Topic: Alternative firmware for DaVinci 1.0 PRO

I'm interested in replacing the stock firmware on a DaVinci 1.0 Pro with something that is less restrictive and compatible with the rest of the world.
That and the fact I've had it up to HERE, with the lack of professional support from the company here in the USA.

Has anyone played with the idea and found it to be successful?

Re: Alternative firmware for DaVinci 1.0 PRO

artanangus wrote:

I'm interested in replacing the stock firmware on a DaVinci 1.0 Pro with something that is less restrictive and compatible with the rest of the world.
That and the fact I've had it up to HERE, with the lack of professional support from the company here in the USA.

Has anyone played with the idea and found it to be successful?

At this time there is no alternative. The only one that would have a chance is Repetier but here just are not enough owners of your machine to make the porting worth while.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

is it the firmware, or is it being locked in to using the xyz slicer that is the problem?

A new version of xyzware for pro is out and it has the following new features:

Version: 1.1.4.1
New features and improvements:
 XYZware for Pro supports importing G-code format files created by Cura & Slic3r.
 Improved the quality of thin thickness objects print.
 Shortened the time of 3w format files creating.

I tried importing from Simplify3D and the program dies.  It imports from Slic3r fine.  A bit of a bump with Simplify3D but a big step in the right direction!

I shouldn't think it'll be too long before S3D supports the Pro in full.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

I'm just frustrated with the printer, Proprietary software/firmware and the vendor support in general.
I'm 4 months into the 3D printing scene and it could very well be my inexperience with setting up slicers.
and S3D is a viable option if I can just get past 1 little hurdle. GCoded files don't print at the temperature I set them to in the external slicers.

I'm using the newest XYZware version 1.1.4.1 and I can load GCode files and send them to the printer.
My problem is when I use GCode files, the temps are not what I set in Slic3r or Cura.
No problems loading a STL file in XYZware and printing it with their slicer. Even editing a GCode file with the proper header for the 1.0 Pro and encoding it to Base64, saving as a .3W file and then sending it through XYZware to the printer uses the correct temps I set in the slicer.
Others on Thingiverse say they are able to print with the new version w/o problems although initially they did have temp issues.

I use Notepad++ and check to see if maybe the temps are set different but they are what I wanted.
I set the user filament settings on the printer to the temps I want and but the GCode imported object, the extruder temp is about 10 degrees hotter and the print bed hits 90c even when i've set it for 45c. I've even tried to turn the print bed heater off, and taken the temperature codes completely out of the GCode file, and that worked as expected, Cold extruder, cold build plate.

Vendor support says they don't support GCode or 3rd party applications or filaments.
If that's the case then why did they put the GCode option in the latest version and document the changes as being able to specifically load files from CURA and Slic3r???

Then proceed to tell me...
"Please try to run your file through this repair service to see if it helps:
https://netfabb.azurewebsites.net/ "

Which is a 3rd party app on a different vendors website.

I just want to be able to print with different slicing options, so I can have a round object with out the line going up the side because the slicer starts the next layer at the same place every time, or be able to use different top and bottom fills. because I think a cube, looks better with a concentric fill instead of usual striped fill.

7 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-02-10 00:00:51)

The bed should actually be 60 to 90.. $5 is too cool and will cause lifting on corners..  Have you actually let it print and the temps are still the same even when the print starts?

I ask becuase your software probably has default temps that the printer wil start at if they are not set the same as the gcode.. However once the actual print starts the gcode will override the defaults and the temps should go up and down to the expected values. However as said 45 is too cool for a bed.

If possible post the header and first few lines of your gcode..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

For PLA the cooler bed temperatures 45c - 50c, I'm finding I get better layer results and with blue tape and the purple washable school glue, I get good adhesion.

Filament type: Hatchbox PLA blue
Bed temp: 45c
Nozzle temp: 195c
Layer height: .3
Shells: 3
Top/Bottom surface 3
Infill density: 25%
Infill type: Honey Comb
Brim width: 10mm
Object: Enderman_Head.stl
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:143991

GCode from Slic3r

; generated by Slic3r 1.2.9 on 2016-02-09 at 21:53:29

; external perimeters extrusion width = 0.50mm
; perimeters extrusion width = 0.72mm
; infill extrusion width = 0.72mm
; solid infill extrusion width = 0.72mm
; top infill extrusion width = 0.72mm

M107 ; disable fan
M190 S45 ; set bed temperature
M104 S195 ; set temperature
G28 ; home all axes
G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle

M109 S195 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
G1 Z0.350 F6000.000 ; move to next layer (0)
G1 E-2.00000 F2400.00000 ; retract
G92 E0 ; reset extrusion distance
G1 X84.780 Y84.204 F6000.000 ; move to first skirt point
G1 E2.00000 F2400.00000 ; unretract

@ 25%, 50%, 80% complete the temps were Extruder 199c Platform 88c

Maybe i'm just over reacting? In the past when I've used Slic3r and edited the file with the XYZ header and encoded in base64 and saved the file as a .3w the print temps stayed at the temps I selected for PLA. I'll have to revert back to the older version of XYZware and test.

In Slic3r I have the all the print speeds down to 15mm/s with the exceptions of Small perimeters=5mm/s, Bridges=10mm/s, MAX print speed is 80mm/s, Travel 100mm/s.
the speeds probably should go lower sometimes the X/Y axis grinds and ruins the whole job.

I know, it is old topic, but it seems, that it is using temperatures for custom material or from cartridge chip or something like this. 88 seems to be setting for original ABS cartridge. 199c could be OK, cause it is around 195c
You can swith directly on printer display, to see current temperatures during print.
.3W files include some header informations, like filament used, expected time, material id ...... etc.
They are commented, but printer is using them (at least some of them).
Also there is missing M140 command for setting platform (BED) temperature. It is not problem for Marlin printers, but it could be problem for Da Vinci Pro. I think, they are setting some defaults if there is no info for temp/filament.

I also think, they are not heating both hotend + bed at same time in starting sequence, cause of maximum power limits.

Best way is to export any .gcode file or .3w file out of XYZWARE Pro (or hacked XYZWARE) and then use these headers (with small modifications) for external slicer. It could produce identical start and end gcode sequences.
Internally XYZWARE is using some kind of slic3r engine, but they are not using all possible options it has in XYZWARE UI. You could find commnadline paramaters, they are sending to slic3r, which is library included in XYZWARE software.