1 (edited by LdyMox 2015-12-30 13:55:26)

Topic: L-Cheapo Laser Attachment (for 3D printer)

This post is about the L-Cheapo Laser Attachment on my Solidoodle. I have been playing with this and have sort of figured some stuff out and some I am still tinkering with.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9489&download=0

First I shall start with some Links:
- L-Cheapo Laser Site http://robots-everywhere.com/re_site/purchase/l-cheapo/
- L-Cheapo Laser Wiki http://robots-everywhere.com/re_wiki/in … in.LCheapo
- L-Cheapo Laser Thingaverse parts http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:354453

- L-Cheapo laser peoples e-mail [email protected] - They were very helpful and anaswered a botload of questions

My General Setup:
- Solidoodle 2 w/aluminum bed and E3Dv6
- L-Cheapo laser 3.8 Watt version (Non -PWM version because I messed it up). The laser is a violet laser.
- Custom built laser enclosure (not required but I have cats and I want to protect thier lil eyes)

Hardware:
Hardware. I bought the laser pretty mich assumbled besides attaching a 2 pin connector to the end of the wires (like on the extruder)

- By default It does not have PWM - power managment control...so by default it will be always full on or off. If you contact the people at L-Cheapo they could have it able to do PWM and you would install the PWM laser like you would a custom variable speed fan add on. be sure you know how to Solder well..I messed mine up due to my soldering incompetence...so mine is basically just full on or off

- The laser comes on a mount....but I needed a different one..but the L-Cheapo people sent me the model I needed right away and I printed it out.

- Via thingaverse I printed and installed the kickstand...which basiclally super extends the Z stop to count for the laser..can be moved out of the way for 3D printing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Software: MORE ON THIS LATER when I can type it out

LaserEtch - I never got this to work quite well for cutting or engraving..it works...but is fussy..you are better off with free options

Host Softwares:

Repetier Host- My standard

Pronterface - Found useful so seeing some prints beforehand that Repetier Host couldn't quite visualize

Model Slicers:
Slic3r- Great for engraving

Skienforge - The best option for cutting because it can do negative Z values

*on the L-Cheapo Wiki there are links to sample Slic3R and Skienforge but I made my own tweeks which once I am at my desk I can export ..more on this later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Materials I tried:

I mainly tried acrylic with just a little bit of wood

Here is my current tests of the various acrylic colors: (1/8 inch from Tap plastics because I found nice 4 by 4 inch sample squares for $2 each)

Fastest Color: Reds followed by greens. An opaque red seems to go the fastest

Worst Color: White

Can Cut:
Sign Red
Transparent Dark Red
Transparent Amber
Sign Black
Sign Green
Sign Turquoise
Kelly Green
Transparent Dark Green
Transparent Dark Yellow
Transparent Dark Red

Can Engrave (even if might take extra passes):
Clear (for this one only it engraves from the botton up, neat)
Transparent Smoke (I was suprised that it couldn't cut
Transparent Fluorescent Red
Transparent Dark Blue
Sign Dark Blue
Sky Blue

Got nothing, not even a singe:
Pearl
Sign Lighting White 40%

Still pending my tests:

Transparent Bronze
Sign Light Yellow
Sign Gray
Sign Brown
Peach
Pink

As for wood I didn't seem to have any trouble engraving, didn't try cutting too much yet.

*Just a note, I shall return with how I managed to cut, engrave and etc using Repetier Host , Slic3R and Skienforge and attach with profiles I am using the pitfalls and such...it is just a whole another long message to that LOL

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9490&download=0

Post's attachments

1915laser2.jpg
1915laser2.jpg 65.72 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

laser1.jpg
laser1.jpg 49.96 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

laser3.jpg
laser3.jpg 52.25 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

laser4.jpg
laser4.jpg 54.64 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

laser6.jpg
laser6.jpg 61.52 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Re: L-Cheapo Laser Attachment (for 3D printer)

Damn beat me to this! But looks great anymore pictures??

Here are a few more pictures. I just haven't gotten around to writing more since the holidays are over and I am trying to figure out one more issue (how to prevent the laser from buring during moves when engraving). I am ending up using Slic3R for engraves and Skienforge for cuts because Skienforge allows for -z scaling of values

Post's attachments

FB_IMG_1451998769101.jpg
FB_IMG_1451998769101.jpg 76.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

FB_IMG_1451998787139.jpg
FB_IMG_1451998787139.jpg 62.01 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

FB_IMG_1451998795236.jpg
FB_IMG_1451998795236.jpg 67.18 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA

One note I can add is that I use plain Repetier Host for my cutting(w Skienforge) and engraving(w Slic3r). I have found a trick to for example cut and then engrave a single item. As a note I have found that when engraving fast travel moves and some painter tape help aviod the laser cutting during travels since the laser is always on (I am also trying to figure other options too)

What I do I make a for example bring in 2 STLs in the Repetier Host main window. For example a STL that I will use for a round pendent shape and a STL for whatever I am engraving into that circle. I size them accordingly and then save the workspace (it's an .amf file). because it seems like Repetier Host  will reorder you stuff it is best to just delete the items on your bed and just reopen that .amf file.

From here I have my 2 items I need.  I am not sure it matters but I usually do the cut first. So what I do when I have that .amf file with the 2 STLs on it I just delete the item I have set to engrave, leaving only the cut which I don't move (just don't save over that file). I leave my STL to be cut exactly where it is and run it through Skeinforge and cut....

Once that is done I leave the piece of material in place on the bed. I reload the amf file I made and carefully position the STL I want to engrave over the STL to cut, I turn on wireframe to help. Once I have my STL to engrave positioned as close as possible, I can then delete the STI to cut from the bed leaving onyl the STL to engrave on the bed, I run it through Slic3R and engrave.

Of course I know this still does not addressing actually cutting and engraving, but I am away from my computer when I got the urge to try this...so I just added this tip LOL. The short version is for cutting I use Skienforge and make sure the Z-axis scaling is -1. On the L-Cheapo Wiki I linked also is some sample Skienforge and Slic3R profiles. Though I do intend to share mine and add some comments once I get to it.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

One additional note off the top of my head I had to figure out...is when you are cutting you want to make sure you leave room for the Z-axis to go UP. So bascially when I am cutting I basically lower the bed in my gcode so it has room to go UP as it cuts , I chose to move mine my 20.

Another note with the laser is if you are changing at any point the height in which the laser will be cutting or engraving, you will have to refocus the laser; Not a big deal but is something to be aware of.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

There is also aption for cutting/engraving that I have not tried yet (info found at http://photon-avenue.blogspot.com/2015/ … m-cad.html). I have not tried it yet but from what I have been told it will fix my issue of the laser being on during travel moves. It seems to involve making DXF files and the Dxf2Gcode program with some special config files for the Solidoodle/L-Cheapo laser combo.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Very cool! Thank you for posting.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Yet another tip that works with Slic3R/Skienforge is that I found when cutting it is best to set your shells/outer perimeters to 2. While the settings are there to allow for thicker outer perimeters so your print is stronger. It works well to get a cleaner/better cut. The only issue I have thus far with the way I am currently doing it is the fact the laser is on during travel moves hence why I am considering the DFX option above, or maybe I can edit the gcode manually to turn off the laser (AKA in my case turn off the extruder) during travel moves. Not sure how to do that, as of yet LOL. I am still kind of figuring this out.  Some people use the J Tech laser Inkscape plugin also ( http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=2012 ) which I have yet to play with much.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Very cool!

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

Another note for the laser version I got (the 3.8 watt version). The heatsink is NOT ground so it can't touch any other metal else fry your laser. This is important because if you move the laser to the VERY front of the Solidoodle it can touch against the metal frame enough to cause an issue. This can be addressed with stopping it from going to the very front via bed size; a wood block, and/or carefully positioning of your prints and what I did was add electrical tape where the frame and the heatsink could possibly come in even brief contact. You really don’t lose much of the front of the bed this way…just a tiny bit.

I think the standard 2.1 watt L-Cheapos have a smaller heatsink so maybe this is not a problem with that version. But I am not sure.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

LdyMox wrote:

... it is the fact the laser is on during travel moves ....

with my 2.1W L-cheapo, i use the option to change Z when you do travel move (i will will find the exact term when i will be at home) ...so the laser is defocused when you move (and no cut/engrave)..

the trick is to find the sweet point of 'how many Z' you need to move (and a highter speed, as much as your printer can do only for the travel move) to not cut/engrave your piece

Oh thanks that is a good idea. I know it's hard to remember the exact terms for all these settings espcailly when you are not at home LOL. I look foward to trying your idea, maybe I can find the setting when I myself get home also.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

By looking it up I am guessing it's the following settings:

In Slic3R the setting is Lift Z under the Printer settings

In Skeinforge it's call Hop

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

14 (edited by LdyMox 2016-01-06 14:14:33)

While I found the setting, so far it's been hit or miss for me. I think because my laser is more powerful. Seems I have to move my laser up by 25-30mm to get no travel burn lines, which is ok except in the meantime it burns right through the material (1/8th acrylic). Which is just fine for cutting but not as much for engraving. Not sure I can get my Z axis to move any faster as I already tried to set my travel speeds to like 99999 but of course I think it maxes out well before that because it dosen't seem much faster. I need to maybe give the LaserEtch and/or Dxf2Gcode software another try since I think it turns off the laser during moves, also maybe I can figure out when travel moves are happening and turn the laser off and on. If I could do that I might even be able to write myself a lil code to find the travel moves and insert the laser on or off before the travel moves somehow.  I am sure someway I can work this, just finding out how smile

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

You go ma'am. You are blazing a trail for us!

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10

16 (edited by LdyMox 2016-01-08 14:23:50)

I have had some success using the Inkscape and the free Inkscape plugin. To get it to show up I had to place the plugin files directly in Inkscape extensions folder (if overwrote something on my install, but didn't seem to break anything).
Below is a sample of my settings, clearly speed would vary. The directory would be wherever you want to save the files. 

- Pronterface seems to handle to generated gcode much better, I wouldn't recommend R-Host as it does not show where the image will be

- Set the Inkscape files to mm and the size of the file to whatever your bed size is, even if the image only takes up part of that space

- The inkscape plugin works on paths, so make sure you have selected a path

- generated gcode does not home your printer, so either manually home before an engrave or add that gcode on before you use it

- Inkscape plugin shows up under Extensions -> Generate gcode- > J Tech Photonics

- Seems sometimes when I was playing with it and I ran the laser tool consecutively on the same image  it was adding extra paths, so be careful of that you might have to undo a few times to make sure of that it is only sending on path in the gcode. It could have been the file I was working on or maybe user error..but just putting it in here just in case. For me last night since I was tracing a bitmap, seem if I wanted to run the laser tool plugin multiple times it was best I reload the image, retrace the bitmap into a path and then run the laser plugin again.

- While using the tracing bitmaps to make a path in inkscape, it works but I noticed it worked but I think I need to figure out some tweeks. One thing that helps is to simplify the path first before using the laser plugin.

- I have only tried it to engrave and not cut as of yet..

I think if I can try the cuts and make it work and maybe work out a few more things, this may be the way I go. It requires far less steps then I was doing before.

http://jtechphotonics.com/?page_id=2012 <~~ The plugin and some instructions

https://youtu.be/xw8h0c5Vdw8        <~~        A relevant video that shows the Inkscape plugin being used

http://soliforum.com/i/?E1dcRSy.jpg <~~  My screenshot of my settings for the Inkscape plugin but I was only engraving and not cutting. If cutting I would increase the number of passes and make my pass depth 0.05 or maybe 1.0 depending

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Here is another picture of an engraving on thin plywood. I used the Inkscape plugin for this one. About an inch across. Not perfect but still looks nice in person.

http://soliforum.com/i/?HqibJ9q.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Ok, this time I slowed the engraving down a tad, but more importantly I did not chose the "Simplify Path" option after creating the path. So clearly leaving the path more complex seems better

http://soliforum.com/i/?oecPjMq.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

I tested cutting the inkscape plugin to generate the gcode and it went just fine. I tested it with 1/8th inch Black acrylic.

For my test I used the following settings:
- 8 passes
-0.05mm pass depth
- Speed of 25 mm/min (I maybe could of had it go a lil faster)
- Also note so it would have room to go UP I started placed my material( mand focused my laser) a lil below the very top. I chose to give it 20 mm wiggle room for the hell of it

The inkscape plugin seems the easiest way to do this for sure

http://soliforum.com/i/?pBInCTZ.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

So that part took 10 minutes to cut? That'd be about a 6 second cut on my (admittedly more expensive) 60w machine.

I think it took about 15 mins to cut but I didn't pay attention. Though a 60w machine would be awesome,  but as you said far more expensive.

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

Looking at the 7 watt head myself for my Mini Kossell.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

How much is  a 7 watt laser?

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

I didn't even really notice the 7 watt one! neat.  Here is a picture of my enclosure my father in law built for my Solidoodle 2 that I use for lasering. It can lift off easy for when I am 3D printing and has a nice laser protected front window ..... and my cat who apparently thinks it's a perch for him. On the printer bed, I just have a canvas panel.

http://soliforum.com/i/?nDPgtBh.jpg

Tammy
Solidoodle 2
From Buffalo, NY, USA

i find this software on website for DIY CNC with laser head  ( www.vicious1.com )

it's a updated custom version of image2gcode that can help us..

see joined, the source is also joined

Post's attachments

3dpBurner-Image2Gcode-for-MPCNC-v3.rar 1.11 mb, 6 downloads since 2016-01-26 

3dpBurner-Image2Gcode-MPCNC.rar 102.77 kb, 5 downloads since 2016-01-26