Topic: Anyone having any luck printing with PETG?

I've been trying to print with eSUN PETG:

Specifications from eSUN
Extrusion Temperature Range: 235℃ to 255℃
Plate temperature: 80~90℃ or without heated
Printing speed: 30~60mm/s
Moving speed: 30~60mm/s

I've tried from 220-260 and after the first layer or 2, the filament always jams in the nozzle.  It extrudes fine if you just load it and press 'extrude', but there is something with the retraction or pauses in normal printing that is causing the filament end to swell up.  And then the horrible clicking sound as your feeder struggles to push it through.   I'm using an all metal hot end, nozzle size .4mm.  1.75mm filament.

I have no problem with ABS except the normal warping unless great care is taken.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Plastic Scribbler 2100

2 (edited by EagleSeven 2015-07-30 21:22:39)

Re: Anyone having any luck printing with PETG?

Have you checked to see if nozzle is Actually getting to, and staying at, Indicated Temp ?
with another good temp meter

I've not used petg , but I am Curious how well it works ??
It seems the High temp required could be a problem, with some printers ?

CTC Printer
Modifications Added

The temp looks stable on the proterface gui. I can extrude 100mm or more at a time with no jamming if I'm just extruding and not printing.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

4 (edited by EagleSeven 2015-07-30 21:49:01)

We have a digital-thermometer, with thermocouple probe, permanently attached
to the primary nozzle now, and have been seeing average temp difference of about 5 C.
(difference between printer-indicated and the meter)
Which I think is good and normal.

But once we had a problem with t-couple connection at block
and would have been nice to have this temp monitor Then

CTC Printer
Modifications Added

EagleSeven wrote:

I think if you are setup to print ABS  you shouldn't have a problem with the heat required for PETG.  I haven't gotten past the first few layers so I'm not sure how well it works.  What I so far is that it has a nice finish and it looks like the print would turn out well if I could keep the filament extruding during a normal print.

I'm not sure why a manual extrusion works, but a print fails, but I am no expert either.  Perhaps the filament is spending too much time in the nozzle and is expanding or something.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

stevea3342 wrote:
EagleSeven wrote:

I think if you are setup to print ABS  you shouldn't have a problem with the heat required for PETG.  I haven't gotten past the first few layers so I'm not sure how well it works.  What I so far is that it has a nice finish and it looks like the print would turn out well if I could keep the filament extruding during a normal print.

I'm not sure why a manual extrusion works, but a print fails, but I am no expert either.  Perhaps the filament is spending too much time in the nozzle and is expanding or something.

Is PETG the same as PET+? I bought some some PET+ at Microcenter. The packaging claims it has all the benefits and ease of use of PLA but the strength of ABS. It also says to print on Blue tape, not heated bed at 240 to 260 on the extruder.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I don't know if it is the same thing.  How is it working for you?  I was thinking of trying PET+ if I don't get anywhere with the PETG but don't want to spend $35 if it's the same thing.

Plastic Scribbler 2100

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-07-31 00:06:51)

stevea3342 wrote:

I don't know if it is the same thing.  How is it working for you?  I was thinking of trying PET+ if I don't get anywhere with the PETG but don't want to spend $35 if it's the same thing.

When my Delta was working I used it for PET+ and it worked well. The sides had a nice finish and the top layer was very smooth. It did look and act like PLA while printing. At that time I was not running a heated bed on the Delta so it worked great with blue tape.

MadeSolid’s PET+ is an engineering grade filament. It is a strong and flexible material derived from a different strain than the few existing PET filaments on the market. PET+ is stronger than many ABS filaments and has the high print success rate of PLA. It is ideal for functional objects that need to combine toughness with flexibility, such as phone cases, wearables, robotics, and mechanical parts. Some of PET+ properties include:

Engineering quality
    Flexible strength
    100% recyclable
    Glossy surface finish
    High transparency (Clear Only)
    Easy adhesion (No heated bed required. Sticks to blue painters tape)
    Hydrophobic: Doesn’t absorb water like nylon does
    Good chemical resistance
    High qualify spooling and extrusion. Consistent diameter and no bubbles
    More flame resistant than PLA and ABS

I decided to try the MadeSolid Pet+ since the eSun Petg would not extrude.  I'm having no problem printing with the MadeSolid  Pet+ at a variety of temperatures (still looking for the sweet spot).  There's no warping in my test prints, put it seems to like  the glue stick better than hair spray.  So for me at least, there is a big difference between PetG and Pet+.  Unfortunately the Pet+ is costs almost 3x more than the abs I was using and a bit more than twice as much as the PetG.    But it works at least.

The 'fuzz' or strings that appear on myPet+  prints, is that too much heat, not enough?  Or maybe not enough retraction?  Any ideas?  Thanks

Plastic Scribbler 2100

I get fuzz if temps are too low for the speed I am running. So you can raise the temp or lower the speed which ever you prefer.

Hi,
I like printing with PETG now. No warping and nice finish. I am using a modified xyz Da Vinci. I put a Pico head in and a Push - Pull fan system to keep the print head barrel cool. That is the key when printing any other filament besides ABS. You need  to keep the filament from heating up and swelling before it gets to the tip. I print from 250 - 220.http://soliforum.com/i/?jeE3AZU.jpg

I am printing PETG fine at 245C, 85C bed, 3000 mm/min (50 mm/sec).

Robox printer, HICTOP (Prusa i3 variant) Model 3DP17 printer, ELEK 2.5W laser engraver, AutoDesk 123D Design, Windows 10