Re: Upgrading your Airwolf HDx /HD2x hotend to E3D v6 + Volcano

Bah!  I got the bare thermocouples and the cartridge heater.  Could I make it work?  Probably.  I've got thermal materials lying around.  I probably won't though.

I would suggest using the cartridge designed for that style block. I don't think you'll get a reliable reading with the bare style.

They're only $15, and it could save you quite a bit of headache down the road. https://www.filastruder.com/products/e3 … 1171575940

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

If the bare thermocouples are unused and are genuine E3D products, you can exchange them at Filastruder for cartridge thermistors, even if you didn't buy them from Filastruder.

I'm almost all wired up.  The lack of good technical data sheets has slowed progress.  All of my logical guesses turned out to be right, but I don't like to guess, so I had to do a lot more circuit analysis than I would with things I design myself.  One thing I need to know before I fully hook up, is the voltage requirements for the fan.  Since I don't have technical data sheets for the fans that came with the Eruption kit, I don't know for certain that they will tolerate 13.5 V.  It sounds like they will, but I don't like to guess.  Replacing them would be a pain.

I have had no issues with the included eruption fan(s), and I believe I purchased them about two years ago, which means they have run over 17,000 consecutive hours.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Any idea what they’re wattage is?  Am I going to draw too much power if I double tap them?

They're fine at 13.5v, though that's an odd voltage for a printer.

The fan's current draw is printed on the fan. They draw 0.10a each if memory serves, I'm sure two in parallel would be fine.

elmoret wrote:

They're fine at 13.5v, though that's an odd voltage for a printer.

My Airwolf runs at 13.5 volts also - I wonder if that's their way of squeezing a little more power out of the heater.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

I've got it wired up.  I think I have the code adjusted correctly, but I can't get it to compile.  I did have to install the LiquidTWI2 library, but that was an easy fix.  I'm stuck on an error message though.

Arduino: 1.6.13 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.32-beta2, Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch/SdFile.h:27:0,
                 from sketch/cardreader.h:8,
                 from sketch/Marlin_main.cpp:44:
SdBaseFile.h:38: error: using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'
struct fpos_t {
        ^
In file included from sketch/Marlin.h:10:0,
                 from sketch/Marlin_main.cpp:30:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/hardware/tools/avr/avr/include/stdio.h:950:33: note: 'fpos_t' has a previous declaration here
__extension__ typedef long long fpos_t;
                                 ^
exit status 1
using typedef-name 'fpos_t' after 'struct'

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

http://soliforum.com/i/?x5DZ3fD.png

Any ideas on what is wrong here?

Googled that error message, first link:

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?146,691608

recently ran into that same error message trying to compile Marlin for and SD2...
somehow I had ended up with a newer version of Arduino... uninstalled it, and installed the older version I used to use (v1.6.2) and everything was fine.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

That’s one solution I’ve seen.  It’s apparently from an older Marlin version.  The other solution I’ve seen is to find and replace all fpos_t with fatpos_t.  It’s because the stdio.h package in the newer studio version already declares that variable. (It’s literally all written there in the error message, but I don’t trust my coding skills to go ahead and modify stuff like that.)

Installing a different Arduino version concerns me because I have no idea what else that will muck up.  I’ll do that if this doesn’t work.

Cardamom_King wrote:

Installing a different Arduino version concerns me because I have no idea what else that will muck up.  I’ll do that if this doesn’t work.

I would personally recommend starting here, especially since multiple people have suggested this to be the issue. Installing a new version of Arduino will not change the marlin files.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

If it were the newer version of Arduino I needed, I’d do it in a heartbeat, but it’s actually the newer version that has the variable fpos_t defined in stdio.h.  The problem is the old Marlin version.  If I install the older version of Arduino, I don’t have a guarantee that other projects that may rely on the newer Arduino will not be affected.  They probably won’t, but updating Marlin makes more sense.

updating to a newer version of Marlin opens a whole different can of worms... you would have to go through and make sure everything is configured properly for your machine.. much more time consuming, and often frustrating.

swapping the arduino version only takes a few minutes.. and if you need the newer version for a different project later, then reinstall it.. how often do you plan to make changes to & flash the printer?

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

I didn't update to a newer version of Marlin.  I simply renamed the variable to remove the conflict.  It shouldn't functionally change anything, and it did compile. That said, it clearly did not work.  So obviously I need to try something else.  I'll downgrade my Arduino version to see what happens. 

I don't think this is a wiring issue, because I can reinstall the firmware hexfile that came with the printer using Cura.  I wonder though, if that is the way I should install this.  Should I export the binary file and install with Cura?  I noticed that when I do that, I get two hex files, one with the bootloader and one without.  Since messing with the bootloader is above my pay grade, I need to get some advice on which file I should try.

Downgrading to the old 1.0.6 Arduino did not solve my issue. 

So at this point:

1. With Arduino 1.6.13, Marlin wouldn't compile due to the duplicate fpos_t definition in stdio.h

2. renaming fpos_t to fatpos_t allowed it to compile.

3. Installing on the printer from the Arduino program seems to lock the printer up.  (LED lights are on, LCD does not work, no control from the computer)

4. Installing the hex file provided with the printer through CURA brings it back to the original configuration. (VIKI 2.0 works, I have motion control)

5. Installing Arduino 1.0.6 (from the link) allowed the original fpos_t variable to compile without alteration.

6. Installing on the printer did the same as 3.

Any guesses as to what to do now?

Just to check, I installed, without modification, the firmware I downloaded from this page.  It behaves precisely as the edited versions I made from it.  The upload appears to go accordingly.  No display on VIKI 2.  No control with the computer.  Upload old hex file with Cura, everything is back in place, but not useful with my new hardware.

Either the firmware on here is faulty, or I am installing it incorrectly.  I am able to get it back to the original firmware by installing the hex file provided on the thumb drive with the computer using Cura.  My thumb drive does not appear to have an editable copy of the firmware, unless it is hidden somewhere where I can't find it.

Cardamom_King wrote:

Either the firmware on here is faulty, or I am installing it incorrectly.

Just checked my Airwolf - I can confirm that the Viki is in fact working and I have full and normal control of the printer using this firmware.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Alright, it's probably just a case of unexplained Gremlins, but I upgraded Arduino IDE all the way to 1.8.5, did Find/Replace on "fpos_t", and compiled it.  After uploading, it works.

That is a relief.  I did not know what my next step would be.

Now I will edit this firmware for my new hardware, and see where this goes.

Dammit!  It only looked like it was working because VIKI never turns off while it is uploading.  I saw the old screen and assumed it was functioning.  It is just locked up.

I'm stuck.

Josh, does your Airwolf have VIKI 2.0, or just VIKI?  It looks as though that was at one time an option.  I wonder if there might be a configuration difference between our machines.

As I see it now, it’s probably a configuration difference of some kind between models.  I’m sick of not having a 3D printer, so in the short term, I should be able to replace the thermocouples with the Honeywell thermistors listed in the firmware I downloaded.  Hopefully the calibration isn’t too different.  The distance between extruders can be calibrated in Simplify 3D.

Long term, I will not be happy with this.  I’ll have to try and configure Marlin from scratch.  Assuming Airwolf didn’t modify the board itself, this should be doable.

50 (edited by satgod 2017-12-17 16:05:28)

I have put this off for almost 2 years now.  the second hotend setup they sent me (just before my warranty was up) finally gave completely up so I printed my Chimera mount I designed for the hd2x (no spacers or other parts needed) full 1 part print and your good to go.
Anyway,
i'm using 1.8.5 arduino
I did do the find and replace for the fpos_t to fatpos_t
now I get a ton of errors on the LiquidTWI2 file and it errors on on compiling
attached is a sample of some of the errors

my Vicki is just a Vicki LCD or that is what it says

Any help would be appreciatedhttp://soliforum.com/i/?qM2ccoM.jpg