technology, and even print prosthetic hands for amputees. Together, we played an important part in advancing 3D printing from a relatively unknown technology into a powerful force of creation. While the Solidoodle era is ending, the digital manufacturing revolution is only just beginning. I’m grateful to have taken this journey with all of you and I have great faith in the human spirit of creativity to continue using technology to build a smarter, happier, more sustainable society.

Sad indeed, if it weren't for Solidoodle I most likely would have never gotten involved with 3D printing.  All the problems challenged myself and many others to learn.  This is what makes this community so awesome, every day I learn something new from someone here.  So for this community I say thank you to Solidoodle for getting us all started.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Very sad to see. Makes me so grateful I bought my SD4 when I did

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

All of our Solidoodles are collectors items now -- we just need to hold on to them for a couple dozen years.  :-)

I echo what a lot of you have said.  I'm thankful for the affordable entry into 3d printing that they provided, for the community they spawned here and the learning experience putting it back together so much when it broke.  Unfortunately the lack of information and honesty along the way has let them go out on a sour note, which to me is the real tragedy.   Big thumbs up to New Matter on stepping up in a big way for the ones who didn't get a fair shake, hopefully they get a big PR boost out of it and get some good will coverage in the community.

12 (edited by IronMan 2016-03-29 20:43:36)

Very sad indeed...but I am heartened that this Community will live on!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Sad indeed, but I still have no regrets about buying either my SD2 or 4.  Like others have said, I learned a lot along the way and enjoyed modding my printer and occasionally printing something useful, haha.  I went from knowing nothing to building 4 printers in the last 2 or 3 years, all from the base knowledge I got my my solidoodle.

I'll will also be sticking around this community.  I wonder if it will eventually turn into a wider community for more types of printers or if it will stay basically the same?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

It is indeed very sad, but not surprising. I did comment on their Facebook page requesting they release their files. I doubt anything will come of it.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

agreed, also saw the 1st Time this forum was talked about by Sam in this letter, too bad it was after he failed when he listened to us. I still plan to add an SD3 with my SD2 though it will be heavily modified into an Work Bench Apprentice PRO. wonder what will become of whats left of the NY Factory etc. would be nice if a modified version of the NY models could develop from it even if by somebody else.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Here's a nice article by someone that stopped by Solidoodle HQ recently, with a couple photos:

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2016/03/2 … perations/

And that's that.  Damned shame, I'm still getting great prints outa my Sd3

SD3, Mk6 head, Lawsy Carrages. Direct drive. enclosure. Rep Host/cura. Rocking on Ubuntu.

elmoret wrote:

Here's a nice article by someone that stopped by Solidoodle HQ recently, with a couple photos:

http://3dprintingindustry.com/2016/03/2 … perations/

Dumpster diving?? Must be spare parts somewhere!

What will happen to all the spares? I would love to get the aluminum platform to replace my wooden SD2Pro one.

Solidpro wrote:

What will happen to all the spares? I would love to get the aluminum platform to replace my wooden SD2Pro one.

Sadly, we will probably never know.  If there was a bankruptcy auction or something, I would love to grab a few frames and Z axis parts to experiment with.  But with these types of auction, you typically have to be present as shipping is not offered.  And that's even if there happens to be any parts left.  If I was in NYC, I would absolutely have been looking around those dumpsters...

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

http://www.maltzauctions.com/auction/28 … ufacturer/

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

thanks

I know I'm new to the forum but from what i can see most all the parts with regards to the frame/box are obtainable through resources. It is a shame to see them close up...

Solidpro wrote:

I know I'm new to the forum but from what i can see most all the parts with regards to the frame/box are obtainable through resources.

You are 100% correct. Aside from the frame, everything is replaceable with a little effort. Even then, if one were so inclined, you could build a new frame from extrusions and printed mounts.

anybody on here put in a bid? this could be a small gold mine if done right. clear up some customer back log and get into the original models made in Brooklyn using Upgrades like we have done on here the last couple years even if base price is a couple hundred more its worth it for the mods. this would make the perfect merge for the E3D guys instead of their plastic framed printers.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs