Re: My SD2 Jigsaw Extruder

JRMN is correct. The MK5 can be used for the stock PEEK hotend and E3D v5. If the hotend is a v6 or Lite6, however, you will need the MK6. Also found on Thingiverse and sold by Filastruder.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Hi, I'm in London UK, so I plan to order from http://www.e3d-online.com/Lite6, I have another printer so I can print out the mount, I just wanted to know if anyone had a favourite design on thingiverse, this is the one I'm looking at right now;
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431363

my SD2 had to run at 195c due to thermister reading low as its in dif place than an E3D hotend. max for mine is 199c and it overshoots to near 210c lots but wont trip limit. reset when you upgrade hotend.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

helliwell wrote:

Hi, I'm in London UK, so I plan to order from http://www.e3d-online.com/Lite6, I have another printer so I can print out the mount, I just wanted to know if anyone had a favourite design on thingiverse, this is the one I'm looking at right now;
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431363

That's what I use for the v6 and the Lite6. Just make sure you make it out of ABS...PLA will melt.
The lengths of the bolts that anchor into the motor will be longer with this design, though. I forget if they are M3x25mm or M3x30mm, but somewhere in that ballpark

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

You may also want to search thingverse for a new endstop screw mount for your Z axis that lets the screw sit lower or get a longer screw. In any case this is probably something you will have to deal with for this upgrade as the new hot end will sit lower.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:135575

justsomeguy wrote:

You may also want to search thingverse for a new endstop screw mount for your Z axis that lets the screw sit lower or get a longer screw. In any case this is probably something you will have to deal with for this upgrade as the new hot end will sit lower.

also for glass bed

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

thanks for the tip about the printed part to lower the z endstop.

My extruder and hotend was delivered Friday.  I have the worst of luck, they forgot the part (clamp) of extruder that holds the hotend in place.  The extruder also looks different than what's on Thingiverse.com.

http://soliforum.com/i/?r0SPNld.jpg

As mentioned in the reply to your email, there are several variants of the Lawsy mount, some with and some without a locking arm. It is noted on the site in the product description that the locking arm may or may not be present. As you can see, there is no place to mount a locking arm in the mount, it was not designed to use one.

Yup, i got your email.  You're right on both points.  i totally missed the language about it may or may not have the locking arm.  If it works it works.  I can alway print another design if I think t's needed.  Thanks.

it was just to take up slack on a version of extruder. most dont need it some only needed like a piece of tape thickness and some needed more room filed.

n2ri wrote:

it was just to take up slack on a version of extruder. most dont need it some only needed like a piece of tape thickness and some needed more room filed.

one wrap of electrical tape around the inner groove of the heatsink will secure any E3D in the Mk5.

Just to specify for future users...
MK5- Drop in replacement for stock PEEK hotends and E3D v5. This features a locking arm.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:111213
MK6- Primarily designed for the E3D v6 and Lite6. This does not have a locking arm.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:393928

Thanks Azerate.

Hey guys I need some help.  I got the lite6 wired up and firmware configured, but when I connect in Repetier Host I am getting a really high temperature (479C) for the extruder.  I've hooked up a multimeter to the thermistor and it appears to be wired correctly.

The lite6 assembly guide said to reconfigure the firmware for the Semitec 104GT2 thermistor in configuration.h.  So I changed TEMP_SENSOR_0 to 5.  If I change it back to 1 I get normal low temperature (18.3C) reading int Repetier Host. 

I don't want to assume that's the issue and ruin the extruder.  What am I missing something?

42 (edited by AZERATE 2016-02-15 03:40:48)

The thermistor either has a short or it's dead....the latter is common as the legs are very delicate.
Pull the thermistor out and inspect the connections near the bead. At this time, you can also be certain the legs aren't exposed causing a short.
Temp Sensor 5 is correct and should only be set as such

Is it possible my lite6 shipped with the wrong thermistor? I just tested a 100k Ohm NTC 3950 thermistor off eBay and I'm getting the exact same results.

No, that is not possible as the only thermistors in the building are the Semitec thermistors that E3D uses.

What firmware are you using?

If you disconnect the thermistor cable from the controller board, what resistance do you see between the two terminals of the thermistor cable connector with the hotend at room temperature?

Thermistor tables 1 and 5 are nearly identical in the room temperature range. If you're seeing a jump like that with the same thermistor solely from changing the thermistor table, I would surmise that something is wrong with your thermistor table.

Ok guys.  I figured out my issue.  I was using an older marlin firmware. I initially installed this this one, when I should have been using this one.  Thanks for the tip elmoret.

Um, could you explain why you think you had the wrong version of firmware?  My experience leads me to believe the exact opposite to be true.  Furthermore both versions pull from the same thermistor tables.  There are also some well documented bugs with Lawsy's version.  Nothing that isn't easily corrected though.  I just want to know for the benefit of the community what may have changed.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

47 (edited by JRMN 2016-02-15 21:47:46)

I couldn't tell you why one worked and the other one didn't, other than which one worked for me.

Here is my experience:
When I was looking for the firmware, I came across two different instructions, this one and this one.  I went with the latter since it had a later update date.

I downloaded and installed the firmware linked from the second webpage above.  I should have known something was wrong because when I was poking around in the configuration.h I noticed it was already setup for a SD3.  Both websites/instructions said the default setting should have been for a SD2.  Everything went fine until I connected the printer in Repeater Host.  No matter what I did, the temperature for the hotend was high.  I knew something was right when I disconnected the lite6 thermistor completely from the controller board and Repeater Host was still reporting the high temperature. 

At that point, I remembered the other website.  So I went back to that website and downloaded the firmware that was listed and made the change to TEMP_SENSOR_0 and uploaded it to the controller board.  I crossed my fingers and connected to the print with Repeater Host.  BINGO, success!!! I finally got a low temperature reading with the Semitec 104GT2 thermistor connected.  I should also point out the first firmware said beta whereas the second one I used didn't.  Let me know if you need more information.

the only dif between SD2 and SD3 is build plate size and associated settings. extruder/bed heaters, thermisters, limits etc are same. so say if you had an SD2 running on SD3 firmware it would try going way off bedd when extruder moved or went home.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my last post.  My thinking was this; that if that setting had been changed that maybe something else could have been changed as well.

build area can be set in RH printer config also and needs reset any time software is changed as it comes with a default setting for a popular printer made at time software was. lots of topics on this though.