Re: Repetier for Solidoodle

Kvirre wrote:

My mistake ... I used the wrong profile in slic3r
Problem solved.

This is great to hear!

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

lobosolo wrote:

I get an error when following the first video.

just after upload, it seems to run and then this

Binary sketch size: 49710 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

anyone else run into this ?

I just got this right but holding in the reset button, pressing upload, and then releasing the button when"binary sketch" stuff appears.
Let me know if this helps anyone else

53 (edited by XaroRSA 2012-11-03 17:31:51)

Please help.
I loaded mlaws-solidoodle2-marlin-Marlin_RC3-118-gfc50430 unto the adrinio.
Load repitier and loaded the config file IAN posted.
But when i print, it goes to all the endstops, then waits for about 10 seconds than makes a huge noise and starts to print.
Almost like it sees the endstops as the center position.
i look through my settings everything looks fine!

Nvm firmware issue

OK im really getting pissed with this repitier host.
Slicing takes forever/ never ends.
Was a hell of a mission to get going.
the prints are worse than ponterface/skeinforge.
When using sketchup I need to edit it to bit so that there isnt a single "non-solid" part, otherwise the whole thing doesnt work, as where this works fine with ponterface/skeinforge.
What am i missing????

It's good design practice to design solid parts. With every part I design in Sketchup, I'm constantly checking it to make sure it's still a solid. At first it takes longer, but eventually it means your parts will have a lot more integrity.

Slic3r is a lot less tolerant at dealing with dodgy files. Try running your STL through cloud netfabb to clean them up.

I gave up after a very brief love affair that lasted until I tried to print almost anything off of thingiverse. As mentioned it is virtually compulsory to run everything through netfab, I wish it had feedback on how the slicing was going, wondering if its ever going to finish is annoying.

back to pronterface/skeinnforge for me currently. The inconvenience of 15 seconds of checking its on the bed with replicatorg pales into insignificance but in reality, any dled .stl only heeds this process or netfab once.

Generally the files I download off Thingiverse slice ok with Slic3r. I've never sliced anything with Skeinforge for my Solidoodle and only ever need to use Netfabb < 10 times.

Thanks for an awesome guide. I've got it installed and everything, just one small thing, it doesnt seem as though the layer numbers match up with what is actually printing. Does anyone else have this issue?

slic3r 9.4 was released yesterday. I think the update was meant to fix those issues.
Now you can select how many solid layers on bottom and on top individually.
Download it and give it a try.

http://slic3r.org/

Ian, your blog got me running.

Thanks smile

I think Ian's blog got the majority of us running smile

I really like the Repetier / Slic3r combo from a workflow point of view but Skeinforge still does better slices for most of the stuff I do.  The support that it generates is both more stable and easier to clean off. Especially when there are large areas of support.
Now to only get Skeinforge to work Repetier. smile

Couple things to help keep this thread up to date:

slic3r 0.9.7 is now out.

Ian posted his .1mm slic3r profile over in another thread about hi-res printing.  After being turned off from dialing in slic3r since my skeinforge printed so well, I decided to load up Ian's profile and see how it worked.

It is important to change the filament diameter and extrusion multiplier after loading the profile and that your bed is already been leveled. I just did several of these steps yesterday, so I thought I would add in my notes.

I followed the instruction on the slic3r github for calibration. After you run your calibration test following those instructions, you might get a value below .9 for your extrusion multiplier.  Slic3r recommends using a value between .9 and 1.  If your number is outside of those bounds, it is probably best to adjust your e-steps (how many steps the motor turns in order to extrude a given length of filament) and then run this calibration again.

There are 2 ways that I know to adjust this value.  You can follow Ian's guide on extruded calibration to modify this values in the firmware itself.  This has the added benefit of being dead on and automatically being setup in any slicing program. Or you can adjust this value via the gcode, which is the method that I used for simplicity.

I added this to my start gcode per Ian's suggestion, but added it to my slic3r printer profile so that it is generated every time I slice:
M92 E109

This code (I believe) tells the firmware to have the extruder motor turn 109 steps instead of the printers default value.  The 109 is the value to use if your extruder was feeding ~120mm of filament when you told it feed 100mm.  I knew from a clumsy extruder calibration attempt earlier that was the case with my extruder as well.

When I printed the slic3r calibration stl again, my walls were still to thick but my extruder multiplier was already at .9, so I lowered the 109 to 108 and once again printed the calibration stl.  A few stl prints later and I landed on a setting of M92 E105 and I am finally getting .42mm thick walls, time to print another yoda!

Ian talks more about this in his Setting the Flow Rate post and he has lower multiplier values then .9, I just wanted to obey the tooltip that slic3r was giving me.

IanJohnson wrote:

Also in Slic3r you are missing G92 E0, which is needed to reset the extruder.  As is, it might try to spit the filament out the back when you start, depending on where it thinks the extruder left off.

I think this might answer the question I was just about to ask...

I got a new computer, so rather than just install Pronterface/ReplicatorG, I bit the bullet and upgraded to RepetierHost, and Lawsy's firmware.

I dig RH alot.  It's a much nicer experience, until I hit PRINT and the filament reversed out, and then proceeded to not extrude -  I think it wasn't turning, but I am not sure just yet.

I also tried Pronterface - and that prints fine. I'll be looking for the G92 E0 command...

and reading the rest of this thread.

great work on your upgrade blog,  Ian

GoolGaul wrote:
IanJohnson wrote:

Also in Slic3r you are missing G92 E0, which is needed to reset the extruder.  As is, it might try to spit the filament out the back when you start, depending on where it thinks the extruder left off.

I think this might answer the question I was just about to ask...

I got a new computer, so rather than just install Pronterface/ReplicatorG, I bit the bullet and upgraded to RepetierHost, and Lawsy's firmware.

I dig RH alot.  It's a much nicer experience, until I hit PRINT and the filament reversed out, and then proceeded to not extrude -  I think it wasn't turning, but I am not sure just yet.

I also tried Pronterface - and that prints fine. I'll be looking for the G92 E0 command...

and reading the rest of this thread.

great work on your upgrade blog,  Ian

Repetier does work quite well. Still having issues?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Hey, not sure if anyone noticed, but Solidoodle updated their oficial How To with instructions and profiles to use with Repetier Host:

solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how-to-install-software/

(still can't post links)

Is anyone using Skeinforge to do the Slicing in Repetier? Mine is really SLOW at printing.

Slic3r works fine but has terrible support material, and no raft, however the prints are nice.

But when I use Skeinforge, the print speed is SUPER SLOW. It's probably 5 times slower.

If anyone has found out how to bring it back up to speed I'd be interested.

Thanks

Matt

Check for a tab called Limit.  It might be set to run the first layer at 1 mm/sec.

Is there a way to install Repetier host 85B and keep all of my settings? I cant seem to connect to my printer.

I have been using Skeinforge with Repetier host for about 6 months now.  I am getting good results.  I have never been able to get a good set of prints with the default Slic3r setting from SD.  I do have to paste a few lines of code into the gcode before starting my print, but that is not a big deal.

I have created 4 slicing profiles for skeinforge .1mm w/raft, .1mm w/o raft, .3mm w/raft, .3mm w/o raft.  I also like that it uses pypy(much faster slicer than python).

can you share some of those profiles?  I want to use skienforge for things that slic3r hates, but I can't get it to work at all.

upgraded to the latest version of repetier 1.06. Seem much better than the .85B that solidoodle has on their website. Layout is the same, buttons act a little better in my opinion and some of the options are a bit clearer in their layout and purpose.

I have been using RH 1.06 for a few months.
there were some differences to get used to  mostly start end g codes.
Should probably figure out the auto park g code.
And cura is part of the package now.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura