1 (edited by heartless 2015-09-16 12:55:30)

Topic: Sintron Delta Build - Buyer Beware!

The Sintron Delta kit arrived on Wednesday - a full 2 days earlier than expected. The whole box was wrapped in bubble wrap - on the outside... interesting...

Unboxing...

http://soliforum.com/i/?9pjZZzx.jpg

Everything neatly packaged, nothing really loose or slopping around....

http://soliforum.com/i/?dW6tIsR.jpg

Got it all out of the shipping box, time to look things over a bit more carefully...

As with most things, You get what you pay for - the plastic parts leave a bit to be desired. they range in quality from excellent (left) to unusable (right) ...

http://soliforum.com/i/?G5a8vEp.jpg

but the thing that bothers me the most is they are printed in PLA... Ok, so new printed parts are in order.

Had emailed Sintron to get the software/firmware bundle and build instructions - got those in no time. Asked for the .stl files for the parts, and they happily obliged - so far so good with customer service...

most of the way done with the main frame parts - printed in the Inland Green ABS...printing the last lower piece now, and have one more upper to do before I can actually start building this thing.

http://soliforum.com/i/?QcswYiM.jpg

The build instructions are a bit of a joke... plagerized from another kit retailer (Blomker Industries). They cut out a lot of stuff, and changed only what they absolutely had to. There is nothing in the instructions about the heated bed, or about hooking up the LCD screen it came with. Not real worried about either for myself, but I can see other people buying this kit and not having a clue what to do with this stuff.

And here is the best part - they have completely blocked being able to print the instructions! no printing, no copying, nothing but viewing them on your computer screen, and you have to have a password to do that!

Anyway... once the printed parts are done, the actual building will commence... should be an interesting journey... =P

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

2 (edited by Tin Falcon 2015-09-12 00:35:41)

Re: Sintron Delta Build - Buyer Beware!

You could always go all out and get aluminum parts and the aluminum motor mounts will act as a heat sink.

Connectors about $55 effector $15 and carriages $30 so about a $100 upgrade.

http://www.robotdigg.com/category/15/De … 3D+Printer
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thanks for that info & link, Tin.

For now I think we will hold off spending any extra dough on this thing and see if we can even get it put together and running first, LOL.

Then, if it does run decently, I will think about upgrading a few bits. It does use wheeled carriages on the 2020 rather than the bearing slides, so we will have to see...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I got folger techs delta which is probably the exact same thing. Make sure you calibrate motor current before running the motors much. I did not due to getting in a hurry and the motors got hot enough to deform the bottom mounts. I had to tear down and reprint new ones. Now it sits in a corner waiting for me to get motivated to finish the wiring.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Yeah, we thought about the FolgerTech version, but got this one a fair bit cheaper. Biggest difference I can see is the slides - this one uses wheels on the 2020 extrusion, the FT uses bearing slides...

and will do on the checking of vref before running. Thanks for the heads up on that one carl.

building commences today. smile more later...

Didn't get as far as we would have liked to today - too many issues, but did make some progress...

Got all of the frame corners re-printed with no major problems. started putting in the screws & T-nuts to start assembly... test fit a piece of the 2020 to one of the frame corners and our first problem showed up... the T-nuts were bottoming out against the plastic and were no where near being tight on the 2020... so, had to modify each corner piece to reduce the amount of plastic where the T-nuts fit...

Top has been sanded/filed down, bottom is as printed... (had the same issue with the PLA parts, too...)

http://soliforum.com/i/?dWdgQLU.jpg

Ok, so we got all the plastic parts modified, and assembly began in earnest... lower frame was a bit of a pain with the double row of 2020, but it is together...

http://soliforum.com/i/?c1dJ2mS.jpg

Upper frame went together a bit more smoothly.

and this is where she stands as of right now... fully assembled bare frame.

http://soliforum.com/i/?TjrEtd5.jpg

We are having to reprint the wheel carriages and the belt/arm assemblies, as well as the effector plate - apparently there is no quality control when it comes to the plastic bits. One of the belt holders had obviously shifted during print, making it useless. another had bad sagging of/around the arm mounts. Cant fit the locking nuts in the holes on the effector plate for mounting the arms... and the list goes on.

The instructions for this thing are basically useless. As I noted before, they were plagiarized from Blomker Industries, with major sections cut out completely. The sections that replaced the cut parts (different assemblies) are little more than "gather these parts" and "assemble them" with pictures of the parts needed, and the fully assembled parts - no direction on what to assemble in what order... roll you basically have to make a semi-educated guess as to what needs to be done in what order.

I would NOT recommend this particular kit to anyone at this point.

Will attempt to continue tomorrow - need to finish printing the slider carriages and the effector plate before I can go much further... which reminds me... the zip file we were given for the stl files? yeah... only parts out of that we can use were the upper & lower frame parts... no other parts actually in this kit are included in that file, everything else is different... (the file is the Kossel 2020 master originally from github - found it while looking for stl's for the other parts we need. Thank goodness for thingiverse!)

And it just keeps getting better and better....

got the carriages reprinted and assembled, and a new effector piece printed up... go to assemble the rods to the effector and gee, isn't that interesting - the huge rod ends they shipped with this thing bind up... (even without the washers next to the plastic they still bind)

http://soliforum.com/i/?UvcQmre.jpg

and, they don't fit the other end either...

http://soliforum.com/i/?DMHb7mo.jpg

So... I guess I am off to the local hobby shop to see what I can find to replace these things with. Some RC car rod ends would be good, but may have to find something to replace the rod as well... roll

Buyer definitely beware on this one!

On the FT Delta they use RC tie rod ends that are threaded on to threaded rod. That threaded rod is then inserted and glued with CA glue into a carbon fiber tube that was cut to the correct length to account for the tie rod ends hole center to hole center for the over all desired length.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

yeah, I know - and that design is what these jokers should have stayed with... but hey, i guess they figured they could make it "better" by using steel rods and rod ends... ya... right...

after a thorough search of thingiverse, I may have come up with an effector plate that might work - printing now (have tried several variations with basically the same results so far). If this one doesn't work then it is off to the hobby shop for real to get the RC rod ends, threaded rod and tubing of some sort, be it CF or brass or aluminum...

a little more progress yesterday. Got the latest effector plate printed up (tried several variations, most of which had the same issue as the stock piece) I believe the newest one is going to work - it is a little bit larger in overall diameter, but the spacing between the rod ends is much better - they dont bind anymore, and the spacing of the pairs remains the same as the stock part.

New effector with rods attached - red one is the stock part

http://soliforum.com/i/?m6nvt4d.jpg

at the other end, I modeled up some 2.5mm spacers to get enough clearance between the belt/rod carriage and the wheel carriage..

http://soliforum.com/i/?HS2s02h.jpg

this is allowing the rod end to move freely.

and one side of the assembled parts...

http://soliforum.com/i/?9lnmkO3.jpg

Got the effector assembly mounted on the frame and found that the carriages are rubbing ever so slightly on the frame rails... a washer between the carriage and wheel solved that problem... (no, washers were not provided in the kit for this)

Rubbing - without washers...

http://soliforum.com/i/?t3ddVvO.jpg

Not rubbing - with washers...

http://soliforum.com/i/?LkQuT65.jpg

On the agenda today is getting the end-stops in place (will probably mean more printing ahead) and hopefully start on wiring things up.

Gee let's throw a bunch of things in a box that sort of resemble 3d printer parts send them to gullible american and see if they can build a printer. Reminds me of the statement I hear about Harbor Freight tools (AKA Horrible Fright) "Home of the tool shaped objects."  sometimes a resemblance of form is there but function leaves a lot to be desired. 
From what I have seen  with undue sweat and perseverance you will have a 3d printer to add to the pack.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

Gee let's throw a bunch of things in a box that sort of resemble 3d printer parts send them to gullible american and see if they can build a printer. Reminds me of the statement I hear about Harbor Freight tools (AKA Horrible Fright) "Home of the tool shaped objects."  sometimes a resemblance of form is there but function leaves a lot to be desired. 
From what I have seen  with undue sweat and perseverance you will have a 3d printer to add to the pack.
Tin

LOL - thank you for the giggle, Tin. kinda needed that! LOL
But, yeah, that first sentence about sums it up with this one. But hey, if this thread can save someone else the headache down the road, so much the better. wink

As for the perseverance part - yeah, got my work cut out for me still - need to modify the effector & find another hotend mount/clamp (and/or modify it to fit right), and probably reprint the probe mount as well.
Have already hunted down and printed up some new end stop mounts for it. What they provided was a joke - basically 2 layer thick pads to keep the circuit board from shorting out against the frame - not a "mount" at all.

I am determined to make this thing work - how well remains to be seen - but it WILL work!

for a few more dollars, the FT kit would have been a far better value - even with known issues... (most of which it appears they have corrected)

And thanks to filastruder.com, I am not even going to mess around with the j-head hotend that came with this kit.

We already have an E3D Lite6 on hand, so with a coupling and some PTFE tubing ordered, it will be getting a much better hotend. smile (at least I know that part will work! LOL)

Thanks Tim!

After some discussion, and a lot of deliberation, the other half has purchased a FolgerTech Kossel kit, so when it arrives my attention will be focused fully on it until it is up and running as I would like to have it operational for the demo day I am doing at the local mall on October 3rd.

The Sintron will still be futzed with & eventually I will get it running in spare time (found a 7 page thread over in the reprap forums on this one - nothing good to say about this kit there either, but most have gotten them up and running, so there is hope). If I can get it running it may go up for sale - sans the E3D lite6 - the stock j-head will be going in.

anyway, still pushing forward on this one till the FT arrives. Not really much to show at this point. I found some much better endstop mounts on thingiverse than the 2 layer thick "pads" Sintron provided that can hardly be called mounts... Got the endstops in place and mounted the box for the Ramps board and printed up some mounts for the psu (way underpowered btw - the heated bed probably wont get hooked up until a better psu is obtained).

As mentioned - rethinking the use of the E3D Lite6 on this one, so swapping in the stock j-head is on the agenda as well as attempting to get some of the wiring squared away. Going to be a busy weekend for me, so probably wont get to any of that until monday...

But, yeah, that first sentence about sums it up with this one. But hey, if this thread can save someone else the headache down the road, so much the better. wink

God help the poor high school kid who buys one of these kits as a first printer.!!!!
Tin

haha, Tin - if we had found the reprap thread before buying, we probably would not have bought it (basically our own fault for not doing due diligence in searching... =/ )

The good thing is, it has given me a little bit of experience putting a delta together, so I have a small advantage when the FT kit gets here...

I made the mistake of not asking google before buying this printer. Oops. The reviews on amazon seemed OK...

heartless wrote:

after a thorough search of thingiverse, I may have come up with an effector plate that might work ...

Can you provide a link to the part you used?

Also, the auto-leveling apparatus is very confusing. Has anyone got it working?

i didnt even bother with the auto leveling setup - i dont use it on any of my other printers, saw no need to use it on this thing.

the effector plate I downloaded turned out to not work well with the huge ends they provided.

My suggestion is to go to your local hobby shop (or use an online RC shop if you prefer) and order up a bunch of Revo rod ends - you will need a minimum of a dozen, but I suggest getting a few extras - seems some are sloppier than others.

the Revo rod ends should thread on to the steel rods fine - just make sure you line everything up so that all rods are exactly the same length when fully assembled.

I am also going to be very honest here - I never did finish building this printer. We ordered a Folgertech kit and when it arrived I focused all my attention to getting that one up and running for a demo I was doing at the local mall - I had exactly 1 week to assemble and calibrate it for that show.

I may at some point try to finish putting the Sintron together, but it is not high on my priority list. The Folgertech is larger, and all things considered, a better kit than the Sintron is.

I think I'll do that, thanks!

good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes. smile

21 (edited by zakattacks 2015-12-27 08:47:43)

Okay, I got it all hooked up and running, auto leveling hooked up (but not working due to a firmware issue), and upgraded to traxxas rod ends. Then I realized the extruder was backwards in the firmware. There seems to be no way of fixing it other than editing the firmware itself. Somebody else bought the printer and sintron refuses to send me anything since I have not purchased a printer myself. I am currently lost in editing the delta printer version of marlin off of github. Does anybody have the stock configuration.h?
Oh and the stock power supply is crap. Once I put any kind of current draw on it, it stays at 9v, even if I unplug everything. The heated bed never got to 120c because I canceled it after sitting at 70c for 5 minutes.

yeah, I wondered about the power supply - seemed awfully small...

get one of these instead: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007M … _pC_nS_ttl

will try to PM you the firmware we got with ours.

ok, so no option to add a file in PM (pictures, yes)...so trying here...

this is the actual zipfile we got with our delta... do keep in mind that you will need to make adjustments for your printer's specific measurements.

Post's attachments

Marlin-deltabot for Sintron Kossel mini.zip 2.85 mb, 16 downloads since 2015-12-27 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

24 (edited by zakattacks 2015-12-28 00:34:02)

Thanks so much, it runs now! Now to tackle the auto leveling... It doesn't seem to work with the sintron firmware, I will post a YouTube video of it later.

I had to change the Invert_E setting in marlin to true, and something is wrong with the autolevel. Other than that the stock firmware seems OK.

good work! smile