Topic: What has changed with new DaVinci 1.0A firmware 2.0.0?

Today my davinci software is prompting me to upload a new firmware version. I have the 1.0A (blue) with 1.0.6 (1A6) firmware installed. I checked the davinci website and it appears the new release is 2.0.0 with timestamp 2015/09/21. There are no release notes.

Anybody taken a look at this new firmware release and identified what has changed?

Re: What has changed with new DaVinci 1.0A firmware 2.0.0?

eositis wrote:

Today my davinci software is prompting me to upload a new firmware version. I have the 1.0A (blue) with 1.0.6 (1A6) firmware installed. I checked the davinci website and it appears the new release is 2.0.0 with timestamp 2015/09/21. There are no release notes.

Anybody taken a look at this new firmware release and identified what has changed?

Version 2.0.0 update, mainly support windows 3d builder and print directly.

I assume you mean the 3D support provided by Win10. Are there any release notes, or functionality changes that affect OSX and Win7 users?

Does it render resetters useless?

I noticed at some point a firmware release limited the max temperature of the filament to a lower value, "feature" that created issues with external filament that in general works better at a higher temperature. I do not remember too well if it was on my Duo or the 1.0, when or what caused it, but I immediately downgraded after a full reset since I do not need such shitty new "features".

I believe it was on the 1.0  caused by running accidentally an older version of the XYZ executable that upgraded firmware without bothering to await confirmation from the printer owner since such an excellent "feature" is such a good thing that they should not bother to ask for permission to do it.

6 (edited by TheNeck 2015-10-16 06:47:43)

Rhino4824 wrote:

Does it render resetters useless?

i was wondering the same thing, i just got a 1.0a today from ebay and it has 1.0.1.

so im wondering which version can i upgrade to, and still be able to use my resetters.

I would just stay on 1.0.1 I dont believe there is any quality benefit to newer firmwares.

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

georgehine wrote:

I would just stay on 1.0.1 I dont believe there is any quality benefit to newer firmwares.

ok thanks

also once you update to the latest stock firmware on the 1.0A you can't go back to an older version, correct?

I am curious about the resetter and downgrading as well?

If all they did was add compatibility with Windows 10 3D builder, maybe (hopefully) the resetter will still work for at least resetting the lengths?

Anyone have a resetter and firmware 2.0.0 to test on?

I didn't bother with the new firmware in the end...Repetier it is! Wish I did it 6 months ago. If nothing else for the low noise level of printer.  So far the prints are far better I must say. #neverlookback

TheNeck wrote:
georgehine wrote:

ok thanks

also once you update to the latest stock firmware on the 1.0A you can't go back to an older version, correct?

TheNeck wrote:

i was wondering the same thing, i just got a 1.0a today from ebay and it has 1.0.1.
so im wondering which version can i upgrade to, and still be able to use my resetters.

There is a little bit of confusion surrounding this entire topic, but I'll spell it all out here for everyone... smile

There are 2 different models of the 1.0 that I'm sure most are all aware of by now - the original model was simply the 1.0, without notice XYZ started shipping a revised model that is pretty much identical, the 1.0A.

The original 1.0 could VERY easily be switched between Firmware versions, and even from XYZ to Repetier and back again. This all changed when they released the 1.0A though.

IF your front door says "3D Printer" then you have the revised 1.0A, which in every sense is identical to the original 1.0 with one exception - if you remove the back panel, the 1.0A uses the same Microcontroller / Mainboard as the AiO and will NOT allow you to easily revert back to XYZ FW versions (With 1 exception... I will get to this)

1.0.1 was the first FW Version that shipped with the 1.0A - Followed by 1.0.3, 1.0.5, 1.0.6 and 2.0.x (there have been a couple reports of a 1.0.2, though I have never verified this).

I can confirm that 1.0.1 through 1.0.6 can ALL use chip-resetters *to reset filament length*

*1.0.1 and 1.0.3 can be reset to allow for filament lengths up to 400m and 999m and also allow temperature adjustments!
*1.0.5 and 1.0.6 can only be reset to support 120m/240m and no longer allow for temperature control

There is no loss using resetters by using 1.0.3, and from my experience offers slightly better prints. I have had my printers for just over a year now and have used all 4 FW's - .1, .3, .5 and .6 and with everything calibrated and all of my slic3r settings dialed in I get more (dimensionally) accurate prints using 1.0.3 - this is the FW version I would recommend!

Now, if you have the 1.0A, Repetier does exist now for this model and all of the kinks have been worked out (like the screen not working). However, if you decide to upgrade to Repetier be sure that you - 1. Know what you are doing first! Do your research because there is NO going back! 2. Understand that this will erase XYZ's bootloader and not allow you to go back to using XYZ's firmware and Software! 3. Understand that this will completely void your warranty and XYZ will not honor claims if you go this route!

If you have the 1.0A and have mistakenly upgraded past the point of 1.0.3 (1.0.5/6 - 2.0.x) and wish to get the full benefits of using a chip resetter (like Polymer Type, 400m or 999m, or extruder/bed temp adjustments) there has been no way of "downgrading" your FW... Until today!!

I have a number of 3D Printers available to me including (2) Da Vinci 1.0A's - one is running Repetier, the other I kept XYZ's FW for testing purposes on my own line of resetters. As well as a Custom Delta (based on the Kossel Mini XL) running Marlin4Due and another Mendel90 running Marlin.

My younger brother was recently using my Da Vinci 1.0A with FW 1.0.3, but somehow accidentally upgraded it to 1.0.6 - I needed an older FW to test my resetters so I have spent the past week or so digging up everything I could and found the same thing everywhere I looked - it could not be downgraded... Considering ALL versions of XYZ FW use the same bootloader I figured there had to be a way (AND THERE IS!) as long as you have not done a HARD Reset (jumping the reset pins on the board). If you have done a "Soft Reset" there is now hope though!

There is a lot of messing around with soft-resets, installing/uninstalling XYZware versions, and flashing different FW's involved and far too much to post here right now, but I am working on a full How-to article that I will be posting once I get my new website up and running - I'll probably create a new post here and other forums as well before though.

As a side note - I can not say whether or not the latest 2.0.x FW versions will still allow the use of resetters from personal experience, however from what I know about XYZ and their FW and Software, there shouldn't be a problem resetting the filament length back to 240m as long as you follow the guides out there about disabling internet access to XYZWare and incrementing the SN on the chip. Keep in mind that XYZ is doing everything they possibly can to limit the use of 3rd party filaments though so they can continue to charge insane amounts of money for sub-par filament! 240m = approximately 0.6kg which equates to about $47 for a full kg, and it isn't even good filament! I have been using filament from US based manufacturer called Coex3D @ about $20-23/kg and my prints look far better than I ever though possible with this printer!

BTW, if you're interested in some great filament at a great price check them out at http://www.coex3d.com/ They have some really cool colors like fluorescents, glow in the dark, iridescents and they can even make custom colors on request!

I purchased a DaVinci 1.0A before doing any research I connected to my desktop and it upgraded to firmware 2.0.1. After reading different comments on forums I set-up the firewall to block outgoing and incoming. More reading wasn't sure if I could reset the filament cartridge chip bought a chip resetter when it came time to try tried it and it worked. Reset the length to 240 and printing with filament other than DaVinci's.

If you don't mind me asking which re-setter are you using?

Where are you seeing the 3rd decimal point?  Mine say 1.1F and 2.0J

The 2.0J seems solid, but the 1.1F doesnt look as good.  whats the best 1.0 (not A) firmware for use with a resetter?