Topic: My SD2 Jigsaw Extruder

I picked up a used Solidoodle 2 Expert with the original acrylic jigsaw extruder off Craigslist last summber. It's been sitting unused in basement until a few weeks ago. The 3D printer seems to be in excellent shape (or so I thought) and I haven been able to print a few things. A week ago when I was in the middle of a print when the filament clogged. While I was taking the extruder apart the acrylic cracked/broke. Maybe it was already cracked/broke, who knows. Anyway I was able to superglue it back together and I got it printing again. I know I can print my own replacement extruder.

Before I take the extruder apart again I just wanted to know:

1. What thing on Thingiverse.com is the right extruder for a Solidoodle 2 Expert?
2. What's the difference between the MK1, MK2, MK3, MK4, MK5 extruders?
3. Are all the extruders parts interchangeable?
4. Is it ok to use PLA for a extruder?

Thanks

Re: My SD2 Jigsaw Extruder

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:111213 Here is the extruder you want. So yes, the MK5.
Most of the basic part are interchangeable.
PLA will be just fine. However, you do not want to print the parts in PLA. Stick to ABS for the extruder due to the possibility of heat warping extruder parts if printed in PLA

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

3 (edited by JRMN 2016-01-27 01:45:50)

Cool thanks.  I have a spool of ABS, but I'm not able to print with ABS. When I try to heat my hot end above 210 degrees i get errors and have to restart it.  Any suggestion?

Are you getting any errors?
I had the same problem before upgrading to E3D...stuck with PLA. It may be as simple as ttacing the wires and finding a short, unplug/replug with the board off, thermistor is not seated properly, or even some fouled plugs. But let's take it one step at a time smile

If you need the extruder printed, feel free to reach out for help. Many of us have been known to help each other out in that department

Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on

Yes.  This is the error I get.

22:28:42.874 : Error:0
22:28:42.874 : : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
22:28:42.874 : Error:Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

Start with tracing the thermistor wires back to the board as I mentioned earlier. The thermistor may have become damaged during your cleaning, which is not uncommon. If this is the case, you want to inspect the thermistor which is taped onto the nozzle. You could have a partial break in one of the wires leading up to the glass bead

JRMN wrote:

Yes.  This is the error I get.

22:28:42.874 : Error:0
22:28:42.874 : : Extruder switched off. MAXTEMP triggered !
22:28:42.874 : Error:Printer stopped deu to errors. Fix the error and use M999 to restart!. (Temperature is reset. Set it before restarting)

It's been awhile since I actually ran my SD2, but with the stock hot end, extruding ABS at 200-205 was no issue, so try that.  This is what the thermistor reads and due to its proximity to the nozzle, the actual temp is about 25-30 degrees higher...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I don't remember what temperature I had my extruder set to, but it wasn't getting hot enough to melt the ABS.  I actually though something was wrong with the machine.  I did finally figure out that it wasn't getting hot enough and as soon as I switched to PLA it started extruding.

I print ABS at 205.  I think the MAXTEMP cutoff is 215, which you could hit in the temperature variation of the extruder if your PIDs are not working well.  You can see the temperature graph in Repetier and check.

If that is the case, I would suggest setting to 205, heating the bed to 80 or whatever you use it at, then heating the nozzle to 205, then doing the PID autotune procedure, following instructions at http://www.soliwiki.com/PID_tuning.  That will at least ensure that you are not just hitting the MAXTEMP from the variation.

Now, heat up to 205 and try manually extruding some ABS to see if it comes out in a nice straight stream.   If not, troubleshoot.

- could be you ground the filament down at the extruder gear and it's no longer biting.
- could be your extruder thermistor is exposed to the air and as a result the extruder got very hot and burnt abs causing a clog (not sure if this is consistent with your above report).  Make sure there is tight seal with Kapton tape over thermistor as well as the smaller insulator sleeve over it.
- could be a clog for another reason.
- could be that the thermistor is just giving bad readings (too high) and your printer cannot heat up.  You can use an infra red thermometer to get a rough idea of what's going on but don't expect that to be accurate.

If you are really in a jam, ask a forum member to print you the MK5 and order another extruder, such as an E3D v6.  You'll eventually want that anyway if you are going to stick it out with the SD2 (that said, I've run my SD2 with my second stock extruder since 2013).

SD2 Sanguinololu 1.3a atmega1284p, wood platform, lawsy's carriages, braided fishing line, pallet wood overhead spool mount, carboard/magnet enclosure, glass bed, E3D v6, bed levelling knobs, extended z-stop, 25A DC-DC SSR for bed heater, everything fixed to the SD2 frame, marlin firmware with some adjustments and extra failsafes enabled.  I'll never give up on you, little printer that could(n't)!

Thanks.  I ran the PID autotune procedures last night and everything went well.  I didn't get any errors and I was able to update the Kp, Ki, and Kd values.  I am still unable to print with ABS though.  I also checked the resistance of my thermistor and got 126.6K Ω.  Based on the thermistor testing proceeds it should be in the 80K-85K Ω range.  I going to replace the thermistor.  I am also going to go ahead and buy a E3D extruder while I am at it.  Anything I should know before I buy?  Like jigsaw compatibility and or maybe staying away from the cheap knockoffs on eBay.

Stay away from cheap knock-offs, many users here will swear by their official e3d hotends, myself included. An e3d lite6 is very affordable and will get you printing again in no time!

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Cool.  I didn't know anything about the E3D lite6.

If you're in Europe you can order directly from them, the website has a ton of info you can go over also. http://e3d-online.com/Lite6
If you're in the US a lot of us like to use http://www.filastruder.com/products/lite6

Several of us are currently using the lite6, so feel free to ask any questions!

Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Great.  What's the Bowden add-on and does the red fan duct come with the Lite6 or is that something I have to buy separate?

The duct comes with it, yes.
A Bowden setup is when your extruder is placed in a location other than where the hotend is mounted...think of a delta printer. Solidoodle, Makerbot, XYZ, etc. use direct rather than Bowden

Thanks. So I need the direct version.

My hot end nozzle is clogged again.  I'm pretty sure it's the ABS that clogged it.  Can someone please print me a extruder in ABS?

Where are you located?

Maryland.

Thanks for this, really useful, the hot end on the Solidoodle site is not for sale any more, so looks like I'm getting the Lite6. A couple of questions for people already using the Lite6;

What's the voltage for a Solidoodle 2, 12v or 24v ?

Is the Lite6 head a lot lower than the original, any problems fitting it?

Thanks for any help
Richard

I believe the original SD hot end is 12v.  At least that's what the voltage on my power supply reads.  I suspect a lot of people have upgraded their power supply to 24v for the E3D V6 because it draws more power.  I don't believe it's necessary for the lite6 though.  In fact I plan or ordering the 12v version.  You should be fine even if the lite6 is lower because you can adjust z-axis home bolts on the back of the case.  if it is lower, all you would have to do is buy a longer bolt.

Confirming the SD2 is 12V...considering you have made no other mods (like to the heat bed) you should be a plug and play.

You will need a new mount:
http://www.filastruder.com/collections/ … solidoodle

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Thanks for the confirmation.  I saw that filastruder.com sold extruders for the SD.  I'm going to order from them.

Hi, thanks for the info, really helpful, I'm going to buy the Lite6 and print a new mount, is there a consensus on the best design on thingiverse ?

I'm not sure where you are located, but I ordered the lite6 and extruder from filastruder.com.  If you order from them make sure you get the E3DV6 version.  Which looks to be the same version as the one AZERATE posted in in the first reply to this thread.