Topic: The Formaker

What do you guys think of this project?

http://www.3ders.org//images2015/zhuhai-take-impressive-our-in-one-cnc-mill-1.jpg

It’s obviously a very busy time over at the headquarters of Zhuhai CTC Electronic. As you might know, this is one of the most prominent 3D printer manufacturers in China (with distributors throughout the west). Over the past few months, they have already announced a number of 3D printers (including this Riverside Photocuring 3D printer and this Giant 3D printer), but they are already back for more. CTC Electronic has just launched a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter for a very impressive and remarkably affordable all-in-one desktop manufacturing machine called the Formaker, that operates as a CNC mill, a laser cutter, a PCB etcher and a double-headed 3D printer.

http://www.3ders.org//articles/20150812 … arter.html

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66 … escription

Re: The Formaker

What do you guys think of this project?

I saw that on one of  3ders site.

My first thought is it really seems weird an established Chinese 3d printer company would  launch a new product on kickstarter. Are they hurting for money or just doing what they others doing . Saving a buck by using the customers money ? do not know what to make of it.

CTC is not really what I would cal a premiere brand. Flashforge  has a much better reputation. But must admit the price point of the CTC vs flashforge is very appealing.

My opinion of multi use  multiple duty machines is not high.

CTC makes a decent 3d printer  and very value priced so this machine is a 3d printer.

As a mill I expect the milling head to put out mouse power and the cutter diameter to be limited to 1/8 diameter.  the materials limited to plastic wood and foam. Z height of milling  will be  limited to 3/4 of an inch  that is about the limit of stick out on a 1/8 carbide cutter.  IMHO more of an engraver than a mill so ok for engraving . In fairness more of mini  or micro router /engraver.

Lazer will be limited to engraving and cutting paper. Real lasers use mirrors to direct the beam due to the length of a laser with any real power  30 40 watts for a hobby laser. that will cut 1/4 in wood. A $500 hobby laser has a 8 x 12 bed . so small bed very limited power.

The down side of 3 in one machines of any type. 1 increased set up time you have to convert the machine for each use.
and if you have  3 machines you can run all 3 at one if you want . And if a 3 in 1 breaks you have no machine working idf you have separate machines and 1 is down you can still use the other 2. And possibly make parts to fix the broken 1 .

SO if this machine is say $1500 i would say not worth it since one can buy a 3d printer , cnc tabletop router and laser cutter engraver for$500-$600 each depending on exact model and where you buy it from . And you have 3 separate single purpose machines that run independently.

The only real advantage to a 3 in 1 machine is it save bench /desk space. 

The other problem is dust and smoke unless there is a system in place to remove the dust and smoke from the machine you will have maintenance problems, impaired quality  in the 3d prints due to dust residue and possible health issues.

Laser normally come with exhaust fan and duct. and a router will need housekeeping dust collectors added.

tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Re: The Formaker

Tin Falcon wrote:

The down side of 3 in one machines of any type. 1 increased set up time you have to convert the machine for each use.
and if you have  3 machines you can run all 3 at one if you want . And if a 3 in 1 breaks you have no machine working idf you have separate machines and 1 is down you can still use the other 2. And possibly make parts to fix the broken 1 .

Agree 100%, I actually have all three machines (40W laser, 3040 CNC and SD2), and yes they do take up desk space, but if one breaks, i'm only down one machine.  Also I can run all 3 machines at the same time, unlike this 3-1.
Another thing is that to get a 3-1 you have to make sacrifices on all 3 to get them work together.  In this case, it looks like that big sacrifice is the work area size.

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D