Topic: Raspberry Pi as print server running Repetier-Server

Repetier-Server is now up and running. 

github.com/repetier/Repetier-Server - not enough posts to post a link apparently...

Works on my 512Mb Raspberry Pi, though I did have to create a profile to connect to the solidoodle2, and recompile Marlin with the serial link set to 115200 baud.

That combined with a pass through port on my router and a dynamicdns.org connection (also setup the Raspberry Pi as a VPN server), and I can now print things at home from work all via the web :-)

Here is what went into the solidoodle2.cfg file that I mentioned:

version="1.0";
active=true;
printer:{
name="Solidoodle 2";
slugName="Solidoodle2"; // Unique name with ascii chars without space,tab. Is$
connection:{
device="/dev/ttyUSB0";
//baudrate=250000;
baudrate=115200; //
pingPong=false; // Allow sending more then one command if it fits into prin$
readCacheSize=63; // Size of the printer cache. May be 63 for some printer.
/* Communication protocol used to communicate with this printer:
0 = ascii protocol - works with all reprap firmwares
1 = Repetier-Protocol V1 - requires Repetier-Firmware
2 = Repetier-Protocol V2 - requires Repetier-Firmware 0.80 or higher */
protocol=0;
okAfterResend=true; // Does your firmware send a ok after sending a resend $
};
dimension:{xmin=0.0;
ymin=0.0;
zmin=0.0;
xmax=159.0;
ymax=150.0;
zmax=143.0;
};
homing:{
xhome=159.0; // Coordinates after homing x axis
yhome=150.0; // Coordinates after homing x axis
zhome=0.0; // Coordinates after homing x axis
};
speed:{
xaxis=50.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
yaxis=50.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
zaxis=5.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
eaxisExtrude=2.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
zaxis=5.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
eaxisExtrude=2.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
eaxisRetract=20.0; // Move speed in mm/s for manual moves
};
extruder:{
count=1; // Number of extruder on that device
tempUpdateEvery=1; // Update temperature every x seconds
};
};

Re: Raspberry Pi as print server running Repetier-Server

Any issues with the 115k communication speed?

Thus far, no. But I only just got this working.

This looks awesome, been hanging out for this.

I just had the idea, of using the Sanguinolulo's design flaw to an advantage. It is known that the 7805 voltage reg, and the USB 5v share the same rail, causing problems. So Cut and splice a USB B and USB Micro cable together. Power the RaspPi from the the Sanguinolulo itself.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

No cutting/splicing needed, as the standard USB conector from the Solidoodle2 to Raspberry Pi will power the RPi. Appears to work just fine, but I have not tried it long term or measured temperatures yet...

matt_johnson63 wrote:

No cutting/splicing needed, as the standard USB conector from the Solidoodle2 to Raspberry Pi will power the RPi. Appears to work just fine, but I have not tried it long term or measured temperatures yet...

Ahhh, didn't cross my mind that would also be all one 5v rail on the RPi

I will have a play with this tonight as well.

Lead Programmer & Co-Owner of Camshaft Software - Creators of Automation - The Car Company Tycoon Game

7 (edited by elmoret 2013-01-16 01:31:31)

matt_johnson63 wrote:

The RPi is rated at 3.5w. That's 0.75A. Add the arduino, a wifi adapter, and you're over 1A. That's an awful lot for that unheatsinked 7805 - it's 7 watts of heat for it to dissipate.

EDIT: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt … p?p=164893

I wouldn't run wifi on it, but I will probably add a heatsink on it. The current draw of the 644p is negligible, (0.4mA at 1mhz)

caswal wrote:

I wouldn't run wifi on it, but I will probably add a heatsink on it. The current draw of the 644p is negligible, (0.4mA at 1mhz)

The 644p runs at 16Mhz. It draws 14ma at that speed, which isn't too much, but I was lumping in everything else that rides the +5v bus as well:

FTDI chip (15ma)
LED (3ma)
Stepper drivers (8ma each = 32ma)

For a total of 64ma. Not a ton, I'm not sure it's negligible.

I am running this (with hardwired connection rather than WIFI) with a USB micro cell phone charger supplying power to the RPi (and webcam through the RPi).

After letting this run through the first couple of prints, it appears to be having/creating a couple of issues: seems to be changing the geometry of parts (vs. gcode), and seems to be extruding more plastic than Repetier-Host.  I do not yet know if this is from the change in baud rate, a bugs in the software, or something in the Raspberry Pi.  Trying the same .gcode file from Repetier-Host now (as soon as the bed is up to temp) to see if it is normal, or if the lower baud rate is the culprit.

I always wondered why the baud rate is soo high, 250000 bps it is effectively 32kb per second. It can't be transmitting anyway near that much gcode to the Sanguinololu, or even receiving that much in temperature info. Perhaps there is something I am missing or unaware of. So I really doubt it is the lower baud rate.

If anyone is interested. I have a meter that measures volts/amps on a usb connection. 

To add my 2 cents to the raspberry pi power usage.

I've never measured a wifi device over .5a..  Typically it's about .432 amps with wifi running which is only .067 amps over the average power usage without wifi.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=15128

The print geometry issues should theoretically be fixed now.  And there is a compiled version under the downloads tab at repetier

I LIKEY!!!
I've been wondering when somebody was going to figure out using RaspberryPi as a 3DPrint Server. It seems reasonable considering they're small and cheap.

SD2 w/ mods: Rumba controller, ATX PSU, SD pro case, glass bed, with more to come...

My 2c:

I would like to see a more backend approach, with a client/server arrangement, similar to using repetier with a virtual USB connection, Now that I think of it, you could get away with just network USB solution with 2 USB ports on the far end, that way you can run a webcam and use a virtual serial port, and you could still use repetier-host the same as you would have before, no RPi needed. I did give the server a small go on my old Model B but it froze midway and started melting the prints.
I'm pretty sure there is a linux program that actually does do that netusb maybe?
Cheers

I have tried powering the rpi from the sanguinololu, although it boots fine, you will run into issues printing.

minooch wrote:

I have tried powering the rpi from the sanguinololu, although it boots fine, you will run into issues printing.

I have not had issues with printing through the RPi, but I also power it with a USB micro cell phone charger.  You do have to make sure that if you shut the printer or PRi off that you disconnect the USB cable between the two, otherwise one will try to power the other through said cable.

Sorry , but because i am completely noob i need to know where i could find this solidoodle2.cfg file to change the values in order to make repetier-server function properly.

Thank you!

xkrpz wrote:

Sorry , but because i am completely noob i need to know where i could find this solidoodle2.cfg file to change the values in order to make repetier-server function properly.

Thank you!

You need to either edit one of the existing printer profiles or create a new one - unfortunately I am not good enough with linux to tell you how to do either (I just muddled my way through).

thank you matt_johnson63,

i anyone could give some instructions how to edit one of the existing printer profiles or create a new one.

Much appreciated! smile

xkrpz: I believe you just copy and paste matt_johnson's config stuff into a text file and name it solidoodle2.cfg and put it in the Config directory of the Repetier-Server folder.

Here is an example of the 3 configs that it comes with:
https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Se … er/configs

thank you very much nickythegreek. I am going to test it smile

I am a linux noob and i have a noob question/request:

I got raspberry pi version B. I installed Raspbian distribution from NOOBS image to the 16GB card in the pi.
Wired and wireless network works fine, but i was not (yet) successfull in installing repetier to the pi.
Repetier website states that repetier needs Mono framework, but when i try to download MONO i get an error stating that not all packages are avaiable off the network. Is there a downloadable version or is there a certain software server i need to add to search path?

I am a linux noob, so treat me as such.
Thanks ahead.

How is the pi connected to the sanguino? Does it connect like an ordinary laptop through the usb port? Ridiculously noob question, but had to ask. Thanks for the config!! Have to wait for my wifi adapter to arrive before I can do a full test, but got Repetier-Server up and running.

PCM81, All you need to do is download the archived, precompiled file off of the downloads section from http://www.repetier.com/repetier-server-download/, read the install.txt and copy/paste the commands into the terminal. I actually had problems installing the lastest NOOBS, so I went with Raspbian Weezer instead (whoo hoo I look just like Buddy Holly).

Grand Rapids, Michigan
SD2 with Sanguinololu board, glass bed mod, E3d_v5 bowden version hotend (currently direct drive), Lawsy Mk5 jigsaw replacement, octopi printserver, drv8825(tiny troubles)