Topic: Solidoodle 2 upgrades

I purchased one of the first run Solidoodle 2's with the wooden build platform.  I was wondering if it is possible to upgrade to purchase the metal upgrade that was released about a year later.  I just pulled it out of mothballs to see how things have evolved over the last 4-5 years or however long it has been.

Sorry if this has been asked, I am having it incredibly hard to find information,   Solidoodle's page has mostly orphaned the pages that deal with it and google only seems to give me new solidoodle stuff.

Also, were the replacement part models ever released (that or upgraded parts)?  I should probably print a set before it disappears off the internet for good.

Also, is there any way to get the solidoodle 2 to work with the soliprint software that was recently released?  I tried it and the software will not recognize the printer.

Thanks

Re: Solidoodle 2 upgrades

This is being actively answered right now big_smile

http://www.soliforum.com/post/115623/#p115623

SD2 Sanguinololu 1.3a atmega1284p, wood platform, lawsy's carriages, braided fishing line, pallet wood overhead spool mount, carboard/magnet enclosure, glass bed, E3D v6, bed levelling knobs, extended z-stop, 25A DC-DC SSR for bed heater, everything fixed to the SD2 frame, marlin firmware with some adjustments and extra failsafes enabled.  I'll never give up on you, little printer that could(n't)!

3 (edited by driggers 2016-02-02 21:08:00)

I'll just quickly mention some things that will give some useful search terms.

Print and install:
lawsy's mk5 extruder
lawsy's replacement carriages
bed-level adjust screw knobs (must-have!)

don't worry about the wood platform.

other stuff you can do:
replace belts with braided fishing line
upgrade the PSU
upgrade the firmware (might need to burn a bootloader or get another chip with one preinstalled)
get a new extruder, e3d, j-head, or similar.  Don't let people brand-shame you, but be aware that e3d is probably the best thing.
upgrade heated bed
print beefed up Y-axis pulley holders
install a direct drive Y-axis motor
glass bed
make an enclosure out of cardboard and neodynium magnets (or something)
make a filament spool holder that doesn't suck...

look for solidoodle related things on thingiverse.

Edit:
Z-rod changes, such as m3 rod, or backlash nut.
firmware upgrade
setup repetier
(auto)tune PID for hot-end

SD2 Sanguinololu 1.3a atmega1284p, wood platform, lawsy's carriages, braided fishing line, pallet wood overhead spool mount, carboard/magnet enclosure, glass bed, E3D v6, bed levelling knobs, extended z-stop, 25A DC-DC SSR for bed heater, everything fixed to the SD2 frame, marlin firmware with some adjustments and extra failsafes enabled.  I'll never give up on you, little printer that could(n't)!

Thanks for reply, I totally missed that other thread. 

Glass platform: been using since day one since the kapton they gave me wouldn't even stick with ABS slurry (!!!.. yes i washed in acetone)

Firmware is maxed (and abandoned) sad.  i have the pre-solidoodle motherboard.

I also paid for the metal enclosure.  Sometimes i wonder if it is worth it. i might try the magnet/cardbboard solution.

The only REAL problem i have with my S2 is the build platform takes longer to warm up than it does to print most of the times.  Will the new silicon heater people are talk about help with this?  If so is this the upgraded heated build platform i need? (assuming they will sell it to me which seems to be an issue in other thread)

http://www.solidoodle.com/index.php?rou … duct_id=91

> Make a filament spool holder that doesn't suck... 

Yeaaaahh . been printing "upgrades".  I have the 90 deg angle one , but i still have frequent filament explosions. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply.

I actually just screwed a piece of an old pallet to the back of my printer and the spool sits above it now.  Best thing ever, plus smaller footprint on the table.

An upgrade bed heater will definitely heat up faster!  Need to upgrade PSU and use a DC-DC relay (or if you adventurous, get a heater that plugs to the mains and use DC-AC relay.

not sure what you mean by maxed and abandoned firmware.  Having the pre-SD motherboard (i.e., sanguinololu) is a good thing if you want to upgrade!  much easier than printrboard

driggers wrote:

Having the pre-SD motherboard (i.e., sanguinololu) is a good thing if you want to upgrade!  much easier than printrboard

+1
The Sang is worth its weight in gold for a stock board in relation to the Printrboard

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

then theres the Rumba board upgrade and part cooling fans with gcode control etc.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Now that I have a little more time to delve into this...
n2ri mentioned the RUMBA, my favorite board. Easy to flash, very robust, and capable of handling most upgrades like dual extrusion, gcode controlled fans, and removable stepper drivers so upgrading for finer resolution is a breeze. So here's my experience:
My #1 SD2 came with a Printrboard. Then wardjr was kind enough to fork over his old Sang which soon led me to install a RUMBA. Here's how my bed heat up times changed
Printrboard w/stock PSU: 45 min +/-
Sang w/Supernight PSU: 30 min +/-
RUMBA w/Supernight PSU: 6 min exactly.
The Sang can handle more than just 12v. I want to say I run both the RUMBA and Sang around 13.4v and it can significantly improve heat up times. Try a new PSU like the Supernight and you will notice at least some improvement...then that way, you aren't making a ton of mods out the gate when you might not have to.

RE: Aluminum bed
Do not purchase from Solidoodle at this time. They are currently having issues and many users are complaining they have received nothing after 5 months. As a disclaimer, I own several SD printers and I like their products, but its a shame they are having financial issues. As an alternative, you can try posting in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum to see if anybody has an aluminum bed to part with.

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

thanks again for the feedback.

I think i might try to tackle a bed upgrade first... or look into a RUMBA.  i think i would prefer getting a new board than slinging solder so i have a way back worst case scenario(last major soldiering i did was a HEATHkit .. that dates me.  And yes the clock still works... running on about 30yrs now. smile )

AZERATE:  Are your new times with the new mobo and power supply with stock bed heater?  if so the RUMBA upgrade sounds rather attractive to me.

i found this post:
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/1819/hea … isonsstls/

unfortunately all the images are dead. but i think i get the gist of it.  i especially like the integrated bed clips.

print this:  http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:64607  (i especially like the integrated bed clips.)

etch this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:65033   (i like the pcb since any broken wires can be resoldered easily vs the qu-bd as mentioned in the post)

drill a few non-compromising holes, adjust the Z home screw, assemble, done.  there are some sang board mods i cant see, but like i said I'm not 100% comfortable burning my bridges (possibly literally).

i do have a couple of questions:

if i decide to go with upgraded PSU first,   I assume the current connections for the bed heat will feed into the switching polls of the relay, and then I would pull a direct lead from the power supply that runs through the power polls into the bed?

Also, does anyone have a preferred supplier for this stuff (US shipping address if that matters)

Thanks again

PS.  the solidoodle merchant software is screwy.  it WILL tell you that things are not available, but not until you try to check out.  this does include most/all of the solidoodle 2 parts.

you can upgrade psu with no other mods.  dont plug your 12v dc heater into the mains power (maybe i misunderstood).

12 (edited by AZERATE 2016-02-03 14:29:16)

driggers is correct. You can take one step at a time to find your happy place unless you are wanting to mod for the sake of modding....no harm in that smile
If you stick with your Sang, everything boardside would still be wired the same. The Supernight, however, would need about 5 minutes to properly wire. Before wiring to the board, adjust the trimpot found on the PSU and observe voltage so you don't risk damage to the Sang.
I will try to dig up a picture of what I mean by "wiring the PSU".

EDIT: Like this
http://i.imgur.com/c2cN81u.jpg
Credit to wardjr for the pic

13 (edited by maaltan 2016-02-03 16:12:41)

is this the supernight PSU we are talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/SUPERNIGHT-Regula … supernight

also attached is a diagram of what i was trying to say.

S1 is the original heater power lines

RY1 is a relay rated to handle the current

U1 is the bed

+12v is the powersupply that is also connected to the printer's electronics.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ZLANmOE.png

Post's attachments

bedrelay.png
bedrelay.png 6.99 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You actually would want this guy

I have no experience with the relay, so you may want to wait for an SSR veteran to chime in

Any suggestions for a $13 filler for free shipping? smile

i looked at the PCB bed heaters and they would work, but they are all too large.  Can you suggest better search terms than "PCB heater" or "3d bed heater"

Diagram looks correct.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I have seen no PCB bed heaters with the correct 3 holes for bed leveling screws either. only a couple custom silicone ones over the last couple years plus lots of peoples stories of built-in thermisters going bad mostly PCB for some reason

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

18 (edited by maaltan 2016-02-03 21:20:16)

i ordered one of those PSUs.

One thing That never seems to get discussed is:  What gauge wire should i use between the PSU and printer?  the math/ american regulations tells me i need 11AWG wire for 12 amps at 3 ft (which is what most of the heated upgrades seem to draw.  1ohm at 12vdc).

since this PSU is 30 amp,   that brings me into power line territory if i max out its capabilities.

Surely people are not running 000 wire to their printers?

I think you need to take another look at your calculations.  16 guage is more than adequate for what you're dealing with.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

http://i.imgur.com/LCvTnjS.jpg

So even at a full 30 amp draw, 18 guage wire will safely handle your requirements.

+1 what Ward says. where did you find that cool chart ward? could have used that in my HVAC classes I instructed.

yeah never heard of 11 gauge or any odd number size wire either for electricity

odd gauges exists, but rare in electronics (not something you get from home depot.  I used it for making chain mail at one point. found a deal for a surplus half-mile spool of aluminum at a farm supply)

Thanks for the chart.  I see where i went wrong.  I was using a webpage for calculating "power transmission".  it defaulted to KM of wire.  Probably hit an internal rounding error or something when i put 1m. 

but yeah .. 18AWG is a lot more reasonable.  Might even risk 20-22 depending on bulk and prices.  Ill try my math thing again later on the voltage drop for smaller wires. smile

Not exactly something you want to risk for such a small amount of wire.  I would use 16 gauge for the extra current carrying capacity.  I would also add that 3 feet seems like a lot, there's no real benefit of remote mounting a PSU.
You are running heating elements and delicate electronics on the same circuit.  If you want strange printing issues and problems, limit/restrict available current.
If you want your machine to run smoothly and not risk burning your supply wires, go with 16 or -18 gauge wire.
I'm not guessing about any of this, the math/science is pretty much engraved in granite.
Ohms Law is your friend
Happy Printing

25 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-04 18:12:33)

also do not use aluminum wire as it has less current carrying capacity and tends to expand/contract lots when warm/cool making connections work loose quickly and have been known to arch and cause fires often, plus it tends to crack and have much shorter life than copper. also most NFPA rules limit temporary cord lenth to 6 feet or less and depending on where used 3ft like in basements or near water pipe, outdoors ground-fault outlet have other restrictions for safety. when I was facility manager at a large health care center and safety officer for same doing electric appliance inspections for UL rules in offices etc. I had to remove any plugged in device that violated said rules and employees could not bring such devices to work due to fire/safety hazards, saw same issues when attending exhibitor shows also by their fire marshal inspections during show setup.