Re: Fuse for 12 volt extruder

mark.burton wrote:

It would save having to fix the main board. What amp fuse are you using. I don't know how much the heater can pull so not sure what value to use.

4amp allows for a max of 48 watts

Da Vinci 1.0 stock firmware and stock xyzware.
3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

27 (edited by mark.burton 2015-09-30 01:29:01)

Thanks . I think I will have to put that mod in soon just to be safe. I have 715+ hours printing so far.
but I think I will use a fuse holder smile

yeah I just didnt have a fuse holder laying around and I wanted to be printing.

3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

29 (edited by scubadog 2015-09-30 22:06:31)

Ok guys here's the latest. I removed the r271 and soldered across the tabs. Then installed an inline fuse like georgehine did only I did use a fuse holder. The closest fuse I could find was a 5 amp. Now when I turn it on it heats the extruder up to 275 then shuts down with an error code of issue 14. What have I done and would installing repetier solve my problem?

The stock firmware has a high limit set to avoid thermal runaway. That settings is 250 for 5 seconds. If it stays at 250 or higher for more than 5 seconds you will get that error. You would need to switch to Repetier so you can change that high limit. It cannot be changed on stack firmware.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I guess my first question should have been why is it going up to 275 degrees? And what can I do to fix that? And if it doesn't shut down in repetier how high would it go.

I would check to make sure you don't have any extra solder bridges.

33 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-30 23:07:35)

scubadog wrote:

I guess my first question should have been why is it going up to 275 degrees? And what can I do to fix that? And if it doesn't shut down in repetier how high would it go.

The 275 is overshoot. Remember I said there is a window of like 5 to 10 seconds, I can't remember exactly that it looks for the temp to be in. So for the duration of that window it is still heating even if it has hit the cutoff. The logic has to see that it is passed the cutoff for the duration of that window before it will cut the power and throw and error.

The heater is not made where it supplies just enough power to reach a temp. It is switched off and on at full power all the time. The closer it gets to your temp the more often it is switched off and on to maintain that temp but the full 12 or 24 volts is still applied to it.

There is no fix as there is nothing wrong. If you wanted to be able to run at a temp that would exceed the 250 cutoff then you would need to install Repetier firmware so you could set that thermal runaway check for a higher then temp then your desired operating temp.

If he is on stock firmware the bed temp should be set by the cart. So unless his cart some how got messed up and set the extruder temp to high or he use a cart reset to change the setting it shouldn't be going that high?

Maybe I'm missing something?

OK back up then as I was under the impression he was setting his temp and wanted to go higher. As he asked how he could fix it so he could go higher I thought.

So OP what is your temp reading at room temp without a heating command being sent? Should be around 23 or so.. If you are going to 275 it is either a false reading due to a shorted thermistor or something else.

I would start by testing the thermistor. it is just a resistor that changes resistance value based on temperature. in the pic it is the 2 little white wire going into the side of the brass nozzle. you should be able to follow those wires back to the motherboard and meter the resistance between them. then as it heats up the resistance should get lower and lower the hotter it gets.http://soliforum.com/i/?CqnQ0ng.jpg

here is a chart of the thermistors resistance vs temp. please let me know what you find.
http://soliforum.com/i/?J3kyeYo.png

3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

Ok it's taking me a while  but here's what I've come up with.http://soliforum.com/i/?YOwbgIt.jpg

Yes you could take a reading there.

Ok I checked there and don't get any change there. Does that mean my thermistor is bad?  I have already ordered another one so I hope that is what it is.

What ohms does read when the hot end is cold?  you may want to check and make sure the wires don't have a short any where in them

The ohm meter doesn't change it just says 1.0. If I disconnect it and check for continuity it shows no continuity. Is that normal?

sounds to me like your thermistor is a open circuit, so yes it is bad. Just use high temp silicon to put the new thermistor into the nozzle when you get it.

3D printer Noob.
Stock ABS filaments

Ok thanks I appreciate all the help I've gotten here I'll let you know what happens when I get the new thermistor.

Just a little update guys. I replaced the thermistor with the suggested one and I still have the same problem. Is there something I could have gotten to hot when I removed the resistor and replaced it with the fuse that is causing this? It seems like the heater just stays on and doesn't shut down when it's supposed to.

I have a Da Vinci 2.0 Duo.  I abused the r271 with solder (I can't solder worth a crap), but it fixed one of the extruders.  Is there another fuse for extruder 1?

yes there will be one for each extruder

Hey Scubadog
I am having the same problem.  Soldered r271 and heating up like a SOB.  Kicks a 014 error. So i pull the plug.
Did you find a solution to your priblem?
Thanks
Dave

New user here. Just got a 2.0 Duo from a friend who no longer was needing it. No instructions of course. Cleaning the extruders with a small brass wire brush and what happens? Yep it shorts out and blows r271. So I find this thread.

Questions:

1. Do I need to replace r271, and if so, what is the resistance value of it? I can solder just fine, but determining resistances of already installed components I have difficulty.

2. If I do not have to replace r271, will adding the inline fuse allow it to function as normal again?

3. I should switch to the Repetier firmware?

Thanks for any responses.

The resistor is a zero ohm resistor. Just need to order one of that value and same physical size.

themanchesters wrote:

Hey Scubadog
I am having the same problem.  Soldered r271 and heating up like a SOB.  Kicks a 014 error. So i pull the plug.
Did you find a solution to your priblem?
Thanks
Dave

Your thermistor is probably bad or shorted as well. Worse case you shorted the 12 volts at the heater to the thermistor and blew your AD converter on your mainboard.