Topic: bit of trouble

i have been happily printing with a reasonable skeinfogre profile which until now has been creating nice prints. but this has happened and i dont know how to solve it.

Post's attachments

photo.JPG
photo.JPG 1.84 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: bit of trouble

adamp wrote:

i have been happily printing with a reasonable skeinfogre profile which until now has been creating nice prints. but this has happened and i dont know how to solve it.

Can you describe what the problem is? I'm assuming it is the quality of your outside perimeter...

SD2 with E3D, SD Press, Form 1+
Filastruder
NYLON (taulman): http://www.soliforum.com/topic/466/nylon/

yes the outside perimeter is really bad, i have it set for 3 perimeters in skeinforge which has been giving me good results until now

Has it developed any wiggle in the X carriage?  Can you rock it forward and back with your hand?

5 (edited by adamp 2013-01-20 23:15:00)

no doesn't seem to have any wobble hmm

ive put some grease on all of the rods and that has improved the quality to about 90%

adamp wrote:

ive put some grease on all of the rods and that has improved the quality to about 90%

Is there a brand name for the grease SD uses?    They sure must be keeping that company happy!

Any white lithium grease should work.

ok so i have tried a few more prints and the problem has gotten worse now. It seems that the poor perimeter quality is concentrated on the left side of my prints. This is driving me mad as Ive just finished my prototypes and cant print anything that looks good. I have taken a few photos, hopefully you guys with more experience will know whats causing this.

Post's attachments

photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG 1.48 mb, 4 downloads since 2013-01-24 

photo2.JPG 1.65 mb, 4 downloads since 2013-01-24 

photo3.JPG
photo3.JPG 1.58 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-24 

photo6.JPG 1.48 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-24 

It looks like you are over extruding, have you calibrated the extruder lately and the filament size?

Yea id say over extrusion aswell.  Go through the calibrations on the wiki and see what happens.

ok I will go through the calibration process again tonight and post back the results. thanks

adamp wrote:

ok I will go through the calibration process again tonight and post back the results. thanks

Results?

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

well i have gone through the calibration process and I am having this problem now sad
I haven't had much time to test on other models to see if this is consistent or not.
I have also noticed that I have posted this in the wrong place If an admin wishes to move it that's fine.

Post's attachments

photo(2).JPG 1.85 mb, 5 downloads since 2013-01-28 

photo(3).JPG
photo(3).JPG 2.16 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-28 

photo(4).JPG
photo(4).JPG 2.05 mb, 3 downloads since 2013-01-28 

adamp wrote:

well i have gone through the calibration process and I am having this problem now sad
I haven't had much time to test on other models to see if this is consistent or not.
I have also noticed that I have posted this in the wrong place If an admin wishes to move it that's fine.

I don't have my printer yet but by looking at those photos it looks like your y axis (forward/back) one is drifting.  Maybe you didn't tighten a set screw or belt not aligned.

I had a similar problem with mine. I found the belts needed tightened. That solved the issue.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

This can also be caused by binding on the guide rods, either because they are bent, or because the bearings are too tight.  Also, the belts can be too tight: tightening is not always the best approach.  Try to move the carriage around by hand with the power off and see if it feels uniformly easy to move, or whether there are places where the carriage sticks.

Everything is working again!!! smile turned out that the left belt had rattled loose, I have tightened the belts so they are the same and all seems well. Seems as I haven't touched anything (maintenance wise) since I received my printer last September ish and its been printing at least a few hour everyday since then, I am not surprised it has rattled a few parts loose. Thanks for your help people. Back to printing again smile

I spoke too soon, still having this problem, I have checked everything that I can think of, I have tightened the belts, loosened the belts, calibrated bed level and extruder. I though it was my wiring bundle hitting the left belt so I sorted that issue but im still having the problem of my parts stretching horizontally (the same as last images) its driving me mad!

20 (edited by Irish 2013-01-29 22:01:26)

I had a similar problem also but it was that the controller board was overheating. You are doing a very long print and I'd bet the controller board is really getting hot. try placing a small fan blowing on it and see if that helps. I had a little 3" personal portable fan I used and it solved this problem.

Here's a photo of what my unit was printing before I cooled the Controller Board on the back of the printer. Looks familar doesn't it?

http://www.rustystumps.com/solidoodlephotos/BadPart0.jpg

Check out the printable wire guide on http://wiki.solidoodle.com/modifications as well. You definitely don't want those wires to mash on the belt.

adamp wrote:

I spoke too soon, still having this problem, I have checked everything that I can think of, I have tightened the belts, loosened the belts, calibrated bed level and extruder. I though it was my wiring bundle hitting the left belt so I sorted that issue but im still having the problem of my parts stretching horizontally (the same as last images) its driving me mad!

I think, after tightening, the belt left and right sides can be fixed asymmetrically relative to each other, and now during movement the print module is jammed.

adding a fan to the back pointing at the circuit board seems to be doing the trick, i did notice that since I built the acrylic case for my solidoodle the metal frame got very hot so maybe that heat was getting to the circuit board... printed a few long duration parts now without a problem, maybe I will print a proper fan mount for the back for a long term fix as I have just done what Irish said and place a fan on my desk pointing at it. Seems odd that heat to the circuit board could cause such problems.

adamp wrote:

adding a fan to the back pointing at the circuit board seems to be doing the trick, i did notice that since I built the acrylic case for my solidoodle the metal frame got very hot so maybe that heat was getting to the circuit board... printed a few long duration parts now without a problem, maybe I will print a proper fan mount for the back for a long term fix as I have just done what Irish said and place a fan on my desk pointing at it. Seems odd that heat to the circuit board could cause such problems.

Very nice! We're glad you're up and running.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

25 (edited by Irish 2013-01-31 22:47:22)

adamp wrote:

This is typical of memory chips when they get overheated they tend to get erratic. My SD2 would print great on some items and on others where there was more work I'd get what you saw. It just hit me that maybe the circuit board was too hot and so that proved to be the case. Glad you were able to solve the problem.

SOLIDOODLE should take NOTE of this and add a fan to future units! [grin]