Topic: Dual Extruders and G Codes Help...

So I am new to 3D printing and am just learning the ropes. I have a Solidoodle Workbench Apprentice which has 2 extruders. I have several issues I am having problems working out on my own. i am using the latest Repetier with Slicr

1. I can manually force extruder T1 to print single filament prints by manually altering the start g code. When in slicr you can designate which extruder but I am apparently missing something to make it work automatically select the proper extruder and it just goes to the T that is set in the g code. Is there a g code that will tell it to use said extruder set to part x when you slice it?

2. Obviously Extruder T0 centers to the build plate. When I force change my G code to T1 to use the second extruder instead, where do I change my offset to shift it to the center of the build plate? It will use T1 but will still center it on the T0 extruder thus printing the part off tot he left. Not a huge problem if the part is relatively small but if it is not then it is going to print it off the plate and fail the print fast.

Re: Dual Extruders and G Codes Help...

So I have semi worked out problem one and just made a two slicer profiles to designate which extruder to use before slicing and then off to the races...

So back onto problem 2. I am still trying to figure out how to shift x-31.5 after a full z probe before it starts to print.

Here is my current start sequence. Any help is appreciated.

T0
g21; set mm units
g28 x0 y0; home x and y axes
g91
g1 z10 f5000; move bed down
g90; use absolute coordinates
g1 x0 y0 f5000; move to front
@pause
g29; probe bed
g92 e0; reset extrusion distance

There is a setting in Slic3r under Printer Settings/Extruder 2(or 1)/Extruder Offset

http://i.imgur.com/jdYWeqy.png

Try entering the x value for extruder 2 there...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

4 (edited by patrick.w.york 2015-03-13 12:21:22)

Tried that... sad It did not work. That box is just to define the extruder offset. It will not shift the print head over x prior to printing to set it in the center. It still seems to center only on T0 (extruder 1).

Pretty sure I need to work an extra line of code into my start sequence. Seems like everywhere I put the x shift it screws up the z probing for some reason. Which leads me to believe the probing will need to finish first and some kind of break is needed then an x shift then the sliced print code. I just can't seem to figure out how to write it.

I mean sure I could always manually shift my part from center placement over some but it will be a guessing game and on larger prints it will freak out anyways telling me I am out of the boundaries.

5 (edited by IronMan 2015-03-13 13:09:44)

That setting is indeed used to shift extruder 2 to the proper offset during the printing of a multi-color or multi-material part.  Notice the comment in the input box:

http://i.imgur.com/8lxqhbo.jpg

It will use the absolute coordinates to achieve this, not a specific Gcode command.  I tried slicing one of my multi-material STLs which was originally built for use with a Cyclops material switching nozzle.  I specified a 10mm offset for Ext 2.  You can see the the center portion (Ext 2) was shifted by 10mm as I specified:

http://i.imgur.com/3fVO6Dm.jpg

This only works during a multi-material print...So, I think your issue is a bit different.  Do you just want to use Extruder 2 as the primary nozzle for a single-material print?

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

IronMan wrote:

Do you just want to use Extruder 2 as the primary nozzle for a single-material print?

This is exactly what I am trying to do. Basically I want to be able to load 2 colors and be able to use either as a solo primary extruder. So if this means I need a whole new set of variables for the 2nd extruder that is fine too.

patrick.w.york wrote:
IronMan wrote:

Do you just want to use Extruder 2 as the primary nozzle for a single-material print?

This is exactly what I am trying to do. Basically I want to be able to load 2 colors and be able to use either as a solo primary extruder. So if this means I need a whole new set of variables for the 2nd extruder that is fine too.

Did you try this:

http://i.imgur.com/ilTGker.png

Then (as long as you input your desired offset as stated in a few posts above) when you slice it, even though Ext 1 is technically centered, then Extruder 2 should kick in and use the offset properly.

I did not try that. I will try it out when I get home and see how it works. I will post my results.

This is exactly what I have been trying to do. It printed it right where I wanted it. Thank you very much sir!

So glad it worked out!

Happy Printing!