Topic: Filament not sticking

Hello i got my solidoodle press about two days ago.  I got one almost successful print and now nothing with stick to the glass bed.  i have tried rubbing acetone on the glass and raising the temperature on the bed.  Is there anything else i can do to fix this?

Re: Filament not sticking

Temp 100 C all the time and LOT (and I mean ALOT) of hairspray ! Tomoro I will try with gluestick I and will tell you if its better.

Fat kids are harder to kidnap!

I've gone through hairspray, blue painters tape, green powder coat tape and kapton tape. NOTHING sticks like kapton above 100degC. Using the other material I was able to peel off from a hot bed, but kapton will not let go until room temp is achieved.

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

This is kapton tape ? And if yes, is it reusable ?

http://www.banggood.com/200mm-x-100ft-H … 11890.html

madfalcon81 wrote:

That's the stuff. On re-usability, the adhesive backing is like any other high-temp tape, usually good for one usage once you've heated it a few times.

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

Ok, thanks I think I will try that, but only after I fix the bed. By the way my glass broke, so I need to buy another one.

madfalcon81 wrote:

Ok, thanks I think I will try that, but only after I fix the bed. By the way my glass broke, so I need to buy another one.

Sorry to hear that man. Grab some glass (desired thickness of course) and a "glass scoring tool". Be sure to sand down the edges with wet-fine sand paper.

Solidoodle Press
SolidWorks 2014

madfalcon81 wrote:

I have yet to wear out a piece of kapton tape. I've lost track of how many prints that is - eventually someone tears it with the spatula (turns out the spatula had some burs on it, since fixed). Watch youtube videos on how to apply without bubbles or cussing.

I've been using Elmer's washable glue sticks, and it's been great. I do 2-3 layers, cross-hatched.

Frustration is part of the process.

trayracing wrote:

I have yet to wear out a piece of kapton tape. I've lost track of how many prints that is - eventually someone tears it with the spatula (turns out the spatula had some burs on it, since fixed). Watch youtube videos on how to apply without bubbles or cussing.

Replaced my now tattered Kapton tape with a new sheet and adhesion was iffy at best. Acetone, IPA, and glue stick didn't help matters. Finally scrubbed the Kapton with Bon Ami, rinsed well followed by an IPA wipe, and all is well again printing on naked Kapton.

For those not familiar with it, Bon Ami is a grit sold as a sink cleaner in the USA. Not so popular any more, as it badly scratches anything you use it on, being mostly ground limestone (calcium carbonate) and ground feldspar. I'm guessing the gazillions of tiny scratches made the difference.

("IPA wipe" being a flood and drain with an isopropyl alcohol soaked cotton ball, not an evening with a six-pack.)