Re: CNC Machine

iowa james, I haven't actually cut anything beyond hardwood on the work machine. I want to machine 2D profiles from 5-8mm aluminium plate on the new machine at home.

Can you recommend depth vs feedrate for this?

eg. When machining hardwood I'll go 10mm depth per pass and 500mm/min feedrate.

Use a carbide end mill, I assume you have the 1/8" collet? Get a good cutting oil and start cutting slowly, with very light passes. I would recommend starting out at a safe speed & feed until you find a comfortable rate. Your spindle may be weaker than mine was, or stronger for that matter. I'd say, start out by jogging down to the aluminum, feeding in 1mm after a shot of cutting oil & try 10mm/min with a shot of cutting oil a few mm in. Check the chips produced, is it a fine chip, like sand? If so, you should be fine with using cutting oil at that speed.
In a large VMC, or lathe, or what have you, you want large chips with good heat xfer, but trying to chew large chips with the tiny spindle on my CNC 3020 would have shattered my end mill or stopped the spindle.
Forgive me if I sound scatter brained, been a long day. The moral is, go SLOW, the little machines just don't have the power for high speed stock removal.

No trees were harmed in the creation of this email, though some electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

28 (edited by techbuilder2175 2013-11-19 18:17:49)

If you want proper feeds and speeds use g wizard, it's by far the most used
tool at my shop and I love it.

It will give you the best feeds and speeds based on your machine and tooling possible.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCSoftware.html

You will spend more time and effort if you try it the old school way and ruin more tooling and material
in the process.

Take it from a machinist who owns a shop

Powder coated steel enclosure, 1/4" Surface grounded hardened aluminum plate, MK2A Heat bed, .200 Polished fused quartz plate, Machined quick change hot bed mount, E3D hot end, Ramps 1.4, DRV8825 stepper motor drivers

For anyone interested I have just ordered the x6 1500 from carving-cnc:

http://www.carving-cnc.com/x61500series … chine.html

It's basically a 6040 but compared to all the similar ones on ebay, it has a larger 1.5kw spindle with er16 end, integrated vfd to the control box, and most importantly, a mach3 usb board so the machine can be run from a regular laptop.

I've also ordered a cheap 2nd hand win7 laptop and an er16 collet set. I will soon order some nice carbide cutters.

When it comes (apparently 2 weeks from China) I will make a thread documenting everything.