Topic: PLA comparable to Hatchbox

I've been using Hatchbox filament for almost a year now, and the stuff works great. However, it's constantly unavailable on Amazon, guessing because it's one of the most affordable on the site, especially when I run out in the middle/end of an order and desperately need more.

I need to branch out and find a new brand, what do you use that's comparable and affordable? I check out the sticked thread and Microcenter has some great prices, have you found their filament to meet your expectations?

TYIA!

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Re: PLA comparable to Hatchbox

I haven't tried their PLA, but their ABS is of surprising quality for the price. If I don't have time to make filament, I just run up to Micro Center for a spool or two of the Inland ABS. I believe their display printers are using Inland and the only print PLA in the store, and the quality looks just fine

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Exactly what he said. I buy the Hatchbox when I order from Amazon. If I need it right away or cheap, I go to Microcenter and get the Inland. Never had a problem with either one PLA or ABS. (Inland is usually around $15.99/kg and Hatchbox is about $22/kg)

AZERATE wrote:

I haven't tried their PLA, but their ABS is of surprising quality for the price. If I don't have time to make filament, I just run up to Micro Center for a spool or two of the Inland ABS. I believe their display printers are using Inland and the only print PLA in the store, and the quality looks just fine

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Thanks! Will try Microcenter!

I printed with Hatchbox PLA almost exclusively, aside from exotics, and it really prints wonderful. Finished the pipboy from Fallout 4 for a customer about a month ago and it looks phenomenal, he loved it! I'm worried that the prices for the spools are starting to change and I have a feeling when they are available again it'll be upwards of $26.95/kg like there blue currently is(http://www.amazon.com/HATCHBOX-1-75mm-3D-Printer-Filament/dp/B00J0GPC80).

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

If you're located in America then this won't be much help but we sell a full range of high quality filaments. Please check our website out at www.3dexfilament.co.uk

3Dex - Suppliers of the best filament.
http://www.3dexfilament.co.uk

6 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-01-28 22:00:32)

If you are near a Microcenter I have had very good luck with their house brand called inland. Their PLA is usually about $16 for a 1Kg roll. They also carry PET+ and PETG I love the way PET+ prints and finishes but it is a bit pricey.

I would advise you to stay away from Fry's house brand which is Shaxon. At least their bright colors are garbage. I have two full rolls of pink and green I can't even use. They want take it back if the bag seal is broken..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.