Topic: Dishwasher safe prints

Hi,
PLA is definitely NOT dishwasher safe.   Gets all soft and weak.

What about PETG ?

Re: Dishwasher safe prints

poppinfresh wrote:

Hi,
PLA is definitely NOT dishwasher safe.   Gets all soft and weak.

What about PETG ?

There is no such thing as dishwasher or more correctly food safe material for printing. The issue is not the material so much as the construction. There will be tiny microscopic holes in the walls of your item that cannot be sealed. Food will get in those and will not be able to be cleaned. This will promote bacterial growth that could make your or others sick or worse depending on the bacteria.

I honestly cannot condone the use of a printed product to be used in any way that allows it to contact food that will be eaten. It is just not safe. An ABS print could be Acetone vapor finished but even then there is no way of knowing if every hole is sealed.

Now as to your actual question, you really need to get a thermometer that can measure high temp and has a remote probe you could place in your dishwasher. You need to find out just what temp the water and inside is getting to. They all have heating elements that are used to make the water much hotter than what comes from the tap. They also have a drying cycle that can be heated or just air dry. The heated cycle would probably get too hot but it is possible the inside temps during a wash cycle are getting to a high enough temp as well.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Hello Carl,
I'm not the least bit concerned about food safety.   Only whether or not I can print an object with my 3D printer that can hold up under the temperature inside the dishwasher.

I'm trying to make a PART for the inside of the dishwasher itself.

I've heard of Proto_pasta.   It's a high temp PLA.
Any experience with that?

poppinfresh wrote:

Hello Carl,
I'm not the least bit concerned about food safety.   Only whether or not I can print an object with my 3D printer that can hold up under the temperature inside the dishwasher.

I'm trying to make a PART for the inside of the dishwasher itself.

I've heard of Proto_pasta.   It's a high temp PLA.
Any experience with that?

Before you look at filament you need to first determine what the temperature is inside the dishwasher at the highest point. That would be the logical starting point as you my find it to be very high since it does have to sanitize. It could possibly be too high for anything but ABS or PC.

I doubt any kind of PLA will work even if high temp as it is designed to break down under moisture and exposure to the elements within two years of being put in a landfill.

Thanks.
The temperature is 207 F

Do you know if PETG will hold up?

poppinfresh wrote:

Thanks.
The temperature is 207 F

Do you know if PETG will hold up?

I use PETG most of the time and it prints at 250 to 270C so it should be ok..

Wow.  It extrudes at 270C (max)

That's 518 degrees Fahrenheit.

The inside of the dishwasher never gets half that.  You'd think it'd work fine.
Of coure, it might get "softer" at a much lower temp.   That's the liquid flow temp right?

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-12-24 03:39:19)

poppinfresh wrote:

Wow.  It extrudes at 270C (max)

That's 518 degrees Fahrenheit.

The inside of the dishwasher never gets half that.  You'd think it'd work fine.
Of coure, it might get "softer" at a much lower temp.   That's the liquid flow temp right?

Correct, that is the extruding temp. My bed is at 90 and it is soft and flexible when on the bed.. So that would mean it can get soft at 194F..

So PETG might be an issue. Not sure if there are any printable plastics that would work. guess you will just need to look around and maybe see if you can get some samples to tri printing a small object with comparable walls to your object and see if it gets soft or deforms.