Re: Marlin Firmware for Da Vinci 1.0 with RAMPS.

my printer is stopping periodically what do you think is wrong?

there is no real advantage to the ramps 1.4 I did it because I fried my logic board and that was the only options. although if you plan to add a second extruder than the ramps can do that .

and just because I don't think it is very good to ask advice, I am indeed still a beginner I am just talking about my experience with it some may say it is better and have other advantages that I may not know of

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

my printer is stopping periodically what do you think is wrong?

If you are trying to print live over USB then it could be a bad cable. unlike the stock board the file is not sent to the printer and then printed. It is sent live and printed as a stream of data. you will not be able to turn off or disconnect the PC during a print now unless you use and SDcard.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I am printing from the sd card and the print wasn't stopping before on that same print

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

I am printing from the sd card and the print wasn't stopping before on that same print

So it just stops? The print head stops over the print or does it stop and move home? I guess the question is it stopping as in it thinks it is done or is it freezing or just stopping in the middle of the print? No errors on the display? Make sure you have a fan blowing on the board... I had to cut a hole in my back cover and mount a fan to it so it was blowing on the board all the time..

Ive been meaning to cut a hole in that cover.  ive left the cover off of mine and have duct taped all the holes between the printing chamber and the board.  Seems fine other than 1 extruder driver failure, but 75% yield is probably about right for sainsmart

no error messages just stops and some times it moves back on the x axis toward the end stop, and do you know a good way to measure or find the best voltage for a stepper driver with a multi meter or other way to find the right voltage any way

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

no error messages just stops and some times it moves back on the x axis toward the end stop, and do you know a good way to measure or find the best voltage for a stepper driver with a multi meter or other way to find the right voltage any way

The voltage should be between 1.3 and 1.5 with 1.7 being the absolute max.

I do have a fan on my ramps board

Since it does it on SDcard as well the only thing I can think off is the power supply. It may be dropping out under load and your logic is locking up due to that drop. I actually went and upgraded my supply before the RAMPS conversion because the flickering light bar annoyed me. I could always see it out of the corner of my eye. So that could be why I have not seen this behaviour except when on USB.

do you have any good methods of tuning voltage on the stepper motor i.e. multimeter

You just need a small screw driver. Preferably not conductive... The stepper drivers usually have a pad for ground but you can also use the ground pin if you look up the pinout for a standard stepper driver. Then you put the positive probe on the metal part of the adjusting pot the screwdriver actually fits in..

https://www.pololu.com/blog/484/video-s … r-carriers

what is the voltage of the motors on the da vinci 1.0

If you mean the VREF it should be around 1.3 to 1.5 and no higher than 1.7. You might need to get closer to 1.7 if you have a tight axis..

The idea is not so much the voltage as long as you don't go over 7 as that will exceed the 1.7 amps that the motors are rated for.

The idea is to adjust the voltage just enough that the motors will run. You would want to have it printing then back the voltage off on each axis just till it stops then move it back up just a bit so the motor will run without binding in the event an axis is slightly bent or warped. Z is not so critical as long as it moves since it does not move all the time but should still be in the general voltage range of the others.

If you mean the operating voltage, I am not sure and it does not matter as 98% of all NEMA17 motors operate at the same voltages. It just depends on what they have the steppers tuned to put out as they can operate on a wide range up to 30 volts. But since the MAX supply voltage on a Da Vinci is 12 then they would most likely be operating at 12 volts on  it.

It is stopping when connected to computer and sd what do you think is wrong and how should I fix it?

my lcd just turned off  and will not turn back onwhile trying to measure the amps what is wrong?

68 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-02-07 07:16:14)

Sounds like you shorted something out. I did ask you to read up or watch the video on the process and they normally stress to be careful of what the meter leads touch. There are thermal fuses on the RAMPS that may have tripped. Turn everything off for about ten minutes and see if it works after that.. If not you blew another board or power supply..

Power supply also has self protection so shutting down and waiting a few allows it to reset.

Do I replace the ramps board or the arduino board or both

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

Do I replace the ramps board or the arduino board or both

You need to check the power supply first.  Black wires are ground.  Yellow is 12 v,  red is 5v,  and blue is 3. 3.  If the power supply checks out then go with RAMPS.

Hi Carl,

first of all thanks for the upload of your firmware smile

I have a favor to ask if possible.

Can you test if adding the library for the big LCD screen compiles correctly for you?

thanks
Seb

thet2 wrote:

Hi Carl,

first of all thanks for the upload of your firmware smile

I have a favor to ask if possible.

Can you test if adding the library for the big LCD screen compiles correctly for you?

thanks
Seb

What version of Arduino are you using? You have to use 1.5.5 -r2. The newer versions are not compatible with these older displays.

my z motor is skipping but only when it is printing and not when homing what do you think is wrong

dude i downloaded your attached file but when i compile it says "error compiling for arduino mega"

ryanryebredbrewer wrote:

dude i downloaded your attached file but when i compile it says "error compiling for arduino mega"

Which version of Arduino are you using and are you using an LCD?