Topic: Marlin Firmware for Da Vinci 1.0 with RAMPS.

Many are starting to swap out the XYZ electronics for RAMPS on their Da Vinci 1.0's. For those of you who have and all is good congrats. For those who are having issues getting the firmware setup, I thought I would share my copy with you. This is a pre-configured for my 1.0 version but should let any other 1.0 run with little to no changes.

Post's attachments

TEST Marlin.rar 2.42 mb, 407 downloads since 2015-09-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Re: Marlin Firmware for Da Vinci 1.0 with RAMPS.

Hey Carl - I am trying to use crimps in duponts for davinci wires. I am having trouble getting the crimps to stay in the duponts when inserting the connectors in ramp pins. How did you convert your davinci wires for ramps?

3 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-30 18:15:38)

I bought the same connectors and pins a system with RAMPS would have from mouser. Here are the links on the mouser site to each.

Gold Pins:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet … 20-1180042

4 Pin Housing:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet … 20-1060400

3 Pin Housing:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet … 20-1060300

2 Pin Housing:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet … 20-1060200

4 (edited by barry1685 2015-10-01 15:34:57)

Thanks Carl. And one last question. For the extruder heating wire and hot bed heating wire, Does it matter which wire goes in the positive and negative terminal? If it does matter how do you know which one is positive and which one is negative since they are both the same color wire?

Nvm They have no polarity. So it doesn't matter which wire goes in positive/negative.

What did you use for the LCD screen? I can't seem to find any ribbon cable adapters

foxodus wrote:

What did you use for the LCD screen? I can't seem to find any ribbon cable adapters

I bought the one the came with the RAMPS then I bought a kit on ebay to make ten foot ten pin ribbon cables that work with the RAMPS EXP1 and EXP2 ports.

how did you upload the marlin to your davinci 1.0

where is the arduino file in the download file I can`t seem to find it

9 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-01-18 05:32:31)

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

how did you upload the marlin to your davinci 1.0

Well first you have to RAMPS 1.4 or other board designed to run on Marlin/Sprinter/Repetier firmware.. Marlin will not work with the stock board..

If you have aRamps then download Marlin and Arduino. The go into the Marlin folder and find the file called Marlin.ino and double click it. Arduino should then open it. Make your changes needed to configuration.h tab. Then from the tool bar select Tools the board and make sure Arduino MEGA or MEGA 2560 is selected. The from tools again select port and the port that the PC recognizes the printer on..

Then simply click the circle with the arrow. it will verify and then if no errors it will upload.

I uploaded it to the ramps 1.4 and the extruder stepper motor is not working and the axis steppers only go one way. Should I replace the ramps 1.4 board or is it a firmware issue?

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

I uploaded it to the ramps 1.4 and the extruder stepper motor is not working and the axis steppers only go one way. Should I replace the ramps 1.4 board or is it a firmware issue?

What did you upload? The version attached to my opening post or another? If my version did you make any changes? Did you use the stock sensors or did you use third party and are they mechanical or opto. My version is only configured for third party opto switches. The stovk switches will not work tegardless of firmware version. Are you the switches are connected with proper polarity.

the one you linked and I used third party mech switches adn it is the stepper mottor ony going one way nothing is wrong with the endstops

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

the one you linked and I used third party mech switches adn it is the stepper mottor ony going one way nothing is wrong with the endstops

Unless you enable pullups in the firmware the mechanical endstops will not work. Motors running in only one direction is 99% of the time caused by endstops not functioning or their logic being reversed.

As I said my version was configured for optical endstops and will not work as is for mechanical endstops.

also the extruder motor is not working at all it doesn't even make a sound or vibrate. How do I enable pullups in the firmware. and I checked the stepper motor driver and it is fine

may i also ask how did you change the thermistor to get the bed working

16 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-01-29 05:55:44)

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

may i also ask how did you change the thermistor to get the bed working

I threw out the stock thermistor. Used a dremel tool and made a small hollow in the general area of the original and installed a standard 100k in the hollow.

For pullups open the firmware in Arduino, go to the configuration.h tab. Then down to the pullup section. It has commented text that tells you whst to do. If you dont understand I or someone will post what the section should look like tomorrow. As for the motor does it run when plugged into another axis?

Unless you are heating the extruder and it is above I believe 170 or whatever the cold extrusion prevention temp is in the firmware then the extruder will not even run. This is a safety feature to prevent grinding filament and causing jams.

yes the motor works on other axises

I still don't understand how to switch the code for mech switches. sorry I'm kind of a noob when it comes down to this stuff. Thank you.

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

yes the motor works on other axises

In regards to the motor on the extruder,  it will not operate unless the extruder is heated to 170 based on this line in the firmware.

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170

as for the pullups being enabled you need to change the following code in the firmware from:

#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  // #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  //#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

To this below:

#define ENDSTOPPULLUPS // Comment this out (using // at the start of the line) to disable the endstop pullup resistors

#ifndef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
  // fine endstop settings: Individual pullups. will be ignored if ENDSTOPPULLUPS is defined
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
  #define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

#ifdef ENDSTOPPULLUPS
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMAX
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_XMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_YMIN
#define ENDSTOPPULLUP_ZMIN
#endif

Note that I removed the // from 12 lines of code. The // makes the line a comment and is ignored as valid code.

once you do this and reload it, you may find the switches are operating backwards. If you do then you need to change the following lines from:

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

To the following below:

// The pullups are needed if you directly connect a mechanical endswitch between the signal and ground pins.
const bool X_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MIN_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = true; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool X_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Y_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.
const bool Z_MAX_ENDSTOP_INVERTING = false; // set to true to invert the logic of the endstop.

Notice I changed only the MIN endstops from false to true. The max don't matter as this machine does not have them.

All of these settings can be found in the firmware when opened in Arduino version 1.5.6 - r2 under the configuration.h tab. Newer versions will have issues compiling the code for the LCD if you have installed a different LCD. If you plan to use and LCD then you will need a different one as the stock one will no longer work with a RAMPS board. If you do want third party LCD support then don't forget that the u8glib library also has to be installed into or actually imported into Arduino so it knows how to run the display.

last question: when it finishes leveling before a print it goes up even if it hits the endstop. So how do I fix that.]
thank you for all of your help

after it home it goes up like 15 mm and ruin the endstop placement

If you sue Repetier host, go to the manual controls tab. while connected to the printer move by hand all axis to the home position. So the sensors are triggered. Then in the command window on Repetier type M119 and press send.

In the output window you should get a report of the endstop status. Post that here. But please make sure all three are in their home position and the lever is being pressed to the point of triggering. It sounds like you need to invert the Z endstop. But the M119 will confirm it's state and that is what we need to know before making changes.

17:51:07.098 : x_min: TRIGGERED
17:51:07.101 : y_min: TRIGGERED
17:51:07.101 : z_min: open

I think that the z endstop is broken because I accidently broke the led

coleslaw.nagao wrote:

17:51:07.098 : x_min: TRIGGERED
17:51:07.101 : y_min: TRIGGERED
17:51:07.101 : z_min: open

In the firmware set the z max inverting back to false. Then upload and try the M119 command again. It may not be broken just triggering wrong.