1 (edited by Brutalsnowman 2015-08-08 18:10:31)

Topic: Access to the port 'COM3' is denied

I updated my Repetier Host from V1.0.6 to V1.5.4 and when I tried to connect my Solidoodle 4 to the new version I received the error

"The connection failed with the following error: Access to the port 'COM3' is denied.. Make sure your printer is connected, enable and connection data is set correct. Open printer settings?"

I confirmed my printer does show up in device manager "Teensy USB Serial (COM3)"
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Solidoodle Driver.
I confirmed the bit's per second matched up (Repeiter was set to 115200 so I matched the device manager to that, but I also tried several others.)
I reverted back to Repeiter Host V1.0.6 and receive the same error.

I have rebooted 5+ times during all of this and tried several combinations of disconnecting the solidoodle and opening repetier.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Setup:
Solidoodle4
Windows 8
Repetier Host V1.0.6 and V1.5.4

Post's attachments

2015-08-08_1155.png
2015-08-08_1155.png 158.93 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-08-08 

2015-08-08_1156.png
2015-08-08_1156.png 4.12 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-08-08 

2015-08-08_1156_001.png
2015-08-08_1156_001.png 13.5 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-08-08 

2015-08-08_1156_002.png
2015-08-08_1156_002.png 24.15 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Access to the port 'COM3' is denied

I just did the same and it didn't connect at first either.  It seemed to take a minute to connect then it worked out.  Leave it sitting and then come back in a minute and try to reconnect.  YRMV.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

I just did the same and it didn't connect at first either.  It seemed to take a minute to connect then it worked out.  Leave it sitting and then come back in a minute and try to reconnect.  YRMV.

You were 100% right. I kept trying and it just started working again. I'm still using 1.0.6 so I will have to try to upgrade again I'll try to figure out what is going on and why it's happening. but for now I'm back up and printing smile

Thanks for the reply!

I always get this issue when I turn my printer off without disconnecting from RH or when I restart my computer with the printer off and then turn it on. When I turn the printer on before starting the computer or restart with the printer on, RH picks it up. I just chalked it up to the program being picky.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

had this issue a couple times now. manually assign a new com port in device manager and power cycle the printer.

last time this happened the board was on the way out, so hopefully it doesn't happen again. I'll report back if it does.

its because RH dont look for free port each statup, only com3 or 5. and if you install a new device while 3D printer is off then Win plug & play sees those 1st ports as free and asigns them to new device then they cany be used by RH or any Virtual 3D printer. I had to asign a port way up above 12-24 so it dont continue happening with each new device as plug & play starts low and moves up til a free port is found. another idea would be only install new devices while 3D printer is powered up and conected in RH so its seen as a busy port. Solidoodle techs nor my 2 IT Sons could figure this out, but I kept trying things til I learned the problem and how to fix it. this is posted on this site elsewhere also over a year or so ago. I never have the issue anymore and still got the old problematic SD board (knock on wood build base hehe).

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Just wanted to add in the way I solved this issue for people. For me, it was due to having another program open that was already using that COM port. Basically, I had Cura open in the background while trying to connect with Repetier Host. Once I closed Cura, Repetier Host connected easily.

and this is why it is recommended to manually change the COM port to something higher. by doing so, it cant be stolen.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1