Topic: Blender help/ Advice

From all accounts  through a bit of research Blender seems to be the go to software for 3D design of just about all types.
I am pondering jumping in and learning for designing /sculpting for 3d printing. My focus right now is just designing for the printer even though Blender has lots of applications like game character  and scenery design. Scuptris is also free but seems like it is limited and there are fewer users. I have done the jump from one free software to another with cad programs  and know from experience, this is a frustrating endeavor.

My motivation here is a little more than personal. I have a love and enthusiasm for 3D printing and love the technical side. I have found myself volunteering and teaching at a local maker space. And we have a U print SE. So part of my "job" beyond teaching 3d printing is creating enthusiasm for Using this printer and to do that I need to get people enthusiastic about creating objects they are willing to pay to have printed. at very reasonable prices.  We havan eva 3d scanner that is getting use and attention. And I am teaching 123D Design as part of the mini course I am teaching. And we have Inventor that can be used. 
So I am thinking How do I create enthusiasm and reach out to the folks that want to do 3d sculpting? 123D Sculpt looks great  but limited to the I pad . May be a great outreach to students with Ipads, Hmm. But what about the rest of us ? Is blender the way to go. It has the rep for a steep learning curve.  What resources should I tap into to learn this . What pitfalls should I avoid. Blender offers a video tutorial for learning to use the program to design for 3D printing , is it worth the $20 or whatever is is.   How did you folk that use blender for the printer learn? I know learn the basics and practice but I also know 3d graphics can be 3 steps forward and two steps back some days. and the little things can seem like walls at times.   

I know this is a bit long and I may have rambled a bit but really could use some sound advice.
Thanks in advance.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: Blender help/ Advice

for a "sculpting" program, look into Sculptris - it is put out by Z-Brush and pretty easy to get a grasp of - and it is free to download.
You start with a ball of virtual clay, and push, pull & poke it to sculpt your piece - almost like working with real clay.

Blender is, without a doubt, a very versatile program, but has a rather steep learning curve.
I use it a lot for making modifications to existing stl files, and for creating 3d logos from a picture - not so much for sculpting things, but I am not really that good with it, either. I have a decent grasp of the basics, but nothing really advanced.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thanks heartless !! I have been spending hours watching  videos on youtube on blender. The ones directed to 3d printing. Definitely a powerful program with lots of control but also seems like you need to remember a lot of hot keys.
Another concern Is my laptop is just above minimum requirements with a 64 bit dual core and 4 mb of ram.  and  2.2mhz clock speed. It may be time to get a new laptop .

I will be looking into sculptris some more and probably try it. This virtual clay will be new and my real clay experience is very limited to say the least IIRC I did a truck similar to Mader one family night many years ago. Times have changed. I remember as a kid carving from ivory soap.
Thanks again
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

4 (edited by heartless 2016-03-29 00:14:29)

can you add memory to your existing laptop or is it maxed out? Might be a cheaper way to go for short term if you can add to what you already have - just a thought. my current desktop isnt much more than your laptop - except in the memory department... 64 bit dual core 3.0mghz processor, but I have 12gig of RAM installed - makes a world of difference.

I haven't done any clay sculpting since I was play-do age, LOL (waaaay back when..) but picked up on Sculptris pretty quickly. it is fun to play with. Havent actually tried printing anything made in it yet...one of these days... tongue

Blender is definitely a powerful program, and it will do so much more than I have even tried to do with it - I have barely scratched the surface as far as that goes. but I can do some pretty cool logo stuff with it... this is one for a local cheese company (intended to be a multicolor print, thus the different heights)...

http://soliforum.com/i/?0ZHuext.jpg

created from this pic of their logo..

http://soliforum.com/i/?DMlSq6r.png

I have also done some school logo stuff on a couple of my brain teaser puzzles for people...

Valparaiso University
http://soliforum.com/i/?UBO3vHR.jpg

U of M
http://soliforum.com/i/?dXynf5A.jpg

and a high school in Minnesota
http://soliforum.com/i/?tH8RMxO.jpg

the bases of the puzzles were created in 123D Design - to add the logo, I first create the 3d logo in Blender, then import a copy of the base to Blender, scale the logo to fit and join the 2 together.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Cause Minnesota ROCKS!!! wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

LOL, only certain parts of it. wink

heartless wrote:
wardjr wrote:

LOL, only certain parts of it. wink

Let me know which parts those would be and I'll go visit them wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Back when I had a corporate gig, I used the expensive commercial modeling programs. Now I are self-employed, I'm using strictly freebies. As it happens, when it comes to organic shapes, I rough them out in Sculptris and finish them in Blender (though I think I'm the only person I know with that workflow!). The free tools aren't quite as functional as the paid tools, but for what I'm doing, the difference is vanishingly small.

Blender, like all full 3D programs, has an incredibly steep learning curve. Just remember, for your purposes, you only care about mesh modeling. Don't get off in the weeds with lighting or animation or anything!

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2016-05-10 00:22:50)

staoty thanks for the info.

I rough them out in Sculptris and finish them in Blender (though I think I'm the only person I know with that workflow!

Well it may be unique and t makes sense. And if you make a living with this method it must have its merits.

The free tools aren't quite as functional as the paid tools, but for what I'm doing, the difference is vanishingly small.

so true the OS stuff is getting better and better.

Blender, like all full 3D programs, has an incredibly steep learning curve. Just remember, for your purposes, you only care about mesh modeling. Don't get off in the weeds with lighting or animation or anything!

Sage advice , the applications are seemingly endless so it only makes sense to focus on the one application of interest. 

One weekend I spent many hours watching blender and scuplrit tutorials.  I Will likely hold off for a while my humble laptop will likely choke on it i may try sculptris. When I feel like i have time to work with it.

BTW welcome to the forum
Tin

complicated objects in Sculptris will eat memory as well, the more polygons you create (every time you "sculpt" something, it creates more polygons), the slower it will run.

In all honesty, I think Blender will probably run better than Sculptris will on your humble laptop.

Memory is going to be your biggest limiting factor. the more you can utilize, the better off you will be

Thanks for the welcome, tin. I didn't really do 3D for a living, I worked in an engineering co. art department and did all kinds of technical drawing. 3D was something I did once in a blue moon, but it was my favorite thing EVER.

I never worked with it enough to master it, so I promised myself I would when I had the chance. I highly recommend splashing out money for a month or two and joining CGCookie. It's a coherent, step-by-step series of tutorials. You could whip through all the mesh tuts pretty fast. You can get some pretty dodgy and piecemeal advice from YouTubes (though I hit them up all the time for quick questions).

Sculptris has a reduce brush for simplifying geometry, which I use heavily. My current machine is fairly strong, but I really don't think the program has a high overhead if you watch your topology. It's really best for organic shapes, though -- sculptural things. For hard surface modeling Blender is your pal. And since you'll need to learn Blender anyway...

Oh, and Blender has Sculptris-like tools built in, I just don't find them quite as intuitive.

Well I did it  i set up a class 10 sd card as an accelerator chip effectively doubling computer memory and I downloaded sculptris to learn. Some of the tools  are intuitive but seems like little steps are the key try to do too much in a mouse click and things can go sideways fast.
I really need to get back into  DRSB (Drawing on the right side of the brain. I learned to draw years ago but need some practice. Retrain the eye and mind.
I am thinking setting up a track ball as well.

Tin

I love my trackballs and wont give them up, but most modeling programs are not set up for use with them (middle mouse button/scroll wheels, ugh) There are workarounds, but every program will be a little different as to what they are.

If you focus on just mesh modeling, Blender is not hard to use - don't let it scare you. LOL and there are plenty of you-tube tutorials out there you can pick up the basics from.

don't let it scare you. LOL and there are plenty of you-tube tutorials out there you can pick up the basics from.

I did watch a bunch of videos awhile back does not seem to scary . but I have heard the warnings to stay focused and stay off the rabbit trails.

the track ball I have is a hand me down not sure if the switches work may need a rebuild  but it does have a scoll wheel built in.

Just enabled the Logitech M570 . Acting a little erratic but seems to be settling in . If it dies I either by a handfull of miro switches or order a new one. nothing ventured nothing gained.

Tin

16 (edited by heartless 2016-06-17 12:04:00)

ah, yeah, that one is a bit different than mine... I use the Logitech marble mouse (ball is on top & operated by fingers, not thumb). I went that route because of carpal tunnel problems - easier on the hand. hmm  It does have it's limitations, but I have learned to deal with them.

yours will be much more compatible having the scroll wheel.

FWIW - Blender is great for tweaking existing stl files - I haven't really found anything else that will do what it does (maybe Meshmixer? but not well enough versed in that yet to make a good comparison)

I decided to bite the bullet so to speak and get afresh M570 they were on sale at best buy for $ 27 and change plus the Governor's share . The hand-me -down  track ball was a bit erratic . The new one smoother . I can download tuning software if needed.
At some point I will download blender.

Tin

I used to use Logitech MX Revolution, which I think is probably one of the best all-round mice ever made, but lately the battery couldn't hold a charge even for a day.

So what does one do when the battery needs replacement... one buys another mouse.  The mouse I got is the Razer Ourboros. 

This is also a wireless mouse, but can also be used as a wired mouse, by simply unplugging the USB cord from the charging dock and plugging it directly into the mouse.  This particular mouse is aimed at gamers, but I think it's awesome for just about anything, including accurate drawing and CAD work.  It's also very configurable not only in terms of button assignments ans such, but in terms of ergonomics.  It has side plates like wings that give it a very "planted" feel, the palm rest can be moved back and forth to stretch the length, and can also be raised to suit your hand position.

All this and it looks like a transformer spaceship.  Check it out, I highly recommend it.

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-mice/razer-ouroboros

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad176/frozenbhert/Razer/razerouroboros4.jpg

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

that is quite the mouse, pirvan.

but the thing is, I don't want to have to move a mouse around - with a trackball, you only roll the ball, the rest stays stationary (great when you don't have a lot of space to work in, and it is less stress on the hand)

I use a Wacom digitizer tablet for Photoshop, Illustrator and other programs like it, I also use touch pads like the Apple Magic Pad, and of course mice.

But I never could get the hang of using a trackball.  To me it always felt uncomfortable.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

But the thing is, I don't want to have to move a mouse around - with a trackball, you only roll the ball, the rest stays stationary (great when you don't have a lot of space to work in, and it is less stress on the hand)

Exactly!! My friend who gave me the old tack ball works on a computer tyicaly 10 hours a day. Between work and personal use. He also had shoulder surgery so ergonomics very important.
Tin

pirvan wrote:

I use a Wacom digitizer tablet for Photoshop, Illustrator and other programs like it, I also use touch pads like the Apple Magic Pad, and of course mice.

But I never could get the hang of using a trackball.  To me it always felt uncomfortable.

they do take a little getting used to, but once you do, it is very hard to go back to a regular mouse. I used our laptop when I went back to school and had a mini mouse for it - that felt awkward for me, LOL.

I have used a trackball for so long now it has become second nature

this is the one I use: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/trackman-marble
works for both left & right handed folks and the slim profile saves space (i have a small desk for one computer) I find I have excellent cursor control when working in Photoshop, and other programs, and it is quite easy on my hand. I also have a Kensington version that was given to me that is very similar hooked up to the printer computer, but it has a wider/shorter base (not as comfortable). May pick up another Logitech to replace it.

the one that Tin has, has more functionality than mine, but I find that style awkward to use.

Well as i mentioned I downloaded sculptist.  I opened the program tried it some . did not save my first attempt the nose was decent the rest a bit ugly. Tonight decided to take another attempt. And  the program just will not load!!! idownloaded and installed a couple times no joy . I guess the next attempt is uninstall then reinstall . run no error. HMMM
tin

what kind of computer/OS are you trying to run it on? I have no problems on my Win7 machines (have 2 computers, both with Sculptris installed)

Win 7 I uninstalled then reinstalled !seems OK after that .
Tin