1 (edited by PseudoShooter 2015-03-06 13:08:11)

Topic: Power Consumption?

Hello All

I've had my Da Vinci for a few months now and it's getting regular, almost daily use.

Has anyone noticed a jump in their power consumption since you started using yours?

I received a pretty big bill yesterday and I was interested how much I can attribute to the printer.

Win 8.1
Improved Da Vinci 1.0 with Firmware 1.2.5 and stock extruder
Arduino cartridge resetter and after-market ABS filament
TinkerCAD, Netfabb, Simplify3D

2 (edited by scobo 2015-03-06 14:42:59)

Re: Power Consumption?

I looked into this recently and the consensus was that the average printer consumes around 100 watts while printing.
That's only the equivalent of a couple of light bulbs so won't affect your bill much, even if your printer is on all day.
Is your rise in consumption not just due to the winter period and more lighting, etc being used ?

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

3 (edited by PseudoShooter 2015-03-06 14:19:34)

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure it was the cold winter we've had but I wanted to rule out the printer as a power hog.

My electric baseboard heaters would be the lions share of my power bill unfortunately. They suck.

In retrospect, it was pretty dumb to assume it was the printer big_smile

Win 8.1
Improved Da Vinci 1.0 with Firmware 1.2.5 and stock extruder
Arduino cartridge resetter and after-market ABS filament
TinkerCAD, Netfabb, Simplify3D

4 (edited by scobo 2015-03-06 14:46:11)

PseudoShooter wrote:

In retrospect, it was pretty dumb to assume it was the printer big_smile

Not at all, it's an easy assumption to make given all the motors, heaters and electrics involved but when you break it all down, they don't use as much power as you would expect.
My wife had been hassling me about this thinking the printer was costing a fortune to run.
Heck, our LCD tv probably uses more power !

Based on the label on the back it draws 4 amps. So 4 amps times 120 volts = 480 watts. That based on American 120 VAC service.

If you live in an area that uses 240 VAC service it would still be 480 watts.

Roughly it is the same as running five 100 watt bulbs the entire time you are printing. Of course that rating is at max draw which would be during printing. Idling would be much less along the line of about .5 amps.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Wow, that's a fair bit more than I thought !
Although, even that shouldn't account for much of an increase in your electricity bill.

7 (edited by Tin Falcon 2015-03-07 21:39:17)

if you really want to know There is a product called  Kill a watt . hey are available at home centers etc. base model is iirc the P3 and about $20  there are other brands and models as well. plug it int the wall ant then plug in whatever appliance you want to monitor. It will calculate energy use.   Basically a portable  plug in electric meter.
Just because a printer has and uses a 350 watt power supply does not mean it uses that much all the time.  heat beds and extruders and motors are constantly cycling. And if you are using a dedicated computer  you need to include that in the circuit that uses power as well.
Hope this helps.
tin

PS the cost of electricity here in the US is about $0.12 per Kilowatt hour or 1000 watts for 1 hour  so if for sake of argument you are drawing  333 watts  and running the printer 9 hours a day the cost per day would be less than  50 cents a day.
Ok I see you are in Ontario but the above statement is still true as your peak rates are still less than $0.15 per KWH.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I looked into this recently and the consensus was that the average printer consumes around 100 watts while printing.
That's only the equivalent of a couple of light bulbs so won't affect your bill much, even if your printer is on all day.
Is your rise in consumption not just due to the winter period and more lighting, etc being used ?

Today for kicks and giggles  I plugged the p3 killowatt into the 3d printer while printing some parts.  The soliddodle 4 stock  is drawing between  60 and 160 watts as the heaters cycle.  and in all fairness you need to add another 20 watts for the lap top. so the above estimate I would say is pretty realistic.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura