Topic: 3D printing and internal geometry?

Hello,
So I have been modeling the Blender for a few months now, and want to start learning how to print what I model on my printer. I been getting mixed answers about this so I hope to get a final answer.

I was wondering if its bad to have internal geometry and/or intercepting faces for 3D printing it?

I was told that as long as there's no holes or weak/thin parts, its fine for printing. Since whatever you see rendered, is ok to print. Is that true?

Re: 3D printing and internal geometry?

It depends on who/what is printing it. I only have seen internal faces when I used Sketchup or some other mesh program which requires you to convert the mesh to a solid. Since I switched to Autodesk's 123D Design, which is a solid (not mesh) modeler, I've not had any such problems. Like Sketchup, it is free and really easy to use.

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

Heartlander wrote:

It depends on who/what is printing it. I only have seen internal faces when I used Sketchup or some other mesh program which requires you to convert the mesh to a solid. Since I switched to Autodesk's 123D Design, which is a solid (not mesh) modeler, I've not had any such problems. Like Sketchup, it is free and really easy to use.

Im printing with Repetier Host on my S4. Yeah Blender is a mesh modeling program. So does having intercepting faces and internal geometry matter if I make them a single object?

as long as everything is properly joined into one object, it should be ok. My suggestion is to export the model as stl and then import into netfabb (either online or basic version downloaded to your computer) to check for errors. If the model checks out ok, it should be fine to print.

I have added features to existing models with Blender and have not had any problems - YMMV

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

as long as everything is properly joined into one object, it should be ok. My suggestion is to export the model as stl and then import into netfabb (either online or basic version downloaded to your computer) to check for errors. If the model checks out ok, it should be fine to print.

I have added features to existing models with Blender and have not had any problems - YMMV

Cool ill try check it in netfabb. thanks!

thanks for this valuable information.

3d printing service gujarat india pune mumbai

thanks
visit:http://vexmatech.com

IMHO you should strive to avoid extra internal geometry . I admit have yet to dive into blender. I have watched sever hours of video . and blender will tell you of extra internal geometry but iirc needs to be manually repaired.

Heartless is experienced so her is advice  trustworthy
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura