Topic: question about design

I was wondering is there any tutorial in sizing a mask in solidworks?  I have some stl file mask and am going to design some.  I want to be able to scale it to fit and printed on my 3d printer.  I have a davinci xyz printer.

thanks

2 (edited by pirvan 2016-01-04 22:54:18)

Re: question about design

If all you have is an STL file, that may be a bit of a problem.

First of all, Solidworks has a limit as to the size of the STL, namely the number of triangles, is about 20K.  depending n the amount of detail of you STL, that may exceed Solidwork's ability to import the STL as a solid.

You would have 2 options here.

1.  import the STL into something like MeshLab, then reduce the number of faces by running a simplification filter.
2.  Open the model in SolidWorks as a Surface body instead of a solid.

In either case, making modifications to the model may prove to be very hard if not impossible.  If all you want to do is scale the object, that's simple enough, but if you want to modify it's geometry...well, good luck

Anyway to scale it, got to Insert/Features/Scale.  The select Centroid and the scale.  If it's to be scaled uniformly, then enter a value.  For example to make the model twice as large, enter 2.   If you want to stretch the model non-uniformly, then uncheck that box, and you'll be prompted to select different values for X, Y and Z.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

thanks for the information

If all you need to do is scale, you can scale and rotate parts in repetier-host after you import them.

Solidworks is not a very good tool for editing meshes (in fact, it just doesn't). For basic mostly aesthetic things, a combination of MeshLab and MeshMixer may help you make changes to the mesh directly without creating a huge amount more work.

Note that Pirvan is something of an expert on cleaning up scans for printing...

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

grob wrote:

If all you need to do is scale, you can scale and rotate parts in repetier-host after you import them.

Solidworks is not a very good tool for editing meshes (in fact, it just doesn't). For basic mostly aesthetic things, a combination of MeshLab and MeshMixer may help you make changes to the mesh directly without creating a huge amount more work.

Note that Pirvan is something of an expert on cleaning up scans for printing...

For resizing, rotating, cutting and general cleaning of a mesh, you can't beat NetFabb.

For modifying a mesh and "re-sculpting" it I can't think of anything easier to use than MeshMixer

For applying global changes and filters (smoothing, down-sampling, colorizing or reconstruction meshes from point clouds (scanning cleanup & reconstruction), MeshLab is the go to program.

Solidworks is a solid modelling program, and mesh manipulation is not what it does.  However, there are enough tools in there to make some basic mesh changes, but they're not easy to use.  These tools were intended to be used with surfaces, and they can manipulate mesh surfaces, to an extent.

But as Grob said, if all you need it to resize or rotate and object, you can do it in Repetier directly.

SolidWorks Premium has an 'Scan from 3D' feature that might help you out.  It is not the best tool for modifying STL files though.

aclark1983 wrote:

SolidWorks Premium has an 'Scan from 3D' feature that might help you out.  It is not the best tool for modifying STL files though.

It's actually "Scan to 3D", and as far as I know, it only supports the NextEngine scanner. 

When you buy a NextEngine scanner, you get a plug-in that enables this function.  You scan the object, directly from within Solidworks, after which SolidWorks runs their feature recognition routine. 

The process doesn't output an STL, it outputs an intermediate proprietary format co-developed by NextEngine and Dassault Systems, and once the features are recognized, it becomes at Soildworks part.

You can't use the function with an already existing STL.

Well I am sure you are contended with information mentioned above.  Furthermore, you can even take a look at this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMP93x4XFeg

thanks for this information.

3d printing services gujarat india

thanks
visit:http://vexmatech.com