Re: Repetier for Solidoodle

I am and have had no such problem.

lawsy wrote:

I am and have had no such problem.

That is excellent news!!!  Now to figure out why v0.74 won't work with my SD2 (I have tried 3 computers, all of which give the exact same result.  Everything else works except that one bug, very strange indeed.

28 (edited by lawsy 2012-10-20 11:11:39)

Perhaps post your start g-code?

Also, what do you have set in the Repetier under Config > Printer settings > Printer ?

It was the start code, I was using yours which was fine under 0.72.  What are you using now?   The one I am using now is the simple, but I much preferred yours adding the anchor. (which I discovered if you make it extrude enough it will also make a line into the skirt which speeds up skirt removal.
G21
G91
G28
Does work.

I do remember now, it did the same for me. The newest Repetier has support for three extruders. The [first_layer_temperature] variable ends up having S200,0,0 substituted in which kills the extruder process.

I had to change both instances to directly set the temp without the variable, ie. S200.

Sweet THX!!!

Ian,

In your Repetier Guide on Wordpress, you have a Slicr Config or .ini file...what does one do with this?

Maybe I missed something...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Also, does anyone know which version of Marlin is now shipping...and/or how to check which version is on the printer?

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

34 (edited by Rondavouz 2012-10-24 14:17:22)

the Slic3r .ini file is Ians settings for slic3r. They are a really good starting point, so load them into Slic3r

The marlin build used should be on http://www.solidoodle.com/how-to-2/how- … -firmware/ , The Solidoodle July 31st Marlin Build, 3814bbb

Got it!...Thanks!

BTW, why doesn't Solidoodle just install the latest firmware at their end?

rdavidian28 wrote:

BTW, why doesn't Solidoodle just install the latest firmware at their end?

We install an earlier version of Lawsy's firmware at the factory as of now. That would be the one mirrored on our site.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Got my printer today!  Serial #1057

Mechanicals checked out OK...no damage from shipping.  Bed leveled, etc...all good!  Very impressed with the quality and design of the product.  This is an Innovative design to build a quality printer with very few explicitly tooled components (I love the guide rods with the screw type hose clamps)!

But then I began the installation process.  1st step is the Arduino drivers, which my Win 7 machine could not find.  I followed the instructions exactly; 1.5 hours now and to no avail.  I am currently downloading the environment from the Arduino site, hopefully that will work, but I have to say this:

Is it too much to throw in a CD with all of the necessary installation software and drivers on it?

I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I use Cad systems. I admit I am not a uber techie with computers, but I can get by...but I am also a typical Consumer...if this industry wants to reach the masses, then they have to make the installation process more turnkey.

Only then will these products become more mainstream.

Just had to say my piece!

rdavidian28 wrote:

Got my printer today!  Serial #1057

Mechanicals checked out OK...no damage from shipping.  Bed leveled, etc...all good!  Very impressed with the quality and design of the product.  This is an Innovative design to build a quality printer with very few explicitly tooled components (I love the guide rods with the screw type hose clamps)!

But then I began the installation process.  1st step is the Arduino drivers, which my Win 7 machine could not find.  I followed the instructions exactly; 1.5 hours now and to no avail.  I am currently downloading the environment from the Arduino site, hopefully that will work, but I have to say this:

Is it too much to throw in a CD with all of the necessary installation software and drivers on it?

I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I use Cad systems. I admit I am not a uber techie with computers, but I can get by...but I am also a typical Consumer...if this industry wants to reach the masses, then they have to make the installation process more turnkey.

Only then will these products become more mainstream.

Just had to say my piece!

We link to the site with the .exe file - here it is. http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm download the Windows binary file.

Since you seem quite bright, I am assuming that this failed. What was the error?

That was not the site I ended up at...I think I ended up at the Arduino site and found the drivers there.  After 3 more unsuccessful tries, it finally kicked in and installed the drivers!

Once that was done, I updated with Lawsy's firmware and fired up Repetier (which I configured with Ian's awesome blog)...and it worked!

Got my first print!  Had trouble sticking to the bed because I was impatient and started at 85c...but was very happy with that.  I will try more tonight!

Thanks for your quick response!

Perhaps a web driven install site is the way to go, with all the updated drivers, firmware links, Screen shot type instructions, etc. would be a good goal to pursue...

rdavidian28 wrote:

That was not the site I ended up at...I think I ended up at the Arduino site and found the drivers there.  After 3 more unsuccessful tries, it finally kicked in and installed the drivers!

Once that was done, I updated with Lawsy's firmware and fired up Repetier (which I configured with Ian's awesome blog)...and it worked!

Got my first print!  Had trouble sticking to the bed because I was impatient and started at 85c...but was very happy with that.  I will try more tonight!

Thanks for your quick response!

Perhaps a web driven install site is the way to go, with all the updated drivers, firmware links, Screen shot type instructions, etc. would be a good goal to pursue...

This would explain a lot.

42 (edited by Kvirre 2012-10-26 18:31:14)

Hi I finally successfully installed the FW on a new mircocontroller.
All works fine until I start the print ...

1. Goes to the center of the platform (XY) - OK
2. Locates the Z endstop - OK
3. Goes full speed in reverse Z direction to the bottom crashes!!!???

I see this command ... why????

G1 Z-200 F500

Anyone?

What is your whole start Gcode?  If you are using Repetier 0.74, make sure that Home is at Z Max is not checked.  That was added after I put the guide together, and should be left alone.

When you move the extruder manually, do the +Z buttons make it go up or down?  +Z should go down, and a command to go -200 should move the bed up until it hits the endstop.

44 (edited by Kvirre 2012-10-26 19:26:18)

I am using Repetier 0.74
Home Z Max not checked (please see attached images for settings)
+Z button moves the bed down

The loaded FW was
mlaws-solidoodle2-marlin-f7f57ed

I now found that there is a newer (flashed and ready to try once the bed is heated.
mlaws-solidoodle2-marlin-fc50430

PS.
I now understand that the command I posted should the opposite of what I suggested.

; generated by Slic3r 0.9.3 on 2012-10-26 at 21:05:12

; layer_height = 0.3
; perimeters = 3
; solid_layers = 3
; fill_density = 0.2
; perimeter_speed = 50
; infill_speed = 50
; travel_speed = 130
; scale = 1
; nozzle_diameter = 0.35
; filament_diameter = 1.68
; extrusion_multiplier = 1
; single wall width = 0.37mm

M104 S200 ; set temperature
G21
G91
G1 X200 F3000
G1 Y200 F3000
G1 X-82 Y-76 F3000
G1 Z-200 F500
G1 Z5 F500
M109 S200 ; wait for temperature to be reached
G90 ; use absolute coordinates
G21 ; set units to millimeters
G92 E0
M82 ; use absolute distances for extrusion
G1 F600.000 E-1.00000
G1 Z0.800 F7800.000
G92 E0
G1 X47.178 Y50.779
G1 Z0.300
G1 F600.000 E1.05000
G1 X47.668 Y50.759 F3000.000 E1.07414
G1 X96.658 Y51.019 E3.48584
G1 X97.138 Y51.069 E3.50960
G1 X97.608 Y51.149 E3.53307
G1 X98.068 Y51.279 E3.55660
G1 X98.738 Y51.559 E3.59234
G1 X99.368 Y51.909 E3.62782

Post's attachments

printer_settings.png
printer_settings.png 38 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

45 (edited by Kvirre 2012-10-26 19:43:42)

When connected in Repetier I found this print ... is this correct?
21:27:08.419 : FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Solidoodle EXTRUDER_COUNT:1

Im sure arduino successfully uploaded the FW ('Done')

PS.
Just to try it, I checked the "home is at Z max" and it did not make a difference.
Still does the dive down ....
sad

Kvirre wrote:

When connected in Repetier I found this print ... is this correct?
21:27:08.419 : FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:https://github.com/mlaws/solidoodle2-marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Solidoodle EXTRUDER_COUNT:1

Im sure arduino successfully uploaded the FW ('Done')

Looks right.

47 (edited by Kvirre 2012-10-26 20:14:00)

What version should I use?

Please see my attached screenshot in previous post (For "printer settings" in Repetier 0.74)
There are some other fields that are not included in the youtube clip for how to setup Repetier.
(Could this be what's wrong?)

Please don't get me wrong, I just want my machine to work with Repetier, thats all.
I even bought a new microcontroller to be able to flash it (had a bootloader problem)

So that's why i'm so bummed and eager to get it running .... I have been waiting ....
smile

Also, here i'm adding the Slic3r settings ... (attached)

Post's attachments

Slic3r_Custum_G_Code_printer_settings.png 48.59 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-26 

Slic3r_general_printer_settings.png 49.39 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Do you have anything in the start.gcode section in the gcode editor in Repetier?  The start code you show in Slic3r isn't being used, so I wonder if it is getting susperseded somewhere.  Instead, it's a kind of mix between that and the Solidoodle code.  The 200mm moves to run into the endstops are from the Solidoodle default, but it is missing the G92 command that resets the coordinates.  The code in Slic3r uses G28 which is the home command.  The coordinates get reset automatically when you home.

I think the bed is diving because at the moment the printer thinks that +5 is way down there somewhere, which would be true if it also thought the endstop was somewhere around -200.  There hasn't been any kind of coordinate reset to tell the printer otherwise.  Make sure the start.gcode section in Repetier's gcode editor is blank so it uses the code from Slic3r.  Also in Slic3r you are missing G92 E0, which is needed to reset the extruder.  As is, it might try to spit the filament out the back when you start, depending on where it thinks the extruder left off.

As Ian has mentioned this is the wrong g-code. The bed distances should range from 0 (at the top) to +150 (at the very bottom). The fact that you are asking for -200 for the bed stands out immediately.

Kvirre wrote:

Hi I finally successfully installed the FW on a new mircocontroller.
All works fine until I start the print ...

1. Goes to the center of the platform (XY) - OK
2. Locates the Z endstop - OK
3. Goes full speed in reverse Z direction to the bottom crashes!!!???

I see this command ... why????

G1 Z-200 F500

Anyone?

My mistake ... I used the wrong profile in slic3r
Problem solved.