Re: Considering attempting this mod: Solidoodle Core XY conversion

Nice work!!!
I'm no stranger to mods, that's for sure wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Come on ward, you know you want to do this mod.  I know you've got a couple solidoodles around, you should convert one of them!

Here is the first calibration steps after setting E steps/mm.  Nailed it!  I'm very happy with this printer so far.  The only complaint is that its hard to get the extruder tension set just right without a spring, so I might be going to an air tripper extruder or mount a Titan as bowden.

http://i.imgur.com/3We9Lsk.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/PqmQrRK.jpg?1

It the calibration steps at .30mm layers.  It is not actually rough at all, the first photo is just showing the LED reflections.  Second photo shows the finish a little better.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Pretty substantial reduction in ringing it looks like compared to stock, what speed did you print that at?

This was only about 30 mm/s.  The printer can go faster but I am actually chasing an extruder issue that is limiting it right now.  The Voron flex bowden extruder that I am using either requires more torque than my 0.9 can put out, or I am having difficulty dialing in the tension arm tightness.  I'm getting some skipping at the extruder.  I'm sure I can get it dialed in and I'm looking forward to testing it at 100 mm/s.

I would be interested in trying this mod. I have a spare SD and I'm looking for a project. When I get near a computer I'll dig a little more into this thread.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

31 (edited by mdrVB6 2016-04-23 01:34:30)

Awesome, I'm glad to hear somebody wants to do it.  I'll put together a BOM soon but probably the only thing you might not be familiar with is the flanged bearing pulley idlers:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141339438982?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

You will need (2) of those since the total quantity need is 16 bearings. 

Also:

There are several low profile M5 bolts and nuts that I will detail. (and washers)
Some longer GT2 belts.
You should already have the GT2 5mm bore pulleys from your solidoodle X axis. 
The Y stepper could be reused as one motor and you will need one more NEMA 17.
Pick up a 5mm and 8mm drill bit.  (the mounts are parametric in openscad.  You might get away with M3 screws.  the 8mm is for clearing out the Y rod holes in the mounts).
Assemble your choice of bowden extruders and find a plan to mount it on the back.

The carriages have actually been redesigned since I printed mine.  I'm only getting 110 mm of bed space on the X right now but I suspect I will be closer to 140 once I get those on.  The bed will have to be moved back about 30mm to get some Y axis space back.  This will be kind of a pain since I'll need an M4 tap and the drill bit that goes with it.

I want to redesign the motor mount just a little bit to relocate the Y end stop so that it does not contribute to the limited X space.  Probably only about 2 hours work, but I don't know when I'll bother to do it.  I think that's it for now.

What about trying this on a sd2?