Topic: Geeetech products warning...

Im sure most already know, and there may be other topics about this subject already.

A friend recently decided to get into 3D printing and despite my advice bought a Rostock Mini from Geeetech...

Long horror story short,

Smooth rods pitted and grooved, bad traces on ALL boards, Poor quality plastic parts (id say 0% infill) Missing Steppers, A power supply that explodes when turned on, and a horrible customer support experience trying to get a refund. In the end he managed to get 75% of his money as a refund and donated the rest to me to see if i could salvage for parts. (most if it i could with a good bit of solder cleanup and re-do, so i re-reimbursed him the rest of his money)
So avoid Geeetech at all costs! Heres some lovely attached pictures of the power supplys loose and horrid solder job...

Post's attachments

DSCN0636.jpg 1.07 mb, 1 downloads since 2015-03-12 

DSCN0639.jpg
DSCN0639.jpg 930.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

DSCN0640.jpg
DSCN0640.jpg 999.1 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-03-12 

DSCN0642.jpg
DSCN0642.jpg 920.78 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

DSCN0643.jpg
DSCN0643.jpg 1.11 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Geeetech products warning...

Be aware that Geeetech is just a seller. They buy the parts a like the power supply elsewhere and just throw all the parts together as a kit. They make none of the parts themselves except maybe the printed parts. I am not defending them, but be fair atleast on the power supply and put the blame on the manufacturers and not the seller.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

Be aware that Geeetech is just a seller. They buy the parts a like the power supply elsewhere and just throw all the parts together as a kit. They make none of the parts themselves except maybe the printed parts. I am not defending them, but be fair atleast on the power supply and put the blame on the manufacturers and not the seller.

While Geetech may be just a "seller" of the parts/kits - but, if they are selling inferior quality parts, have poor customer service, and wont stand behind what they are selling - they are not a business I would wish to deal with.

Geetech made the choices of what parts/manufacturers to use in putting together thier "kits" - so imho, they are just as much to blame as the manufacturers of those parts.

SD4 with Lawsy carriages, Rumba board, & new 12v PSU, E3D v6, mirror bed plate, X motor fan.
Stock SD4
Prusa i3 kit, spring loaded extruder upgrade, Y axis belt tensioner

I recently purchased the Me Creator, the Solidoodle 2 clone one, and while I had some issues with it, I found their customer service acceptable.  Review of the printer is coming but all in all I'm happy with my purchase.

I purchased a Geeetech Prusa I3 about 2 month ago, and so far, I have not found something abnormal with my printer. It works well and I am enjoying it.  0% infill? That's impossible. Why not send a  feedback about your issues to their customer service?

6 (edited by digitydogs 2015-03-17 08:20:41)

If you read the original post he did contact customer support. They repeatedly called him a liar, said that there is no possible way there were any issues with their parts that they quality inspect every part before sending it...
0% infill is very much possible. Its called being cheap to save plastic. Alot of people do it and its sad. 40% infill is the min acceptable for printer parts.
Long story short again an ebay claim had to be filed to get them to take any responsibility. As soon as ebay was going to step in they admitted they never checked any of the parts for the kit, just loaded them up and sent them off... Some may get decent kits without issue from them, however this was just relaying my friends very recent issues with them. My personal opinion is if the rods, bearings, power supply, ramps and mega board all had quality issues, and they forgot parts, this is not a company i would ever recommend doing business with. Inferior suppliers can release working products but they tend to fault out alot sooner and more often than quality/ I have a feeling those happy with kits from them will end up spending alot more on maintenance and repair in the future than they ever imagined or planned and a year or so from now will be regretting the purchase.

I personally bought a Prusa I3 Mendel kit from Geeetech almost a year ago, as my first printer. I can testify to the poor quality of their products.

When the RAMBO board that came with the printer had a problem, Geeetech refused to replace for free, and required that I pay 50% for a replacement.

There were other problems, like I got an Austrailian power cord, the instructions for the printer were incomplete (and Engrish), and their variant on the printed parts was different from every other I3 variant, meaning there was a lot of educated guessing required to assemble the printer.

As for the printed parts, most of them seemed to be .2mm layer height and probably 25-30% infill. Even with the printed parts working, Geeetech refused to give me the STL files so I could print better ones.

What made you decide to buy a kit from Geeetech? I heard some good thing about Folger Tech, there 3D Printer is cheap as well (price is probably similar to Geeetech).

I had a friend recommend them to me. Suffice it to say, I'm not listening to him for advice anymore.

I got a geeetech (silly amount of e's in the name by the way) the MeCreator model. Bought it from a reseller in Spain. Is very much a kit printer like a rep rap or Prusa kit but with the shape of a solidoodle. Meaning everything can be replaced and there are parts for it in the market. Had some issues with it, but I'm guessing the same ones I would have had with any Prusa. For the price, I thought it was quite good.
Customer service, only dealt with my reseller which was good.

I have bought a couple small packages from their website and had no problems. The RAMPS I got from them didn't work right, but that might have been because I hooked the wrong power supply off my bench to it and it took a few more volts than it should have.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

i've been hearign alot of bad stuff about them

13 (edited by FelixP 2015-05-01 22:47:52)

dreamingdigital wrote:

I got a geeetech (silly amount of e's in the name by the way) the MeCreator model.

That's because GE tech and Geetech already exist. Geeetech loves to mispell their name in several places to look like they are these companies. The reseller definitely doesn't work for Geeetech, or if he does, you won't discover their terrible return policies until it's too late.

TheBaron, The RAMPS doesn't work right because their build quality is terrible.

I see the post from 2014. It's now June 2015 and Geeetech still ships inferior products.  I got their Prusa I3 Pro C and many of the acrylic parts are very brittle and are very hard to replace. I've contacted them but they are very slow to respond and haven't resolved the problems. I like the GT2560 board and the motors and printed parts seem to be of a good quality. However, without a frame you can't do much. If you purchase the acrylic model from them be very careful with the acrylic parts. Sometimes snugging the bolts is to much for them, hand tighten as much as possible.

15 (edited by wenganxiang 2015-06-06 04:30:37)

Theoratically, the acrylic plates should be broken so easily,  how unfortunate are you! I've used prusa i3 for almost 5 months, it still works perfect now.
Now that you say GT2560 is good, I want to buy one too.

After my experiences thus far with FolgerTech (overall, a much better company than geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetech), I can only imagine how terrible it would be to deal with them on a larger scale. Glad I didn't get a printer from them.

SD3 w/ RUMBA (8825s), merlin hot end (in pieces). Ender3 w/ silent board for PLA printing. Ender5 w/ silent board, e3d v6, new z lead screw, and glass bed. DiY Kossel w/ smoothieboard (in pieces). Vellman Vertex (in pieces)
Shapeoko2 router in process of being converted to laser engraver (in pieces)
Multicam 5000 series CNC Router w/ 11HP spindle, 5x10' table, and auto tool changer (in pieces)

I too have had a horrible experience with GeeeTech. Smooth rods BENT on Y axis. Threaded rods on Z lift BENT, You can clearly see a wobble. They refuse to replace either one.

They sent me a BAD PSU unit, which inturned melted the gt2560 board, and they say it was a setup error. NO. They also think I had a bad hot bed which I believe I did. I used to beable to hit 110 c for the hot bed but I cant even get past 70. I bought a new mk3 aluminum bed and still cant get past that. They have sent me 2 more gt2560 boards which non of them worked. I couldn't get any axis to move correctly if at all. Finally I have had to use my ramps 1.5 board and have actually gotten somewhere.But that all spiraled down hill too.

I have been dealing with GEeeTech for 2 months now. 400$ printer is now sitting at 750$. They wont help me. John their designed of the gt2560 board claims hes "too busy", they have a "us based" tech support but wants you to pay him for him to help you, he says hes not part of geeetech, yet he says hes us based tech support. Makes no sense. I wish I never bought from this company. I have filed a claim with paypal, they want me to pay 150$ to freight it back to China. WRONG, its come to me defective., and every piece they sent me is either broken physically due to poor packaging, or it doesn't work at all, or finally it wasn't included in the package. For the last month I still am waiting on the 4 pin power wire (94v-0 molex) wire to go froim PSU to GT2560 board. I finally ordered the connectors from Allied Electronics and made my own. Still not working. I printed 1 object that came out PERFECT, but have yet to replicate that. I have not changed slicer settings, nor anything else. I even tried a 24v psu and changed the hotbed and the extruder heater. Still no better.

Now im having an issue in Repatier if I KILL the job, it will home, however if I let the job finish it stays on the finished area and melts into the object and bonds its self to it. It wont home. I have it set to go to x0 y200 upon completion but it wont do that. Again if I hit kill it does.

Their sales actually ignores me when I have tried to ask questions, then she refers me to John who I get 1 reply a week if im lucky. Otherwise its 1 time a month if at all. Then they passed me to Rita, the person who wrote the assembly manual (Not an assembly issue).

Their acrylic panels were cut wrong and not with square edges, so when assynbled they cracked when tightening list a little over finger tight. Again Smooth rods bent, z threaded rods bent. They ask me to buy the rods locally. I shouldn't have to buy them when they included it in the printer and they were bent! Their smooth rods are a soft alloy junk that when you gap the bed you can clearly see the bed rods flex. You can also roll the rods and see the bed move up and down. This is not correct.

When received, the extruders were assembled incorrectly. They had the throats too far from the feed gear and the roller. They also had the head blocks turned the wrong way so it melted the X carriage and the extruder bracket. They sent the printed parts that were horrible quality. Extruder bracket was warped and splitting severely. The X carriage was warped BADLY. X motor had broken z limit switch threaded tab.

All in all this is a pile of junk.
Things I have had to buy because they wont replace.
Nozzles (even though they clogged due to their software was incorrect and not feeding the extruders, they acknowledged the error and sent new firmware and asked me to buy nozzles)
PSU I have bought new 12V psu, and 24V psu. neither fix the problem.
Hot bed they have sent me a replacement hot bed that was warped, was told it should straighten out when heat cycled. Well it doesn't even work. it was doa. so I bought an mk3.
more filament. messup after messup had to buy more filament they said they cant ship new filament out to replace it. even though I never got 1 object to print due to their garbage.
More throats due to lack of feeding it melted ptfe. so I had to buy throats and ptfe.
New LCD screen because their sd card slot was broken. wouldn't replace thatl.
Y axis belt because they have it drilled incorrectly it rubs severely and rubbed through the belt 2 x now. They wont replace the belt asked me to buy it from one of their 17 stores.
Heaters yes they burned up and failed so I had to buy more 12v heaters and 24v heaters.

I cant get this thing to print 1 usable part, if it even prints at all. Im now having issues where it disconnects while printing. The computer usb will make the sound like I unplugged it while pringing. I have changed usb cables many times. Has happened with both 12v and 24v psu.

Will someone please help me? Geeetech wont support their own product.

agilliam wrote:

I too have had a horrible experience with GeeeTech. Smooth rods BENT on Y axis. Threaded rods on Z lift BENT, You can clearly see a wobble. They refuse to replace either one.

They sent me a BAD PSU unit, which inturned melted the gt2560 board, and they say it was a setup error. NO. They also think I had a bad hot bed which I believe I did. I used to beable to hit 110 c for the hot bed but I cant even get past 70. I bought a new mk3 aluminum bed and still cant get past that. They have sent me 2 more gt2560 boards which non of them worked. I couldn't get any axis to move correctly if at all. Finally I have had to use my ramps 1.5 board and have actually gotten somewhere.But that all spiraled down hill too.

I have been dealing with GEeeTech for 2 months now. 400$ printer is now sitting at 750$. They wont help me. John their designed of the gt2560 board claims hes "too busy", they have a "us based" tech support but wants you to pay him for him to help you, he says hes not part of geeetech, yet he says hes us based tech support. Makes no sense. I wish I never bought from this company. I have filed a claim with paypal, they want me to pay 150$ to freight it back to China. WRONG, its come to me defective., and every piece they sent me is either broken physically due to poor packaging, or it doesn't work at all, or finally it wasn't included in the package. For the last month I still am waiting on the 4 pin power wire (94v-0 molex) wire to go froim PSU to GT2560 board. I finally ordered the connectors from Allied Electronics and made my own. Still not working. I printed 1 object that came out PERFECT, but have yet to replicate that. I have not changed slicer settings, nor anything else. I even tried a 24v psu and changed the hotbed and the extruder heater. Still no better.

Now im having an issue in Repatier if I KILL the job, it will home, however if I let the job finish it stays on the finished area and melts into the object and bonds its self to it. It wont home. I have it set to go to x0 y200 upon completion but it wont do that. Again if I hit kill it does.

Their sales actually ignores me when I have tried to ask questions, then she refers me to John who I get 1 reply a week if im lucky. Otherwise its 1 time a month if at all. Then they passed me to Rita, the person who wrote the assembly manual (Not an assembly issue).

Their acrylic panels were cut wrong and not with square edges, so when assynbled they cracked when tightening list a little over finger tight. Again Smooth rods bent, z threaded rods bent. They ask me to buy the rods locally. I shouldn't have to buy them when they included it in the printer and they were bent! Their smooth rods are a soft alloy junk that when you gap the bed you can clearly see the bed rods flex. You can also roll the rods and see the bed move up and down. This is not correct.

When received, the extruders were assembled incorrectly. They had the throats too far from the feed gear and the roller. They also had the head blocks turned the wrong way so it melted the X carriage and the extruder bracket. They sent the printed parts that were horrible quality. Extruder bracket was warped and splitting severely. The X carriage was warped BADLY. X motor had broken z limit switch threaded tab.

All in all this is a pile of junk.
Things I have had to buy because they wont replace.
Nozzles (even though they clogged due to their software was incorrect and not feeding the extruders, they acknowledged the error and sent new firmware and asked me to buy nozzles)
PSU I have bought new 12V psu, and 24V psu. neither fix the problem.
Hot bed they have sent me a replacement hot bed that was warped, was told it should straighten out when heat cycled. Well it doesn't even work. it was doa. so I bought an mk3.
more filament. messup after messup had to buy more filament they said they cant ship new filament out to replace it. even though I never got 1 object to print due to their garbage.
More throats due to lack of feeding it melted ptfe. so I had to buy throats and ptfe.
New LCD screen because their sd card slot was broken. wouldn't replace thatl.
Y axis belt because they have it drilled incorrectly it rubs severely and rubbed through the belt 2 x now. They wont replace the belt asked me to buy it from one of their 17 stores.
Heaters yes they burned up and failed so I had to buy more 12v heaters and 24v heaters.

I cant get this thing to print 1 usable part, if it even prints at all. Im now having issues where it disconnects while printing. The computer usb will make the sound like I unplugged it while pringing. I have changed usb cables many times. Has happened with both 12v and 24v psu.

Will someone please help me? Geeetech wont support their own product.

Ok lets start with the most glaring thing in my eyes on the wall of text. That would be the power supplies. You bought a 12 volt and 24 volt, what are the current/wattage ratings on those? It sounds to me that your power supply was under rated from the beginning so if you bought comparable supplies then you where just digging a hole.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Carlm_1976,
Thanks for your fast reply. I though that at the time I ordered them. When the heat bed turned on as well as extruder the fans would slow. So immediately with electrical background I knew the wattage was incorrect. They claim they sent a 350 watt psu 12v. I ordered a 12v 450 and a 24 400. Highest I could find for 24v.

Stupid auto correct. My appologies. And I apologize for the long initial post. Was trying to include everything.

And the statement about them not making everything isn't correct. I contacted John Zhao, the created of the GT2560, and he stated they make everything there, from PSU, steppers, PCB, printed parts, even cutting the acrylic. The only thing they may outsource are the linear bearings and smooth rods.

I have received 2 psu from them both defective upon receiving.  First one put out 8v right out of the box. Turned up the pot and would only hit 11.1v. Second worked for 10 minutes then heard a pop. pulled it apart and due to poor soldering the voltage regulator became disconnected. It appears it was a cold solder join and very poor from the get go. It had been arcing the whole time to make it work. Also the led wouldn't work you touch it and it would turn on. So I had to solder a new led in and resolder the voltage regulator. They then claimed it was out of their control and not their fault. When they shipped broken parts to me they claimed it happened in shipment. One had a foot print on it and was broken with the piece stuck in the wrap with it. Knowingly sent a broken piece with it. Some of the boxes were poorly packaged.

They sent me 4 packages all were missing same pieces, and had broken pieces in it. Then complained about how many they sent me via dhl. Wanted me to pay them back for shipping too. Their sales called me a liar and other names too. Told me that "I was on my own" and then blocked me. Then after I left negative feedback another person contacted me bribing me to revise my feedback "if you fix feedback we give you 25$ compensation and we wont block you, and continue to help you". So I reverse 1 feedback, they immediately blocked me and never gave me 25$ either. Reported them to both paypal and ebay. Then they have the nerve to leave reply's to my negative feedback that I shouldn't lie its not nice, etc etc.

This company is very very poor. Their sales do not now anything about these printers. Their tech support is non existent. They have a forum but never use it, they claim they don't like it. Their sales also told me that their "college" doesn't have a duty to help anyone with their printers. Then whey do they refer everyone to him? And they don't pay him! ?Him and I have become friends and he has helped me quite a bit, but still have no working printer. I'm tempted to buy a Robo3d.

Just a quick suggestion. If you need a better larger power supply, try re-purposing a PC supply. An old PC gained via dumpster diving can yield a pretty good PS. Just check the specs to ensure you can get enough watts off the required rails.

To add to the list of Geeetech issues:
I purchased "Pololou DRV8825 stepper drivers" off Amazon about a year ago. After issues with my first RUMBA, and now my current (functional) RUMBA issues, I flipped the installed driver off the board and saw a Geeetech logo. After looking back on my Amazon purchase history, I found I did not buy from Pololou, but Geeetech using a reputable company's name to push an inferior product.
They can't even get basic components right.

STAY. AWAY.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

Yep I feel for you. I got my prusa i3 pro C and had 2 bad drivers from the get go. I still to this day cannot get the printer working with their gt2560 board. I have since used 2 different ramps 1.4 boards and it works FINE, I also used a mightyboard and it works FINE. Using same setup as ramps back on gt2560 board no go. Ramps and GT2560 are the same with a few little config changes. Geeetech is known for misrepresenting things and they do not stand behind their products. I had to file a dispute with my bank and got my money back.

List of issues I had and replaced
main board
all steppers (replaced their a4988 with drv8825)
z threaded rods were bent
y smooth rods bent
x smooth rods bent
Z smooth rods bent
(they caused a wobble when printing (after I finally got it printing with ramps and mightyboard))
replaced all bearings because when I received theirs the balls were falling out.
they sent me a 350 watt psu that failed after 2 attempted prints, they sent me a new one claiming to be 350, it smoked and burned up opened it up and found it was only a 200 watt. it also damanged the gt2560 board.
replaced acrylic with a custom frame structure (acrylic pieces were cracked and some cracked when you barley snugged them up.
and finally a new lcd 128x64. the one they sent the sd card was broken. so I replaced the lcd while I was waiting for new sd card socket. I have since fixed that. But all in all out of a 460$ purchase, I ended up spending close to 400 more ontop of the 460.

I now have it working but I purchased a FlashForge Creator X, let me tell you. OMG this thing worked out of the box, no adjusting or tuning. no calibrating. it worked perfect. The only bad thing with flashforge, is there is a known issue that the aluminum build plate warps after a few heat cycles. Then they say "Yeah its a known issue" so then they want you to buy a piece of glass from them. They should send that free because they know its an issue. May take that up with BBB or the FTC. After spending 1021 then they want you to spend 19$ more I think isn't right. especially when purchased directly from them.

$19 for a piece of glass??? are they nuts?

Go to your local hardware store, get a piece of window glass cut to the size of your bed for a couple of bucks, stick it to the stock aluminum plate using Aqua Net super extra hold hair spray and never look back

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1