Topic: Precision Hydrographic Printing on 3D printed object

want one...:D

Re: Precision Hydrographic Printing on 3D printed object

very cool.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

That is awesome!

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

I really should look into this a lot more.  Customers ask for painted finishes more often than I'd like, and I can't paint at all ha.

Bowden SD3, Rumba, E3D hotend, Mk5 with RtRyder changes, Direct drive Y axis and bearings, GT2 pulleys and braided fishing line, Lawsy linear bearing conversion, M3 Z screw.

I've always been fascinated with the brain power behind today's developments in technology. Computers were far simpler and less capable in the 70s and 80s when compared to today, so the abilities of the programmers were not quite so heavily tasked. Considering the massive amounts of data collected during a 3d model scan, or the massive amounts of calculations performed when printing a 3d object, one also has to consider that a human being was behind the software. Certainly many human beings for the more powerful software packages. This development appears to have originated from college students, young strong minds who were able to create the necessary code and assemble the necessary hardware to produce these results.

I continue to be amazed.

FSL3D Pegasus Touch (not yet used, out for updating/upgrading)
Kudos3D (still in box/kit form, for sale)

6 (edited by Claghorn 2015-05-14 18:35:14)

So, the obvious next step here is software to "reverse flatten" the image you'd like on the 3D object so when it gets dipped into the flat paint layer, the bits of paint wind up where you want them on the finished 3D object :-). (Or maybe they have that already and I just didn't watch enough video).

The only weakness I can see is that the model cannot have surfaces perfectly aligned. For example, if the rabbit was looking straight ahead so that its ears were in line with each other, then would it be possible to print the back of the ears? It can easily be worked around (if I'm right, which may not be the case), but some models just wouldn't work properly. As I say, I may have it wrong though.

Doesn't change the fact that this is incredibly cool and I want one.

Yes, and there will be some overlap when printing both sides of an object. Has to be or there would be gaps.

SD2 Expert stock, ABS fume fan,
XYZ DaVinci 1.0 stock ABS, Simplify3D
QUBD Two-Up PLA, new 3D printed X gantry, Y idler, flex z coupler, extruder mount, E3D Lite

9 (edited by jagowilson 2015-05-15 14:32:41)

Claghorn wrote:

So, the obvious next step here is software to "reverse flatten" the image you'd like on the 3D object so when it gets dipped into the flat paint layer, the bits of paint wind up where you want them on the finished 3D object :-). (Or maybe they have that already and I just didn't watch enough video).

That was actually their main contribution! Their algorithm maps the distortion of the print surface based on how the surface will behave with immersion of the 3D object. The actual hydro dipping process they demonstrate is not new.

wonder if they will start a kickstarter for this

This technique has been used by Nail techs for a number of years called water marbling.  Very simple procedure anyone can do.  Many vids on youtube

S2 , E3d hotend,glass bed, stock otherwise,vista

12 (edited by ysb 2015-06-04 15:05:09)

tx-rogue wrote:

This technique has been used by Nail techs for a number of years called water marbling.  Very simple procedure anyone can do.  Many vids on youtube

the focus is not the paint method ..

it's on this

jagowilson wrote:

..Their algorithm maps the distortion of the print surface based on how the surface will behave with immersion of the 3D object. ....

Looks like at least one copany trying to get one to the consumer market

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20150810- … ology.html

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I am still learning 3d printing but this is cool

looks like what mesh mixer calls morphing. I dont see lots of practical uses for it myself

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs