Topic: SD PRESS REVIEW

Just saw this   http://www.tomsguide.com/us/solidoodle- … -2681.html

SD3, E3D hotend,linear bearing on x/y axis',pillow block bearing on y conneting rod, ball bearngs on front y axis, fan on y stepper motor.

Re: SD PRESS REVIEW

Article sounds accurate, "most prints failed to adhere."

I dont agree with that article. I am noob on 3d printing, I am not an engineer, but I still manage to obtain 3 resonable printing so far. (not perfect, just resonable). At 400 USD, this is a fair price. (even 600 looks ok)

Fat kids are harder to kidnap!

If the prints still failed to adhere after using hairspray, masking tape, etc., then the reviewer is doing something wrong. I only had a bit of curling without any adhesion additions, and no issues once I used plenty of hairspray (a little bit wasn't enough).

The Press isn't perfect but it deserves more effort based on the price. But reviewers, like many others, love to report on a good failure.

5 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-18 16:28:13)

pshcims wrote:

If the prints still failed to adhere after using hairspray, masking tape, etc., then the reviewer is doing something wrong. I only had a bit of curling without any adhesion additions, and no issues once I used plenty of hairspray (a little bit wasn't enough).

The Press isn't perfect but it deserves more effort based on the price. But reviewers, like many others, love to report on a good failure.

they mentioned the bed would not heat past 76C or so, so yeah, i can see prints not adhering. They've reviewed other printers and given them much higher scores--I think the idea was to see if SD support could give them advice that got prints to consistently adhere, and they failed to do so. Of course they know how to make prints stick.

jagowilson wrote:
pshcims wrote:

they mentioned the bed would not heat past 76C or so, so yeah, i can see prints not adhering. They've reviewed other printers and given them much higher scores--I think the idea was to see if SD support could give them advice that got prints to consistently adhere, and they failed to do so. Of course they know how to make prints stick.

Did the test unit also have a defective test bed that wouldn't heat? I find that hard to believe since there's only a handful of people on this forum reporting the issue. Other issues are more common.

Even still, ample hairspray should allow for adhesion even on a cold or warm bed. Some of the photos of the review show barely any adhesion applied at all, and only hairspray instead of other methods to make it adhere.

7 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-18 17:25:30)

Now that I read it more carefully they claim to have measured the temperature themselves. Assuming incompetence they used an IR thermometer, so who knows what the actual deal was. They're the only ones I know of who claims the glass slides easily, too.

This is arm chair quarterbacking. We will not exactly know what the issues where. Or the skill level of the reviewer. At anyrate-
I can see why the controller would report '95C' and externally would read lower. The thermistor is below and attached to the silicon pad directly. When I removed mine. There was an air pocket on the upper (closes to the door) where the pad was not touching the aluminum plate at all. Just an air gap. My theory is that the pad may not have been in direct contact with the build plate and since the thermistor is directly attached to the pad vs the actual printing plate that can explain the discrepancy between the two (definitely a QC issue). As for the loose glass. That's a new one. Alot of folks (well the folks that posted here) had issues removing it. In my case it was snug. It slid out with mild force. If it was really that loose, Then a 1mm washer shim would has fix that.

Now I understand where they are coming from. They wanted to test the printer straight up and use SD support only (The said they used tips from here, well we are assuming here- And a lot of the reported issues have been solved. (Once again, We don't the skill level of the person reporting.)

At the end of the day. The Press is not turnkey. The filament it ships with is crap. And support is dropping the ball due to points A and B and over run with support issues.

Is the Press a capable machine? Yeah. If you are ready to take out your tool box, modded it and fix all the QC/Design issues. Is it worth the 600? Nope. Was it worth the pre-order price of 399 and below. Yup.

It's weird, I want them to like succeed but. But on the other hand they do things like installing the FET for the PWM fan in the wrong orientation.  Weird as design que's that make it hard to service. Proprietary spool holder for crap filament. Extruder fan that only has about 35% of the fan blowing on the 'heatsink' on the extruder which is not doing it's job correctly. Not releasing the gerber/eagle files for the controller Etc..

*Shrug*

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

I have to say that it's a pretty fair review.  I'm not sure about the sliding bed, but I can see how that would happen since the QC of this product is pretty much non-existent. 
The review, I think, is evaluating it from what appears to be the target market; new to 3D printing that just want a device that just works out of the box, with no modifications, as advertised.  This is certainly not the printer I received, and I wonder what percentage of users received a printer that just works without fixing the manufacture issues.
Basically, it seems that this product has totally missed the user testing phase that most companies have in place before shipping a product.  It's more like they have looked at their previous printers, come up with an idea for this printer and done the design and shipped the design off for manufacture.  It's like everyone who's purchased this are they user testing cycle.
It will be interesting to see if users from the next batch that appear to be moving out now have as many issues as those who got the first batch or if they've fixed some manufacture issues.

jagowilson wrote:

... They're the only ones I know of who claims the glass slides easily, too.

I've seen at least one report here in Soliforum of someone tracing their layer shifting to the glass sliding around. I believe that person's temporary fix was to loosen the rear screws a bit.

As a "ready to go" printer, the Press is currently a fail. And, two months into owning it, the bed won't get hot enough to print ABS, and PLA still jams in the extruder, so I'd say that half star is well earned.

Yeah, I could go the modder route and maybe kludge it together something that works, but again, that doesn't give the Press a better rating or excuse SD from delivering what they sold, or the meager, sluggish support. If you look at it as a base for modding, it gets half a start there too - too little space, solidity or flexibility to easily mod. Kudos to MacGyverX & co for cramming stuff in there, but it seems like an odd starting point for someone into modding.

I had a little experience with 3D printers (older Cube) before getting the PRESS for Christmas, and was hoping to not have to do much work with this one, just load files, filament and go.  I started by removing the cord tube and rigging up an elastic support to keep the wires from jamming behind the carriage.  Had to remove and tighten the gear that pushes the filament.  Removed the motherboard and adjusted the trimpots with a multimeter.  Added screws under the bed.  Designed and printed a wedge to keep the lid partially open to prevent overheating.  Monkeyed with the temp settings and extrusion multiplier.  And now Im trying to figure out how to stop my prints from catastrophically shifting in the x-axis (in any print that is more than 1cm high).  It looks like the teeth that lock in the belt on the left side have come loose (the grip is broken) and this is going to be  a very tough fix for me. 

I like tinkering and building (I made a full Ironman suit for Halloween, and intend to add some working parts for next year, and make tons of stuff with my kids)  BUT I though this would give me some time to work on those kinds of actual projects, and not have to spend all my time messing around with this machine.  Disappointing and frustrating to say the least. 

I will be eventually getting another 3D printer, and you can be absolutely certain it will not be from Solidoodle.

pbryan22 wrote:

I will be eventually getting another 3D printer, and you can be absolutely certain it will not be from Solidoodle.

+1

As an owner of the Solidoodle Press:  This review was bang on.

A lot of thought was put into the packaging of this product...but zero in the actual
performance.  The reality is...if you open the base plate to expose the internal wiring,
it's a jumbled mess. 

My observation:

The primary and still major marketing point of this machine is to "Plug and Print".  It absolutely
cannot do this, and to sell it to people who don't have the skill/knowledge/patience: It's a NO-NO!

Solidoodle's success was selling to hobbyists and early adopters.  The original SD machines made no bones
about it:  It was a low cost, accessible machine that could be fixed/adjusted.

The SD Press was SD's attempt at cashing in on the mainstream.

- This product should not have shipped.  It needed at least another 4-6 months of engineering
to fix some of the most serious/basic issues (Printing it completely closed is a recipe for disaster,
the cables/everything gets tangled/bunched)

- It's obvious the pressure of first time dealing with a Chinese manufacturer really botched
this whole product. I just feel there was a lot of poor communication/mistakes made.  Cervantes
alluded to this in his blogs.

- I think Solidoodle should simply have stayed the course by manufacturing machines in Brooklyn
and sticking with the hobbyist market.  They simply are not 'big' enough to go mainstream.

Summary:  With each growing problem for what was supposed to be a "Plug and Print" machine, I say this:
SAM CERVANTES,  MASS RECALL THIS MACHINE NOW.

pbryan22 wrote:

The Solidoodle 2 machine is a great machine.  Has it's quirks, but I had a lot of success with it.

Don't discount the entire company because of a botched new product.  The SD PRESS
is their first attempt at foreign manufacturing.  Just get one that's made in Brooklyn.

This review is spot on, as far as what solidoodle promised, and what they delivered.

I'm "relatively" happy with my press (at $399) because now I have a 3d printer.  That level of happiness is also because of this awesome forum... the help I've received here has made a massive difference.

If I had it to do over, I'd probably buy a $370 reprap kit instead.  It might not work much better, but it would be a whole lot more customizable and fixable.

I also agree with the statement posted above.... I'll definitely buy (or build) another printer at some point, and it won't be a solidoodle.

jagowilson wrote:

Now that I read it more carefully they claim to have measured the temperature themselves. Assuming incompetence they used an IR thermometer, so who knows what the actual deal was. They're the only ones I know of who claims the glass slides easily, too.

Nope. My glass was sliding around too. I had to print a couple of plastic shims to stop it moving.

I would have to agree completely with the review. I am fully aware of the realities of consumer FDM printing and the tinkering required. However i am also aware of buying an a product based on the advertised features and communication from the company.

"Press available for preorder "- very likely a lie seeing as they had not got to the final design iteration or beta user testing ( conculded from knowledge of product development cycles

"Delays due to increased QC " - well that falsehood is self evident

"Suitable for ABS , PLA printing " - no fan mounting for PLA layer cooling and diffrent temperatures is soliprint which would result in large % of users getting confused .

"Plug and play device" - non functioning software, non existent QC resulting in multiple hardware issues. I have had the printer since late jan and have not had a single print due to DOA printer and still waiting for the replacement stepper cable.

I have had it with solidoodle. If the cable still does not work i am going to demand a full refund. At first they said they would send a shipping invoice for me to return the printer.

then 2 days later " after reviewing the issue we have decided it would be too much hassle to send the invoice could you please pay for the shipping on your end you will be credit the shipping on return. ( like i have 200 USD to just drop at any given time on a questionable company)

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

If they do not refund me i invite other people who have been wrecked by this company to join be and we will take SD to court.

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

"Plug and play device" - non functioning software, non existent QC resulting in multiple hardware issues. I have had the printer since late jan and have not had a single print due to DOA printer and still waiting for the replacement stepper cable.

They sent me a replacement cable but no instructions of any kind. Do I look like a surgeon?I was not on the assembly line.

Have only done 1 +1/2 prints so far.

celboy wrote:

They sent me a replacement cable but no instructions of any kind. Do I look like a surgeon?I was not on the assembly line.

Have only done 1 +1/2 prints so far.

Can you make a new topic and take pictures of the cable you received? Summarize anything you've tried so far. If you do this, someone from this forum will likely help you.

Despite being advertised as plug and play, the Press really does require a bit of manual work to optimize it and make it work properly. The good news is that its design allows for this - no proprietary connectors or other issues.