Topic: Reusing "wet" filament

Hi to all! To reuse "bad" filament in my experimental phase with the extruder I designed and tested a shredder today. When recycling some first meters I saw that humidity is my big problem because little small holes are spread over the entire diameter. So now, even if I dry them now properly, I am afraid when using them in the extruder I will load air together with the pellets. So is it advisable to not reuse filament that went wrong because of humidity?http://soliforum.com/i/?sk6JWDj.jpg

Re: Reusing "wet" filament

As I understand it, the holes are caused by moisture in the filament flashing to steam as it is extruded. Assuming that you haven't reintroduced moisture into the filament by having it sitting around in a humid environment for a while since initially extruded, there shouldn't be any issues with chopping it up and sending it through the extruder again. The air voids shouldn't cause any problems since plenty of air is introduced into the extruder just by the space between pellets. I will however be the first to admit that I am not an expert and haven't actually done this.

DaVinci 1.0 w/ repetier firmware, Andy's Carriage, E3D V6, Filastruder #1956, Filawinder

Re: Reusing "wet" filament

Right... I give it a "dry" and see what a cut looks then and post it..