Re: Kit for Calibrating X and Y with a Dial Gauge

Pronterface doesn't output everything to it's log. You can still see the hysteresis output on the status line at the bottom of the Pronterface window, or you can see it in the windows console which displays the unfiltered output. Pronterface also displays the same information again just below the Check Temp button, although the status line is slightly easier to read at the bottom of the window in my opinion.

Okay, so the hysteresis is fixed when I use repetier to manually move around the head. However, when I print the pulley, I still get a problem with the North West tooth. If I rotate the pulley 90 degrees, it's still the North West tooth (so I can't blame the stl)

So it could be that...

1) The problem isn't being caused by hysteresis, or there's an additional problem
2) Hysteresis values change according to what speed the head moves at, so there isn't one size fits all
3) The hysteresis fix needs to be performed separately from the desired movement

Have you tried moving the pulley to a different position on the bed?  Maybe there is something about a particular section of belt, pulley or rod rotation, etc.

Yes I've printed a few of these at different positions. Also, I've printed one using slic3r and that prints fine, although it's a different shape, larger than what skeinforge produces, but symmetrical. Actually slic3r fails to slice a hole correctly in a different part of the model, but that could be drilled out.

The output of skeinforge looks symmetrical in the gcode preview window. I suppose the difference between skeinforge and slic3r could be the quantity of gcode commands. Fewer or more gcode commands could produce different results perhaps.

BTW, this is what I'm printing to get the deformed teeth in skeinforge...

Post's attachments

pulleyOC.stl 50.38 kb, 75 downloads since 2012-09-11 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

31 (edited by patmail4 2012-10-15 14:15:09)

Very interesting post.
Could you please explain little more on how to modify hysteresis.
How to get M99  and M92 command ?
What firmware are you using?

I m also having y backlash .
I changed my step y to 90 and got better result on small 20mm box print.
But still present with bigger / complex prints
Only Y is concerned, X is OK.

Here is the thread with the firmware changes for adding those commands - http://www.soliforum.com/topic/92/slic3r/

33 (edited by Rondavouz 2012-10-15 21:06:55)

Jinja: Just printed your Extruder connector and it fits perfect!
I did run in to some big problems trying to slice the .stl in Slic3r.
It looked terrible. By importing the stl to tinkercad, and export it to a .stl from there I got a .stl that sliced perfect in Slic3r.

And printed perfect, thanks for the design

I bought this indicator instead of the round 'dial' type.  It's half price and has the same tolerance as the one from earlier in the thread.
amazon. com/AccuRemote-Electronic-Digital-INDICATOR-INCH-METRIC-FRACTIONS/dp/B0071SKHAW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1350754244&sr=8-7&keywords=digital+dial+indicator  (link not allowed, I'm probably too new. Take out the extra space after 'amazon.')

However, it wouldn't fit in the dial gauge hole piece that Ian designed, so here's a 'sled' that fits on the back of the gauge.

it prints as 2 pieces, the sled and the 10mm square to fit in the gauge slide Ian designed.  A little acetone/abs glue work for making it one piece.

Next is making the same sled work on the extruder plate to check my glass bed is level.

B

Post's attachments

Depth Gauge plate5.stl 37.44 kb, 32 downloads since 2012-10-20 

photo-17.JPG
photo-17.JPG 102.1 kb, 2 downloads since 2012-10-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Guys:
If we offered these in the store, would any of you be interested in buying them (dial gauges)?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

I would

SD2 - Glass Bed, Fans on PCB and Y motor, Custom enclosure
Slicer - Simplify3D

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Guys:
If we offered these in the store, would any of you be interested in buying them (dial gauges)?

Depends on the price, quick search online and you can get dial indicators for $50-$60.  I picked up an obsolete one from my work that I have to refurb a little to get it to mount, but should work okay.

cmetzel wrote:
solidoodlesupport wrote:

Guys:

Depends on the price, quick search online and you can get dial indicators for $50-$60.  I picked up an obsolete one from my work that I have to refurb a little to get it to mount, but should work okay.

We shall make it happen. Perhaps an advanced tool kit?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

solidoodlesupport wrote:

Guys:

what price can you offer them for?

I got mine from ebay for £1... is it really worth you creating a stock of items new, that people can probably get else where for very cheap?

I bought one for under $20 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130778325754?ss … 1439.l2649

It does not have the same mount as the one that Ian used, but we know how to fix that!

cmetzel wrote:

you can get dial indicators for $50-$60.

If I were to calibrate my X and Y, where in firmware would I change the values to make the changes permanent?

Jinja: I tried to print your three axis extruder connector, and I get a solid block w/ a u-shaped hole in it. Slic3r is complaining that the file has errors, and MiniMagics says that it has errors, two shells.

I tried downloading SCAD, and your .scad file, but compiling it and exporting it results in a .STL with three shells.

Any pointers to what I might be doing wrong?

(The goal is to level out my SD2, of course.)

Upload it to cloud.netfabb.com   It's been awhile since I printed it, but I think that worked for me.  I got the same result in Slic3r the first time.

Hmm... netfabb.com seems to be down. (Or at least I can't reach it.)

Did find a "solution", though. Exported it as .csg, and then edited the file. Turns out there were a whole bunch of matrix entries along the lines of "1.66723e-016". Call me slipshod, but I figured that had to be close enough to zero, so I made them all zero. Now I have but one shell, and I'm printing it...

(Still trying to dial in the Repetier 0.3mm settings. Where's the right forum/thread for those questions?)