1 (edited by IronMan 2016-02-12 20:07:15)

Topic: New Forum Topic?

Looks like we'll need one for this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/colu … /80236104/

And, yes, I had an original thingmaker when I was a kid big_smile

EDIT: And I can't believe they are endorsing unattended printing(end of article)!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Re: New Forum Topic?

I can't believe that ending either hmm
It seems most companies known for something other than printers (Dremel,Mattel, etc) are sticking with PLA only machines. But unlike the Dremel, this allows the user to use non-proprietary filament for $700 in savings.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

3 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-13 05:39:34)

IronMan wrote:

Looks like we'll need one for this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/colu … /80236104/

And, yes, I had an original thingmaker when I was a kid big_smile

EDIT: And I can't believe they are endorsing unattended printing(end of article)!

heck I still use both old Mattel Thingmakers and the newer 1990s Toymax Thinkmakers and other reborn 60s maker toys all have been discontinued long ago due to either safety or material availability issues. Toymax did incorporate safety lockouts so high temps keep door access locked til cooled and lower wattage heaters that can be placed in plastic housings and not set home on fire like in the 60s LOL. maybe Mattel followed their lead. Toymax was bought out by another company that did not continue their maker toys lines. still shocked Mattel is going back to something that cost them so much litigation that they never even made supplies like Goop for die-hard kids. others have resurrected the recipe thankfully. and Toymax also remade Mattels strange machine and plastic injector molding machine (which I also have samples of in my own Maker lab in basement hehe. makers can never just use 1 method to make all our stuff, we always need new tools with different ways to get what we need done no matter if old outdated discontinued or new. just have to figure out how materials used are made and stock up like me.

also Mattel never says anything about selling rights to Thingmaker to Toymax in the 1990s. they are not bringing it back for 1st time since early 70s as they talk like. collectors have begged them for near 50 years to bring them back and they always said 'no way'. their last toy in that line was 'Gobbledy gook' edible goop type thingmaker and collectors dont want that plus it had stamped aluminum molds like easybake oven tins instead of diecast like even Toymax Thingmakers used with light bulbs for heating.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

speeking of new tools. I just bought a great one for trimming support material from prints. its made by Xuron makers of model railroad track shears and other such tools. costly compared to other similar tools but much more worth every penny in design and quality. I compared all Sprue cutters from $5 to $23 and the $23 Xuron #2175 was thinnest profile for getting in tight spots and their shear like cutting does excellent job with no mashing/bowing of plastic being cut. I cleaned up over 100 prints in a couple evenings with no ill effects to models or my hands/fingers. best investment so far in 3D printing tools. may find them low as $17 if searched I support my local hobby shop though since its the last of a couple dozen that used to be around.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

speeking of new tools. I just bought a great one for trimming support material from prints. its made by Xuron makers of model railroad track shears and other such tools. costly compared to other similar tools but much more worth every penny in design and quality. I compared all Sprue cutters from $5 to $23 and the $23 Xuron #2175 was thinnest profile for getting in tight spots and their shear like cutting does excellent job with no mashing/bowing of plastic being cut. I cleaned up over 100 prints in a couple evenings with no ill effects to models or my hands/fingers. best investment so far in 3D printing tools. may find them low as $17 if searched I support my local hobby shop though since its the last of a couple dozen that used to be around.

I print with PETG and use it for support as well and the supports barely make contact, leave no marks and break off with very little effort.. Only thing I use is tweezers to get into some tight spots..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

most people dont though