Topic: Huge issue need help ASAP

My da Vinci 1.0 is doing something really weird. Basically it starts the print just fine, but after almost getting done with the first layer, it kinda pauses the moves two inches off center and starts making its rounds again. Then it will keep doing that. And it has failed every print since. I have Repetier mod .92 on the printer since it has the new board, and I'm using Repetier host, slicing with cura, and printing directly from the SD card. Can anyone help me with this?? It's got my business at a standstill

Re: Huge issue need help ASAP

Mine did that last night im thrown by it to I have no idea why. Hopefully people on here help us I have some high urgent projects which are at a standstill too

Honestly it seems like it's a software glitch, but still, I need it to work

Did you run the stl throuh netfabb? Has the model been printed before? The head will only move when and where its told to. Either by rare glitch or gcode command.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

The model has been run about 15 times flawlessly. It all started whe I tried to run a new model. Ran it through Cura, and it started messing up. Ain't been right ever since. Weather I print it from the SD card or the computer. Any troubleshooting suggestions??

Lasercigusa wrote:

The model has been run about 15 times flawlessly. It all started whe I tried to run a new model. Ran it through Cura, and it started messing up. Ain't been right ever since. Weather I print it from the SD card or the computer. Any troubleshooting suggestions??

Try slicing with Slic3r in rep host and see if it does the same. You need to get the slicer out of the equation first. Then we look at settings, hardware, and firmware.

Okay I'll try it

Very unhappy with Slic3r. It came out pretty bad. Did not shift, but came out blochy and gloopy that's why I like cura.

Lasercigusa wrote:

Very unhappy with Slic3r. It came out pretty bad. Did not shift, but came out blochy and gloopy that's why I like cura.

So it is Cura causing it. I could not get the Cura slicer that is built into Repetier host to ever work right. But if you Google Cura you will find out they have a host that the Cura slicer id built into. It seems to work much better.

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/software

Is it free?

Lasercigusa wrote:

Is it free?

Yes and considered open source. I use it more than RH now.

Okay I got my printer up and running with the Cura Host. And it's not messing up anymore, but I need some help tweeking it. I keep telling it for 80% infill, and it looks like it's giving me about 30-40%. And also the estimated time is a lot longer using a feedrate of 100 than it was with Repetier. We're on the right track, but not quite there. Any suggestions for settings??

Lasercigusa wrote:

Okay I got my printer up and running with the Cura Host. And it's not messing up anymore, but I need some help tweeking it. I keep telling it for 80% infill, and it looks like it's giving me about 30-40%. And also the estimated time is a lot longer using a feedrate of 100 than it was with Repetier. We're on the right track, but not quite there. Any suggestions for settings??

For this version of Cura you have to make changes then save them under file and save profile. The you have to open that profile to get the settings to come into the system. You can't change them on the fly like you could in the RH version. This way you can set up different profile for different filaments and colors and parts and load them each time you switch to one of those changes.

You are probably printing with the default settings they where loaded when installed and none of your settings have been made yet.

Okay, so I'll close the program and open it back up with the profile

Lasercigusa wrote:

Okay, so I'll close the program and open it back up with the profile

You don't have to close it, just make your settings, then go to file and save profile as and name it whatever. I keep mine on the desktop so it's easy to find. The just go to file, open that same profile and it will load your settings then. Once you do that it is good to print.

I did that, and still got the same result

Lasercigusa wrote:

My da Vinci 1.0 is doing something really weird. Basically it starts the print just fine, but after almost getting done with the first layer, it kinda pauses the moves two inches off center and starts making its rounds again. Then it will keep doing that. And it has failed every print since. I have Repetier mod .92 on the printer since it has the new board, and I'm using Repetier host, slicing with cura, and printing directly from the SD card. Can anyone help me with this?? It's got my business at a standstill

I have a pretty new printer with about two weeks worth of printing on it (1.0a flavor) and it starting shifting prints like this and after much testing it turns out that the wires plugging into the stepper motor on the side were rubbing back and forth on the plastic wall near the hand hold, and as those wires at the plug (for the motor and end stop sensor) wiggle back and forth it would cause my prints to randomly shift.  I tried swapping the wiring harness between the X and Y steppers to test this and got the same random shifting on the same motor.  So I think it's the plug on the stepper motor that is loosing connection as it wiggles rather than the harness.  I removed the plastic wall on that side and pushed that side up against the wall so it's not wide open, but nothing there for those wires to rub against and haven't had any issues since.

Eventually I'll probably replace that motor with one that doesn't have this type of connector, or maybe just open it up and solder the wiring harness into it.

Hope this helps!

J.

Well the problem is the slicer I've discovered. But the Cura host doesn't seem to give me a good infill

Lasercigusa wrote:

Well the problem is the slicer I've discovered. But the Cura host doesn't seem to give me a good infill

If you are looking for a top infill that looks like your bottom infill you will never get it. What exactly are you looking for in a top infill? It will never be as smooth as the sides. The top will always look some what squished or spread like icing on a cake. I have yet to see a printer under 1000 bucks lay top layer lines side by side like it does on the sides. It always squishes them based on your layer height. Now I suppose if you know exactly how many layers you have and your host allows it you could set it so the top layer is printed at a thickness very near the nozzle diameter and then it wont squish and blend the line together.

This is what it used to look like.

This is what it looked like

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.45 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

This is what it looked like on 80% infill with cura host. Doesn't look like 80% infill. The bottom layers are smooth, but the rest is really flimsy. The other picture I posted was sliced with cura in Repetier, and it's stronger than anything on 80%

Post's attachments

image.jpg 1.84 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

The black is cura in Repetier, and the yellow is slic3r in Repetier. See the quality difference?

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 1.33 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

It looks to me like you don't have Cura configured correctly in the host version if that is what you are getting at 80% Mind posting screen caps of your settings on Cura host as well as machine settings? I have never has an issue with Cura host as it has been my go to for years. Although I do use an older version. My version is 13.10 as I do not like the printer control interface of the newer versions.

Sure! Here they are

Post's attachments

image.jpg
image.jpg 3.86 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

image.jpg
image.jpg 4.08 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

image.jpg
image.jpg 4.31 mb, file has never been downloaded.