Re: stepper motors will only move in one direction?

hansen644 wrote:

OK. but yes it goes the the far right.   not sure how to make the endstop settings correct

So right now using RH both the X and Y axis move to the back and right when sent home. To my understanding from what you describe of your machine so far. This is exactly opposite from the lime switches. Correct? Your limit switches are on the left for the X and left back for the Y.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Correct.  Y endstop works correct.   just x and z are opposite

Oops I mean your limit switches right now are X is back rear, and Y is rear sinc your bed is actually the Y. So when a home command is sent from RH your machine moves X to the right and Y to the front?

One thing to make sure you understand is that gcode was written for CNC and that it assumes all commands are in regards to the tool head. Not the bed, or anything else. So for your style of printer an X move right should move the head right, an X move left should move the head left. How ever what gets tricky is your Y. A Y move forward should actually move the bed back and a Y move backward should actually move the bed forward. As far as logic is concerned the bed is stationary just like it would be on a CNC machine. The only thing that can move is the head.

hansen644 wrote:

Correct.  Y endstop works correct.   just x and z are opposite

Ok gotcha, so right now Y has no issue and the endstop functions as it should. The only issue now is X moves in the wrong direction during homing and the Z just has issues period?

All the movements are correct in RH  just endstops are working opposite.  x keeps going right unless I manually hit the endstop. and z endstop also opposite.

31 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-06-11 02:31:53)

hansen644 wrote:

All the movements are correct in RH  just endstops are working opposite.  x keeps going right unless I manually hit the endstop. and z endstop also opposite.

Change the following:

//// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR -1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

To this:

//// ENDSTOP SETTINGS:
// Sets direction of endstops when homing; 1=MAX, -1=MIN
#define X_HOME_DIR 1
#define Y_HOME_DIR -1
#define Z_HOME_DIR -1

Se if that makes a difference?

I apologize, I know this is getting on your nerves and my questions probably do not help. I am just trying to get a visual of how the machine moves right now and how the endstops are arranged.

Just one more quick test, move all axis to the middle except Z we will ignore Z right now. Now home X and then Home Y and tell me which way they move. Do they move towards or away from the endstops. I ask because in your firmware XYZ home are set to -1 which should be minimum. But if they are moving away from the stops then your motor directions are reversed and need to be inverted. Those three settings you asked about originally need to be swapped. Then in RH under machine settings there is an option to swap the controls so you get the expected movement.

32 (edited by hansen644 2015-06-11 02:30:24)

ok let me try real quick

nope did not change anything.

I apologize, I know this is getting on your nerves and my questions probably do not help. I am just trying to get a visual of how the machine moves right now and how the endstops are arranged.

Just one more quick test, move all axis to the middle except Z we will ignore Z right now. Now home X and then Home Y and tell me which way they move. Do they move towards or away from the endstops. I ask because in your firmware XYZ home are set to -1 which should be minimum. But if they are moving away from the stops then your motor directions are reversed and need to be inverted. Those three settings you asked about originally need to be swapped. Then in RH under machine settings there is an option to swap the controls so you get the expected movement.

here are some picture of the endstops.  x moves to the right when I hit home and y moves to the rear toward the endstop. Y is good no problems there now. so just x and z are the problems now. http://soliforum.com/i/?XvJHM4j.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?1VLOHZ2.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?zs14U54.jpg

Well got to get to bed now. I will check back tomorrow. thanks for your help so far.

Good news I made the change in RH to invert it and all is good now!  yeah!!
On to next problem. 
One of my Z motors will freeze when running both z motors at the same time. So I disconnect both motors and they both work fine when running just one at a time. But when I run both of them the motor locks up and after I unplug it the motor is very hard to turn by hand untill I give it a minute to rest and then its all good again. Not sure whats up with that?

Ok, then we might be getting somewhere. Go through the config.h and make sure the settings throughout the endstop section for X are the same as Y since Y works. The movement for a home command should be the same for both as the motors should turn in the same direction. If the X still moves away from the switch  on home then change the following:

// Inverting axis direction
#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

To this:

// Inverting axis direction
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true

Just ignore what direction they move in relation to RH right now. All we want to do now is to get the logic to move in the expected direction when a HOME command is issued for each or all axis. There is a setting in RH to change the button behavior we will deal with later.

39 (edited by hansen644 2015-06-11 12:11:52)

Sorry I did not specify when I said I got it working.  all axis endstops work now.  Just the z binding motor problem is still there

hansen644 wrote:

One of my Z motors will freeze when running both z motors at the same time. So I disconnect both motors and they both work fine when running just one at a time. But when I run both of them the motor locks up and after I unplug it the motor is very hard to turn by hand untill I give it a minute to rest and then its all good again. Not sure whats up with that?

Are you unplugging the motors at the motor or at the Ramps?  If a motor is unplugged and difficult to turn, usually that means that a coil pair (2 of the wires for a common coil) is shorted.  Double-check all of the wiring harnesses.

Also, are the two Z-motors connected to the Ramps board individually or wired together in one plug connector?

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Hi I am unplugging at the ramps board. they turn fine and run fine if both are not plugged in the board at the same time.
How should the motors be wired and plugged? I am new to building printers so I dont know thanks.  The motors each have their own plug that is plugged in the ramps board

42 (edited by IronMan 2015-06-11 19:22:29)

hansen644 wrote:

Hi I am unplugging at the ramps board. they turn fine and run fine if both are not plugged in the board at the same time.
How should the motors be wired and plugged? I am new to building printers so I dont know thanks.  The motors each have their own plug that is plugged in the ramps board

I remember when I set up my twin Z motors for the first time I had awful performance when I plugged them in to the 2 separate pin sets on the board...I ended up wiring both motors to one plug and pin set and it worked wonders.  I think I had to adjust the vref up a bit, but they've been smooth ever since.

I followed the wiring diagram at the following site...just scroll down a bit:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Prusa_i3_Rework_ … and_wiring

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

I think i might do that.  What does vref mean?

The vref refers to the adjustment trimpot on the stepper chip.  You can adjust it using a multimeter or or just by "feel and sound".  Once you are plugged in and powered up, command the Z axis to move by about 50mm and then adjust the vref so both motors are running smoothly without whining.  See this link:

http://reprap.org/wiki/Pololu_stepper_driver_board

If you can, use a non-metallic(ceramic) screwdriver...if you don't have one, a standard jeweler's screwdriver will do, but you need to be VERY CAREFUL to let the screwdriver tip touch nothing else but the trimpot dial or you will fry the stepper chip.

hooking the wiring on the motors together with one plug did the trick.  Thank you very very much.
what should I do next to set up the printer? everything seems to move correctly now.

Now it is a matter of leveling the bed,  printing some test prints, and toying with your settings until you are happy with them!

47 (edited by hansen644 2015-06-12 00:58:25)

Well bed and extruder not heating up now?  they show 23 degrees in Rh but they stay there?  never mind it was in dry run mode

How do you home z axis?  I hit home but it goes till it hit the endstop at the glass bed. Is that correct?

hansen644 wrote:

How do you home z axis?  I hit home but it goes till it hit the endstop at the glass bed. Is that correct?

Home is the endstop. You have to adjust the position of the switch so the nozzle just almost touches the bed when the endstop gets triggered. Then you use the levelers on the bed to dial all four corners and middle in so you can just feel a piece of paper slightly drag between the bed and nozzle.

If the switch cannot be adjusted then you have to use a positive or negative value in the RH EEPROM manager under Z offset.

50 (edited by hansen644 2015-06-12 01:46:18)

Ok that is what I was thinking.  thank you very much. 
How do I use the SD card function on my LCD.  I would like to be able the printer with it not hooked to my computer.
I have a brand new SD card never used it yet